Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2014, 05:00 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Cream Ridge , New Jersey
We have a 2013, 20' FC. We did not want a large trailer. For a trailer this size the bathroom space is more than adequate. The tank capacities are ok. The kitchen size and counter space are just fine. The bed is small so we use the dinette. In a trailer this size you can expect to use the bed for lounge space. With a few extra cushions you can lean against the outer wall to face the TV better and be more comfortable. All in all it is relatively comfortable for the two of us.
Joe Palmieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:09 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fayetteville , Arizona
Thoughts about Airstream 20'

Sorry wrong post
Old 02-13-2014, 12:16 PM   #23

Hawthorne , California
Hi Joe,
Just joined up a couple days ago. I've been looking for 20-23ft, but both my wife and I are 6ft. We are planing a retirement 2 mo trip this coming Sept-Oct. hitting some National Parks and some friends and relatives, so it won't be a full timer. I have a 2002 chev Tahoe w/ tow pkg.
Through your experience, does this seem workable.

Thanks
FlashB
FlashB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:35 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Answer to FlashB

I just went through this within the last 2 months, and I did it backasswards. So let me tell you what I should have done.

1. FIGURE OUT WHAT YOUR REAL TOWING CAPACITY IS. DO THIS FIRST. If you start with the trailer first, then you're going to fall in love with something and either commit yourself to something that will require a new tow vehicle, or worse: decide that you can safely tow at 100% capacity. You need to figure actual tow capacity, which is GCVWR, which includes trailer weight and Truck weight. Then you need to add some amount for "stuff". I used a figure of around 1700 lbs, but depending on whether you go with a lot of stuff, or a little, you may need more or less.
Note: GCVWR may not be in your owner's manual. You may have to call the manufacturer, but they should be glad to tell you. And by the way, you need to check your "towing package" components to make sure you have them all. (I know you don't own a Tacoma, but there's a very good discussion over at the Tacoma owners site about towing--very informative and very helpful. If I can find it, I'll post the link.)
2. Decide what your weight limit is. I figured that I didn't want to go above 85% of my GCVWR ... but everyone disagrees on this, and this is like arguing whether if Batman fought Superman, who would win. You have to decide on your own what your risk level is. (Batman wins, because Robin will get some licks in while Superman isn't looking.)
3. Pull the specs off the Airstream site. Pick out several trailers that look good to you. (These several trailers are going to have to go in your calculation in paragraph 1, above.)
4. Go to an RV show. LIVE in the RV. Lay down on the bunks. Pretend to go to the bathroom. Pretend to cook while your significant other and dogs are playing tag around your feet. The salesmen won't like it, but screw'em. You're about to drop $50,000 plus. They can deal with you and your wife (taking your shoes off and) laying on the bed. Think about how these things get parked in state and national parks, and whether you want to look up from your bed at a road, or at scenery; whether you can sit in the dinette while someone cooks; if there's room to play your accordion while someone else is playing solitaire....
5. Make sure to add some amount for parking it, if you're not going to be able to store it on your property, or aren't selling your house and heading off.
6. Check more than one dealer on prices. These seem to be discounted by 10% to 15% pretty easily. But to get to a serious discount, you're going to have to shop.
7. Check used only after you've spent time in the new ones, and several of them. You're going to find once you pretend to live in one that there are some things that are less important than you thought, and some things are more important. I understand that I'm in for the same lesson, but I'll have to apply it when I upgrade to another trailer, because I've already married one of these things. If you have questions ...
8. Ask questions, here, lots of questions. I've asked a lot of silly questions and not been snarked once.

There are a couple of dealers that I dealt with that I thought were really good and really fair. If you contact me privately, I'll share the names. Though they are not on the W. Coast--and you have a wealth of Airstream dealers there.
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:38 AM   #25

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Virginia
We have a 2014 20 foot Flying Cloud and realized the the bed just is not big enough for my wife and I; I am 6'2" and the curve design makes it very difficult to be comfortable. Any ideas, other than of course trading it in for a larger model? Thank you...
terryleelowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:46 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryleelowe View Post
We have a 2014 20 foot Flying Cloud and realized the the bed just is not big enough for my wife and I; I am 6'2" and the curve design makes it very difficult to be comfortable. Any ideas, other than of course trading it in for a larger model? Thank you...
We had a 2007 20'. I'm a couple inches shorter than you and can't say I was uncomfortable once in the bed, but I sleep on the outside where the curve did not interfere. We also use sleep wedges to raise our upper body, and that allowed the pillow to sit partially on the compartment lid making for a longer bed. Maybe you could add a thick mattress topper to utilize the compartment lids effectively lengthening the bed.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:44 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryleelowe View Post
You could probably remove the hamper at the foot of the bed and replace the mattress with one that fills in that space. I am guessing that would add up to 8" to the length of the bed.
teagues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:15 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Cream Ridge , New Jersey
We have a 2013, 20' FC. I sleep on the front bed and we fold the dinette down into a bed for my wife. We both sleep comfortably that way. A minor PITA, yes but we did not want a larger trailer. All the other amenities work for us.
Joe Palmieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:43 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
We have a 2012 19 foot flying cloud and my wife and I both think it's fine for us ,but if you have guest you have to sit at the dinette or one person on the end of the bed ,but we go camping and spend a lot outside we're not full timing just weekends and a week or two at a time ,were both small people and my only concern is getting out of the shower and drying yourself in the very small area in front of the shower I have learned to dry myself in the shower stall then step out and try and get dressed in that small area, but again we are camping ,we are use to tent camping ( on our motorcycle) so having any trailer size is a plus, we talked about two other trailer sizes the 23 d and the 16 foot sport , I have our trailer up for sale now so if it sells we're going to try first the 16 foot trailer then next year the 23 d foot trailer, the 23 foot trailer versus the 25 to me the problem is it's too wide to get passed my gate entrance and it has to have more wind resistance due to front surface area( will be harder on fuel ) here in canada we pay aprox $1.65 more for a us gallon so it adds up , also I will have to change my mirrors on my truck, as for the 16 footer we had a 16 footer of a different brand years ago and it worked ok for us at the moment I'm retired but my wife is not so trailer sizes can change when she retires. As our 19 foot flying cloud we really like the view out the front panoramic windows while eating ,playing cards ,having guest over, etc , for us having a panoramic view in the sleeping area was not important (as our eyes are closed when we sleep)
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote