Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2019, 03:14 PM   #1

Northeast , Florida
Thoughts on 1997 Normal Rockwell for sale?

We've started looking for an AS. Our planned uses would be for trips with hubby and for guest housing when we have extended family in town. We're leaning toward something on the longer end -- 27' or so, and we tend to like the rear bedroom twin layout, based on the few we've seen.

While we were doing some beginning research, we visited a dealer this weekend who told us that there will be a 1997 Norman Rockwell 34' on a local lot in the near future. The person cleaning it sent a few photos, and it looks like it's in good cosmetic shape, but we won't be able to do a full inspection until it's on the lot.

They appear to be asking high 20s for it. I've read the wonderful article that outlines pricing ranges for older trailers based on condition, etc., but it only covers up to the 1970s. Is there a good resource for pricing post-1970s models?

Also, would anyone be willing to suggest for what to look out for with this model? I have read the threads on this forum about the Norman Rockwells, I've downloaded an inspection checklist, and I plan to see if I can find a volunteer inspector if we decide to consider it seriously, but I'd love to have some general hints of things to watch for in an initial "look."

Thanks in advance for any advice for this newby.
Sunshine91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 04:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Welcome!
I see this was your first post.

I've spent at least $7,000 maintaining my 20 year old 1999 Excella in the last 4-5 years.

Some things to consider, IMO:
1. age of the upholstery, mattress, kitchen appliance, furnace, heat pump, electric converter, water pump, tv signal amplifier, radio/tape player, TV, exhaust fans (probably are at the end of their life if original)
2. age of axles, brakes, bearings (if they are original they are near the end)
3. tires and batteries (check for date of manufacture)
4. the maintenance that has been done regarding leaks (check with a moisture meter and probe through carpet looking for wet/soft floors EVERYWHERE, especially beneath windows, doors, and hatches (if it is covered with a new floor be suspicious and be extra careful) Expect to caulk all exterior joints every couple years.
5. The toilet if original is at the end.
6. The waste tank valves ....
7. The plastic lights and lenses interior and exterior are brittle with age....
8. The awnings - cloth condition and check roller springs while opening/closing (listen for grinding) …..
9. The awning keys (the flexible cloth hinge between the metal cover and the trailer body)
10. Exterior finishes (clear coat, vinyl stripes, rub rails, bumper cover. all plastic parts)
11. plumbing valves/faucets
12. the rear storage drawer beneath the rear bumper came with a glued in plastic mat which is prone to rust beneath the mat, check to see its condition.
13. the box at the water connection is prone to rusting away

This is not a complete list, just what comes to mind at the moment
Old 12-16-2019, 06:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
You can add all the window, door and compartment gaskets, as well as the window rock guard gaskets to the list. A/C unit, if original, is probably due for replacement, as well as the cover. Skylites are another "time to replace" if original, as well as vent covers. A W Warn has given you a good list, but there are many more things that "may" need to be replaced. Propane regulator and lines come to mind as well. Just thinking of all the items that I have replaced on my '94 since purchase 5 years ago. Don't be afraid of the unit, but check it over well with a knowledgeable Airstream person ( you can find one on the right side of the Forums under "Airstream inspectors"). Plan to spend some $$$ after purchase. If you are handy, you can save a lot of money doing repairs yourself. Don't be aftraid to ask on the forum for help. Most of us "have been there, and done that"!! Good luck!! Chris
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1976 31' Gone but fondly remembered
1976 22' Argosy
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:12 PM   #4

Northeast , Florida
Thanks!!!

Alan,

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. We're soaking up as much information as we can, and your reply was a huge help!
Old 12-16-2019, 06:13 PM   #5

Northeast , Florida
Thank you, CB!
Old 12-17-2019, 09:53 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , CA