Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2021, 01:00 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamerican View Post
I like the Oliver and think it's a well built RV. My problem it that it's too small for my needs. If they made a 28', I might be able to make it work, but 30' would really be preferable, at least to me.
You and I seem to be in an echo chamber.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:54 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
2020 30' Classic
Hubbard , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorguy View Post
Here is what can happen when you think you are in the Driver's Seat and hold all the cards, (Airstream).

We are sorry to report that we changed our mind on Airstream and just bought a new Oliver Trailer. BTW, we are not their first convert! If you are not familiar with them, I suggest you take a look.

See you on the Road.

Pat

I have a friend who has a 2017 Oliver, I believe it is the 23í model. I do agree that they are very well built, but these are a limited product trailer and I would expect better quality from such a company. I can tell you I would never own one due to the lack of space, they are only 7í wide barely enough room to turn around in. I know style is subjective, but the interior is very sterile, the sink and stove and refrigerator are small and I donít like how the cabinet doors fold down and very few windows Iím assuming due to 4 season capabilities. The quality is there but for the price I also want to be comfortably and enjoy having friend over with room for everyone.

Iím sure all your friends on the Oliver forum will disagree, after all I am an Airstream addict for a reason. Happy camping!!!
TKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 02:42 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Here is what can happen when you think you are in the Driver's Seat and hold all the cards, (Airstream).
We are sorry to report that we changed our mind on Airstream and just bought a new Oliver Trailer. BTW, we are not their first convert! If you are not familiar with them, I suggest you take a look.
See you on the Road.

Pat
good luck... Your choice.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:21 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
A good friend and I were both wanting Airstreams. He was coming up on retirement (I'm still aways off), he and his wife decided to go with an Oliver instead, has been very happy w/ it. But, I finally pulled the trigger, but went w/ a 20FC. He was very excited for me, we have the kitchen his wife wanted. I don't think they regret their Oliver in any way, but they understand why we had to go w/ an Airstream for our choice, too.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:34 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Caravel
Cincinnati , OH
Big Gulp Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
As soon as they decide to build one in the 28 to 30 foot range, I might too.
I believe in the "Big Gulp Theory!" Remember when a 6oz Coke was normal, then 12oz, then 16oz, now you need a 32oz Big Gulp. What going on? This has occurred throughout our Society, houses/cars/Food Portions (Big Macs) RV/our personal weight/Airstreams! Why? Are we going to keep getting things bigger and bigger? Here is my proof! My Dad's Airstream was a 22-foot Safari pulled by his 1961 Ford Galaxie, 6 cylinders, 3-speed Trans, no AC. Now there are fewer and fewer vehicles that can pull a normal size Trailer, much less a 30-foot AS. Unfortunately, IMHO, the fallback position is all too often a 1/2 -3/4 Ton Pick-Up or a 32oz drink. Understand the relationship?
I think I see a "Down Sizing Trend" in the RV Industry! More Trailer Manufacturers are offering Smaller and Lighter Trailers/Motor Home Vehicles to meet the "Customer Driven Market Place." Not only is this driven by "'Customer Demand, but also by Smaller Tow Vehicles and Higher Gas Prices and skyrocketing RV Prices. Don't forget the comments/complaints that larger Trailers/MH can't fit in a normal size Camp Site! Note, the rest of the World's RV Industry has much smaller RVs because of the above-mentioned items. We should go to school on them and learn! This is very apparent in the Motor Home Industry, where today you can buy a large "Class A" MH for much less money than a comparative "Class B/B+" All of this should tell us that the RV Industry is in Transition! Furthermore, there is no doubt that Market Conditions are going to be changing in the near future, you don't want to be on the wrong side of these changes!
The above also weighed into our decision to buy an Oliver, which is the equivalent of the above 6oz Coke. In an "era" when most RV manufacturers, including AS, are Dumbing Down their Trailer Design and not thinking "Outside the Box," while using cheaper and cheaper material, to counter the above factors. Oliver, on the other hand, is in a class by themselves, much like AS used to be!
Sailorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:45 PM   #46
Trilla the Traveling Tube

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
Sailorguy;
I would not trade my 2018 22FB Sport for anything. Love the size and love how my TV pulls it like butter :0)
kpfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 02:13 PM   #47
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Iíve always heard good things about Oliver also. Hereís a few surprises at least to me..
This was the top of the page when I searched ďOliver trailersĒ.

https://supersizelife.com/oliver-tra...things-i-hate/

If there is a ďXĒ month backlog to get an AS, Iím not sure much will change, at least in the near future.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:24 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Caravel
Cincinnati , OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamerican View Post
I like the Oliver and think it's a well built RV. My problem it that it's too small for my needs. If they made a 28', I might be able to make it work, but 30' would really be preferable, at least to me. But even Oliver's Legacy II starts at about $63k right? Not sure what percent off list, but a 30' FC can with the once 19% could be had for marginally more than the Legacy II and have roughly 7 more feet for space. If it was just me and Mrs Panamerican, it'd be fine, but with the kids/pets, 23' isn't in my future.
I understand. I wonder what the Lenght Percentages are for AS, i.e. 16-22 footer, 23-30+ footer, compared to the same Models in the '60s, '70s, 80s, '90s and now the '20s?
I think the "Big Gulp Theory" has played a role, remember the 6oz Cokes, they grew to 12oz, then 16oz and now 32oz Big Gulps, we didn't need this! This wasn't based on Market Demands but we were lead by Marketing Companies that told us we needed these sizes, it wasn't true then, and it not true now. The RV Industry has lead us down the road with the huge Motor Homes and 5th Wheel Trailer as well as the Travel trailer, they are generally TO Big, we have out grown our Camp Ground Site, many RV don't fit anymore.
Sailorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:22 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
My wife is actually the one who pointed this out to me: we were tent-pitchers for so long, she wanted a tent w/ a better bed, a kitchen, and her own bathroom, not a house. Our 20' is a super nice 'tent', not a replacement house.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:30 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
Quote:
See you on the Road.

Pat
These are awesome trailers. If I ever find myself in need of a 4 season camper I will look there first. Until then Airstream and the gorgeous windows will be my camper of choice. Oliver trailers are super solid and they will be something you can hand down.

Airstream finally made a big change towards longevity with the new floor. If I were buying a new trailer today I would pay many thousands more for the new floor. Surely this is impacting prices?
Peter417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:43 AM   #51
4 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNBright View Post
My wife is actually the one who pointed this out to me: we were tent-pitchers for so long, she wanted a tent w/ a better bed, a kitchen, and her own bathroom, not a house. Our 20' is a super nice 'tent', not a replacement house.
This is what I tell people all the time. Do you want a really nice tent or a really small house?

We are tent people and the small trailers have everything we need and the larger trailers offer very little benefit to us.
Peter417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 11:06 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
I understand. I wonder what the Lenght Percentages are for AS, i.e. 16-22 footer, 23-30+ footer, compared to the same Models in the '60s, '70s, 80s, '90s and now the '20s?
I think the "Big Gulp Theory" has played a role, remember the 6oz Cokes, they grew to 12oz, then 16oz and now 32oz Big Gulps, we didn't need this! This wasn't based on Market Demands but we were lead by Marketing Companies that told us we needed these sizes, it wasn't true then, and it not true now. The RV Industry has lead us down the road with the huge Motor Homes and 5th Wheel Trailer as well as the Travel trailer, they are generally TO Big, we have out grown our Camp Ground Site, many RV don't fit anymore.
Bigger is better, it's still America!
Old 03-18-2021, 12:46 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
I would not be able to enjoy Oliver campers due to severe lack of storage. stuff would be stored on floor while traveling as well in TV's. I love the ingenious storage spaces in Airstream models.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote