Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2006, 07:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
2009 28' Flying Cloud
Piedmont , Quebec
Send a message via AIM to maerix
Question USA vs Canadian MSRP for AS

Does anyone know if there is a difference between USA and Canada regarding the MSRP.

We just get a price estimate from a dealer in Canada for a brand new AS and we was surprized to get "his best price" over the MSRP from the Airstream website.

thanks for your comments !
maerix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 08:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Welcome to the Forums maerix!

MSRP is a starting point but discounts are common on all but the most in-demand units. I hear about discounts of 10% to 15% (and more for the aggressive shopper). There is a lot of markup on RVs. You should be able to shop several dealers to get some idea of who is more flexible. It is hard to buy the lowest price Airstream from a distant dealer if a closer dealer has a superior reputation for customer service.

It makes some sense that they'd discount a unit sitting on the lot. They should discount a unit ordered by at least the same amount -- a direct sale has minimal additional costs for them, and often less!

I ordered my 2006 25' FB SE in July 2005 before dealers were familiar with the model and how hot its sales would become. This is a high demand model and I hear it is hard to get discounts on it at all now!

I'm assuming your price comparisons include compensation for exchange rate. Used Airstreams can be imported to Canada. New? I think Canada has some electric code differences that have to be built in (ordered) before you can import new units. Not real sure there -- but something to check out.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 08:46 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
There are some special considerations for construction for Airstreams sold in Canada. Not sure how much that adds to the Airstream, but I would think that a 18% off deal could be reached, unless it costs more to "ship" an Airstream to Canada and there are taxes, etc due like there are shipping other goods to Canada. I ship stuff via eBay to Canada sometimes and there are customs taxes paid on things going in.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 09:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Maerix:

The prices appearing on the Airstream Website are expressed in US DOLLARS.

Your Canadian dealer would have quoted you in Canadian Dollars.

A MSRP of say $45,598 US would convert to $49,684.30 Canadian TODAY, for instance.

Keep in mind that the MSRP does NOT include options and it is unlikely that a dealer will have a trailer WITHOUT any options, so that will add to the price as well.

The extra cost to meet Canadian DOT regulations runs between $400 to $500 US extra, depending on the model ordered.

With all of this in mind, you can solicit offers from US dealers in the Eastern States.

Importing an Airstream to Canada by yourself is not difficult. All models are approved and the process is simple.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 10:40 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Bowmanville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
Maerix:

The prices appearing on the Airstream Website are expressed in US DOLLARS.

Your Canadian dealer would have quoted you in Canadian Dollars.

A MSRP of say $45,598 US would convert to $49,684.30 Canadian TODAY, for instance.

Keep in mind that the MSRP does NOT include options and it is unlikely that a dealer will have a trailer WITHOUT any options, so that will add to the price as well.

The extra cost to meet Canadian DOT regulations runs between $400 to $500 US extra, depending on the model ordered.

With all of this in mind, you can solicit offers from US dealers in the Eastern States.

Importing an Airstream to Canada by yourself is not difficult. All models are approved and the process is simple.

Sergei
Wow, where can you convert Canadian to U.S. for under 9% extra? Try about 17% extra which would take that Airstream of 45,598 to about 53,350. I believe you can order a Canadian spec trailer from a U.S. dealer. I forget where I read that, probably on this forum. There is one dealer in all of Ontario so going to the U.S. to get a good price might make sense.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Basecamp:

I used the calculator on the TD Bank web site yesterday. Maybe it was Friday’s figure or maybe I made a mistake in transcribing it.

Today’s rate @ $1.1371 cents works out to $51,849.50.

The Canadian dollar is at 10 year high. That’s why I bought my Dodge Sprinter tow vehicle in Grand Rapids, Michigan recently.

For the St. Adel, Quebec man there is a dealer in suburban Montréal but he would probably do better, price wise, with an Eastern States US dealer.

He will have to pay GST and PST at the border so it will help if he can buy it some place were he doesn’t have to pay State tax or can get the tax refunded.

Even if he where to pay a State tax, he might still come out ahead.

The few Canadian dealers are used to having the market for themselves and don’t try too hard to get their sales.

A US dealer can easily add the Canadian CSA/DOT option and self-importing is straightforward.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:49 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Calgary , Alberta
Cdn vs. USA

Maerix,

we just purchased an 06' 19' CCD from a dealer in Missoula. After negotiating with the Canadian retailers and the US retailers, there was no comparison in terms of 'sticker price' and 'wiggle room' with the US dealer.

There is definitely more sales volume for Airstreams south of the border and we were able to work a significantly better deal with the Dealer in Montana, at least I assume that was a factor.

To give a sense we were able to get a 2006 19' CCD for under 40k including CSA model, solar panel, inverter, AV upgrade w/ 15" TV, 2nd fantastic fan, awning package, electric hitch, range cover, etc. The canadian dealer couldn't even come close to that price.

my 0.02
b. (impatiently awaiting April 15th!)
bradk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:04 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Bowmanville , Ontario
Quote:
Basecamp:

I used the calculator on the TD Bank web site yesterday. Maybe it was Friday’s figure or maybe I made a mistake in transcribing it.

The Canadian dollar is at 10 year high. That’s why I bought my Dodge Sprinter tow vehicle in Grand Rapids, Michigan recently.

For the St. Adel, Quebec man there is a dealer in suburban Montréal but he would probably do better, price wise, with an Eastern States US dealer.

He will have to pay GST and PST at the border so it will help if he can buy it some place were he doesn’t have to pay State tax or can get the tax refunded.

The few Canadian dealers are used to having the market for themselves and don’t try too hard to get their sales.

A US dealer can easily add the Canadian CSA/DOT option and self-importing is straightforward.

Sergei
The Canadian dollar was much higher about 10 days ago, today you would have to multiply the U.S. $ amount by 1.18 It would be good to buy in Montana, they don't have a sales tax there.

Foreign Exchange Rates
Effective March 13 2006

Commercial and Corporate customers: Get live foreign exchange quotes, execute trades and browse transaction history with ScotiaFX.

Country
Currency/Code
Client Buys (Pays Canadian)
Client Sells (Receives Canadian)

United States Dollar (USD)

Old 03-13-2006, 04:04 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Bowmanville , Ontario
Quote:
Basecamp:

Sergei
The Canadian dollar was much higher about 10 days ago, today you would have to multiply the U.S. $ amount by 1.18 It would be good to buy in Montana, they don't have a sales tax there.

Foreign Exchange Rates
Effective March 13 2006

Commercial and Corporate customers: Get live foreign exchange quotes, execute trades and browse transaction history with ScotiaFX.

Country
Currency/Code
Client Buys (Pays Canadian)
Client Sells (Receives Canadian)

United States Dollar (USD)

Old 03-13-2006, 05:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Sales tax

In closing a deal in an American state, it is common for a dealer to exclude the state sales tax with the understanding you will be exporting the trailer out-of-state. You probably would still be liable for sales taxes in your area as a condition of obtaining a license.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:27 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
2009 28' Flying Cloud
Piedmont , Quebec
Send a message via AIM to maerix
Thanks for your advise !

We got a deal with a "newest" airstream dealer in Ottawa, Ontario for a 2006 19' Safari Bambi SE with some option !

"To give a sense we were able to get a 2006 19' CCD for under 40k including CSA model, solar panel, inverter, AV upgrade w/ 15" TV, 2nd fantastic fan, awning package, electric hitch, range cover, etc. The canadian dealer couldn't even come close to that price."

After a long discussion with the dealer, we got it under 50000$ can. (43000$ US)

Trust me the next one will be purchased in USA, (Burlington, Vermont dealer)

By the end of april we will be part of AS Team !
maerix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 08:38 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Just my 2 cents' worth...

The U.S. msrp for a 25' International CCD is $53,723 (USD). I was quoted a price in my hometown for $78,000 (CAD). Throwing the US price through an online converter gives me just over $60,000 CAD.

I know that exchange rates fluctuate, and prices can be negotiated, but with a nearly $20,000 price difference between Canadian and US prices, the choice for me is an easy one. I have the luxury of living close to the US border so will be looking south of the border for my Airstream.

I don't quite understand the major (in my opinion) price discrepancy. The trailers are manufactured in the US, therefore aren't subject to any duties (free trade and all that). I've done my research and it seems to be a very straight-forward affair to import an Airstream trailer into Canada.

Do many people purchase new trailers up in Canada? I'd like to give my business locally, but can't quite seem to swallow "giving away" $20,000...

-Michelle
Mackhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 10:23 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Calgary , Alberta
well...

There's a few things that are factored into that I would imagine:

1. The CDN dealer probably pays quite a bit more to bring the trailer across the border and factors that into it (transportation costs etc).

2. The CDN vs. US currency has undergone such a shift, the pricing would not reflect that the CDN dollar is doing so much better versus the greenback.

3. CDN dealers will typically only order in one or two trailers as they are not big sellers in Canada due to the price (from dealers I have talked to up here), there's probably a cost savings for a place like Colonial who orders in multiple units at a time.

Does it add up to 20g's in difference? Probably not, I bought mine stateside as well.

b.

We raised over 1.3 Million dollars for Cancer Reseach this year. Great job team!!
bradk is offline   Reply With Quote