Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
value of 1987 Excella 34'

All,

What would be a good price for a 1987 Excella 34?

It was recently remodeled with new upholstery, water heater, fridge, toilet, furnace, and hardwood floors.

The tires are a year old, the bearings were repacked last month and the brakes checked.

The NADA website says $5000.

The unit is currently listed for $19,500.

It looks very nice in the photos.

Thanks,

Woody
Woody.303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Hum??!! There are many new appliances, which leaves me wondering why. Also note the new flooring and upholstery. I would really have this unit inspected very carefully. If everything was replaced just to have new, then I would say it is still priced too high. If all of this was replaced due to water damage, then I would run away from this unit. I have seen several early 90's 34' Excella's and Limiteds going for the $20k range recently. There appears to be downward pricing pressure on 34' in recent months, and there seems to be more units available as well.

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:30 AM   #3
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
It depends

I agree you need to inspect the trailer to get a fair price. I paid $8,000 for my 25 and since have repaired the rusted frame, repaired to significant sections of floor, new axles and shocks, polishing, new upholstry on gaucho, new refrig logic board.

With all that I am still way under the $19,500 asking price and have the trailer finished the way I want it. I don't know what the +/- is between a 34 and 25 since many people prefer the smaller units these days (although I would love to have a dinette).

Good Luck.
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:35 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
All,

Thanks for the replies, and the heads up. If I decide to make the 6 hour drive to take a look, I'll definitely get a fellow member to come along for the inspection. The non-biased opinions are priceless.

I'm in the process of emailing back and forth with intentions of getting more information. (I just sent him an email asking why all the appliances were replaced.) I haven't yet asked for his bottom dollar, but I will. He did mention in the ad that he wouldn't refuse any reasonable offer. If I was able to talk him down to $16,000 would that be a better deal?

Thanks,

Woody
Old 03-30-2009, 08:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Certainly $16k is more reasonable than $19,500. I think at this point you need to see the unit first hand, as it appears you are very interested. There are too many factors to decide whether or not this is a good price. Does it have awnings for all windows? What shape is the clear coat in? Is the unit in great working condition, including water pump, gauges, stove, audio, drapes, etc.? What is the reason for the replacement of the major mechanics? Was the redone upholstery done correctly?

We sure do love our 34'. There are many more of them out there, so good luck with this unit, or where ever your search takes you. Do take lots of pictures!

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
Old 03-30-2009, 09:18 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
All,

I got an email reply this morning. I'll sum up what he has said:

The reason for the upholstery was merely for a newer updated look.

The water heater was replaced because the original started to only work sporadically, and had an aftermarket circuit board attached to it with duct tape.

The furnaces were replaced when one of the two went kaput in the middle of winter in Montana. (I spent a summer in Idaho, and I know how cold it gets up there.)

The toilet was replaced after the new floor went down. The toilet wasn't re-installed properly after the floor went down, and started to leak. He decided to replace it with a new toilet instead of using the old one again. A new tube from toilet to tank was also installed to prevent further leaks. **I am concerned about subfloor, and possible frame, damage due to his comments. If the toilet was replaced soon after finding the leak, it shouldn't be a problem.**

He says he replaced the fridge because it was starting to yellow inside, and wanted a newer updated model. The original worked fine.

The AC is original and works fine, as are the fans.

The stove and oven are original and work fine.

It sounds to me like he has spent quite a bit of money repairing things, and is looking to get 100% of it back.

Woody
Old 03-30-2009, 09:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Here is but a couple of other 34' for comparison:
93 Airstream classic/limited 34'

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-...ZRVsQ5fCampers

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-...orsQ5fTrailers

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
Old 03-30-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
the deal has fallen apart

All,

I spoke with my credit union about financing for this unit, with hopes of being able to talk the seller down a bit.

The CU informed me that I would have to get an appraisal done on the rig, and said appraisal would have to include receipts for all the recent work.

I got in touch with Silverpal for an appraisal, and he was more than willing to perform the services. A big "Thank You" here.

After many emails, the seller broke the whole thing off and said he would keep the rig.

Thanks for all the replies and information.

Woody