Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Salida , Colorado
The RM 3807 is over 20 yrs old and has been discontinued; as such it is necessary to replace it with a newer Dometic model. I was told that there is a matrix of some sort on the Dometic website the aid with the selection, only I couldn't find it. (Turns out it is a pdf file) I tried to send an email to Dometic as I was not able to get thru on their 800#. Someone called within 15 min of sending the email and told me where to find this... very useful. While speaking to them, I was informed that the fridge (insulation) will gradually lose Rvalue. I didn't know this. Interesting, isn't it? The Dometic rep recommended I get a new unit and not try to fix the old one. I thought all of you would want to know this. I think I will pull out the old unti before deciding what will fit. Although a bit more $, I would have more piece of mind knowing that all the food I just bought won't spoil should the old unit break down again and ruin my trip! Thanks again
Old 04-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
Is this your new trailer?
I just read back on this and he was asking $12k, and you got it for $9500?
That's awesome. (for you) Enough saved to buy a sparkling new fridge.
And he's carrying a loan for you? Very awesome. and congrats on the purchase. She looks like a beauty. Let's see some more pics!
-Kevin
Old 04-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #23
Rivet Master

I agree with Kevin about replacing rather than fixing the fridge. Rebuilding the coil makes even less sense than buying a new coil. The reason the coil wore out in the first place is because the heat burned through it and weakened all of it not just the place the rebuilder may have fixed.
I found his account of buying his Airstream interesting. He found an Airstream that had been loved and mostly kept in repair. Regardless of price, that is a much better choice than one that has been abused and/or neglected.
There are a lot of neglected, worn out Airstreams out there for sale at ridiculous prices.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:33 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Salida , Colorado
Reply to last two posts...

Handn - I would agree... I have seen several AS for sale that were priced too high; some were priced to move, others were just sky high. I discovered that dealers (both AS & car dealers) tend to ask far too much. I got lucky - this AS was parked outside of an RV park just down the road from my home. I decided to stop in and see if the ower happened to be around (I wanted to look inside). As luck would have it, the TT was owned by the local artist who had already tried to sell it a few months ago. (Of course, I couldn't let it go without making a play for it, so I began nogotiating.) I also own several WWII military vehicles, so this was not my first rodeo when it comes to sizing up what you have, what's needed to restore it, and what it will cost.

OutofControl - I found spider webs and lots of dust when I opened the acccess panel to the fridge. I plan to replace the entire unit. No sense messing around. I don't want something else to crap out when you least expect it (did I mention that Murphy is a close relative). I have the luxury of having time and the space to work on this throughout the summer. I hope to get it roadworthy and take in on our first trip this fall. Here are some additional pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010067.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	182517   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010068.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	182518  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010071.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	182519   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010073.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	182520  

Old 04-04-2013, 11:37 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Salida , Colorado
You will notice that the front plastic (smoked) window is broken. Are these difficult to repair? Where do I get them? Both wrap around windows are either cracked or broken, so I think it makes sense to replace all of them. Any thoughts, comments or ideas of this?