Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2017, 08:10 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Costa Mesa , California
To repair or not to repair

I want to sell my 2000 Excella 25. A couple of months ago I jack knifed my trailer and truck damaging the right front corner segment. I got two quotes for segment replacement. Both in the $3k range. I want to minimize the financial pain of my bone head move. I can think of 3 options: full repair, patch or do nothing. Full repair is out of the question. I'm torn between patch and do nothing. I've attached a pic of the damage and the patch I'm considering. What would you guys do.

Any insights given will greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Wildwash
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170608_183905.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	287138   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170608_183853.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	287140  

Old 06-08-2017, 08:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
For me, if shopping I would not want any sort of patch on a late model trailer, either repair to new or discount for damage.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:08 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
My opinion...no experience.
As a seller: Sell as is
As a buyer: Patch or live with it. Minor damage on a 17 year old trailer, price would be reflective of the damage.
For a patch, I'd slip it under the mid-line trim and attach with adhesive to avoid rivet holes (potential leaks) and hide it behind the rock guards.
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:20 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
If that was mine I'd just leave it as is. That Airstream sign in your photo just looks out of place. There is somebody who makes aluminum patches that are sort of sculptures though just as thick as sheet metal and if you found one that you liked that would probably look good, or at least better than the black sign. To me panel replacement is pretty drastic unless the damage is very severe.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:58 PM   #5
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Leave it
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Is your trailer insured? If so, make the claim, pay the deductible, and get the repair done right. Even a $500 deductible is chump change compared to what you will have to discount your selling price in order to get buyers to bite.

No insurance? Well, leave it alone then, and maybe you will find a buyer who can live with it without beating you to death on the price.

Look at it this way--we buy these trailers for their aesthetics. This is why polishing a vintage trailer adds $10k to the selling price.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:14 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
albuquerque , New Mexico
Repair

As an A&P mechanic, I would take the option to repair it myself. JMHO.
splintair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:43 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1993 32' Excella
Woodburn , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwash View Post
I want to sell my 2000 Excella 25. A couple of months ago I jack knifed my trailer and truck damaging the right front corner segment. I got two quotes for segment replacement. Both in the $3k range. I want to minimize the financial pain of my bone head move. I can think of 3 options: full repair, patch or do nothing. Full repair is out of the question. I'm torn between patch and do nothing. I've attached a pic of the damage and the patch I'm considering. What would you guys do.

Any insights given will greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Wildwash
I'm with most of the previous responses. Leave it as it is. A prospective buyer will get a nice discount and you will not have to endure any additional pain. You should, however, get a couple of good estimates on the cost of a professional repair, e.g., Jackson Center, OH, Flyte Camp, in OR, and P&S Trailer Services, Helena, OH. I think most can give you a fairly accurate cost from a series of good pictures.

Then take the estimates and research the range of prices for a model similar to yours that are undamaged. You can then deduct the repair cost and have a reasonable range to expect to get for your AS.

Good luck.

David Parker
1993 Excella
1989 Dodge D-350
davidlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:06 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Pensacola , Florida
to repair or not

From the looks of the damage in your pictures, I would be inclined to leave it and I would certainly not use that patch.
jalewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:24 PM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I certainly would not patch it. If you sell it as is, be prepared for a discount. A good bet is that a $3K repair will turn into a $6K to $9K discount depending on how long you want to wait to sell it. The market is right for a sale now, so a price that pushes you out to October likely puts you into next spring. Trailers are not at all odd in this respect. Cars, trucks, and homes all have the same sort of "lopsided discount" issue when it comes to repairs. People just don't want the hassle. Since there are a lot of unknowns until a repair is completed, any number anybody has is just a guess. That also drives the discount as well.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:29 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Costa Mesa , California
Thanks to everyone for your input. I'm going leave it.
Wildwash