Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
Time to Sell???

We have a 2007 Airstream that is used on a limited basis. It is stored indoors for the winter and remains in my drive for the summer. I do not need the money fortunately but I was thinking of selling it this spring/2009. Given our deplorable economy do you think there will be buyers or am I wasting my time? It is a 25 ft. SE FB, Safari with leather like seats and with a Hensley Hitch which I would throw in.
woodedareas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:05 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Dealers are offering deep discounts on new leftover units that have Ben sitting on their lots. This is going to drive the price of your unit down. Buyers are going to find it very difficult to get a loan to purchase a used unit as well. This is not a good time to be selling.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Then again, there have to be latent survivalists like me who take comfort in the mobility & security of an Airstream! My truck & trailers are paid for, so I will never actually be homeless, and when my hillbilly neighbors start shooting from the rooftops, I can pack up the animals & RUN.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
An '07 anything is going to take a depreciation hit. Then you add the economy on top of it, and I cannot imagine that you would be happy with what you can get for it. IMO I would say not a good time to sell.

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Dealers are offering deep discounts on new leftover units that have Ben sitting on their lots. This is going to drive the price of your unit down. Buyers are going to find it very difficult to get a loan to purchase a used unit as well. This is not a good time to be selling.

I agree, the newer units may be more difficult to sell due to competing with the dealers discounted price. A vintage unit should sell, they are always (well most of the time) in demand. There are alot of people who are not effected by the current economic situation and have money to spend, I'm not one or them. You could always put it up for sale and say no if you don't get your price. Good Luck!!
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
It depends on what you want out of it. If you want it GONE, anything/everything will sell if the price is right. Someone will purchase it that has been looking and looking and once your price discounts to what he/she sees as a deal, it will be gone. If you see no immediate need for the space in your driveway or if you have no problem continuing to store it for the winter, I would continue with the ownership. A weekend away, on an Airstream, is worth so much....and having the ability to do that whenever you wanted to or found the time to....would be a luxury beyond the discounted dollars you would get for it.....IMHO. Only you know how you feel about it and how important it is/might be to unload it. Good luck with your decision. I agree that it will sell for less now than it would have under previous circumstances but what does that mean for tomorrow??? Market lows are followed by market highs...decide what is best for you and act accordingly.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:29 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I would say that now is not the time to be selling a 2 year old Airstream, or anything else for that matter. There are a bunch of people out there who are desperate to sell, including the dealers. I'm afraid that your price would have to be at the giveaway level to move it. You might consider putting it in the Forums Classifieds. Name your price and see if you get any bites.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
What a terrible situation! I hate to see this happen, so if you will agree to cover my cost in diesel I will come and get it out of your driveway .

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Interesting, I do not anticipate towing my Airstream, but have it parked at Land Yacht Harbor in Melbourne Florida - My permanent home is in Ohio but I spend 5 months in the Airstream - a real inexpensive second home.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:01 PM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I too have been kicking around that same question from time to time. My thought is that if you were going to sell it, when it warms up would be far better than now and consider that with the econ as it is, folks may opt for a pre-owned vs. new, due to price.

Though no one can answer the question for you, the real question is will you use it to make it worthwhile. Upkeep, license, insurance all add up for a unit that is used only a few times per year.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You may want to watch E bay for a while to see what the market is.
This is your current competition.
eBay Motors: 2007 AIRSTREAM 27'FB SAFARI LS TRAVEL TRAILER QUEEN BED (item 350169150007 end time Mar-02-09 15:12:53 PST)

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid View Post
My truck & trailers are paid for, so I will never actually be homeless, and when my hillbilly neighbors start shooting from the rooftops, I can pack up the animals & RUN.
Only problem is, when you have 3 trailers, which one do you take?

I get the feeling that there is a group of buyers out there who are waiting to see if the declining economy shakes loose a bunch of late-model trailers that are sitting in driveways, unused. Some owners may feel that it's better to have the cash in the bank (or to pay the bills) than parked in shiny metal. And others will probably get their trailers repoed.

In other words, those who can buy right now are probably looking for a deal. (And I'm looking for Bambi 16' CCDs to hit $15k and not be Craigslist scams....)

I would wait for spring, put the trailer up for sale, and see what happens. You'll never know unless you ask, and you're not out much for trying.
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:44 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Cape Coral , Florida
Not sure what your situation is, but this may be a great time to hold on to your Airstream. I agree with Summerkid -- you'll never be homeless with an Airstream and you can always make a quick get-a-way if you have too. Our freedoms are being eroded every day -- at least the Airstream gives you a little. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:51 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
OH but if it were only a CCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
You may want to watch E bay for a while to see what the market is.
This is your current competition.
eBay Motors: 2007 AIRSTREAM 27'FB SAFARI LS TRAVEL TRAILER QUEEN BED (item 350169150007 end time Mar-02-09 15:12:53 PST)

LS - does that mean it has the mouse fur interior? OH dear - tempted again. Lead a snot into temptation.....

Paula
Old 02-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
LS - does that mean it has the mouse fur interior?
I think so. Never saw a trailer with only a rear panaromic window...
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:53 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
golden , Colorado
I came to the brilliant conclusion back in July that I should finance mine because, heck I should be able to earn more than a 5-6% return on 50K invested in the market .

I did 100% financing, including the hitch and taxes, so like all those poor homeowners out there, I'm underwater-- I owe the bank more than it's worth. I'm counting on some bailout dollars to help me out .

I do think it's ironic that what has created this economic turmoil is Americans spending too much, incurring too much debt, and not saving at the same rate as our parents and grandparents. And, the solution that's going to reduce the pain of a necessary correction is for the federal government to turn around and do the same thing-- continue to spend more than it earns and run up more debt. Once that bubble starts to crack, I assume the IMF will step in, borrow money to support the US, so our bad decisions don't drag down other countries' economies. If that doesn't work, hopefully by then the aliens will have landed and will be willing to bail out the IMF.
1cericks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
Good advice. Think I will wait for warmer weather and see what the market is like. I am fortunate that I don't have to sell it as it is paid for and the other costs are rather minimal. Interesting that my grandchildren now have an interest so perhaps I can find some interesting places in the midwest to introduce them for camping. I listed it last year on the Forum and actually could have sold it but I was not thrilled with the price and decided to keep it. Glad we did as we had a couple of nice trips.
woodedareas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:02 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Anchorage , Alaska
Don't think anyone else has mentioned this yet, but also AS is cutting back on its production. We just got a classic 30 (yes, the dealers were seriously dealing) and have heard that going forward only a few models will still be made. If there is a lot less supply hanging around next year, prices should start heading north again.
dukester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
For me the Airstream offers an intangible sense of security and well-being! Its' presense in the driveway, patiently waiting, plus the dedicated tow vehicle sitting in the garage - is like having a means of "escape" standing by at my beck and call! Even if many of the trips I dream about never happen it's very comforting to know that they could have - with nothing more than a few hours of preparation! If your Airstream doesn't provide that kind of "feeling" I would sell it and move on.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:34 PM   #20
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
If you are sure you want to sell, sell it now (or at least in the spring).

It will never be worth more than it is right now. Even if prices go up next year (doubtful) your trailer will be 3 years old instead of 2. There is no use letting it sit around.

Get rid of it and move on. I have got into bad deals and mistakes myself. And found it is always better to make a clean break and get out. Even if you take a loss. It just does not pay to fart around agonizing and trying to chisel out a couple more bucks.