Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2015, 08:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tallahassee , Florida
This Overlander price seems too good to be true!

vdr 1968 Airstream Overlander International Just Beautiful*~* | 1968 Airstream Motorhome in Kennesaw GA | 3910528072 | Used Motorhomes & RVs on Oodle Marketplace

"I have made a few upgrades for comfort, but the trailer is original down to the plasticoat which is not peeling. All appliances and systems are original and 100% functional."

This almost seems too good to be true. Everything intact and working, plus awnings and a nice interior? For $4,000?

If it is true I'm super bummed it's a Twin '68 and not a Double '68. I don't know why but I really prefer when the stovetop/sink are on the curbside. Am I alone on that?

I sent an ask to see if she had any info on the frame and subfloor. There's got to be something seriously wrong with this thing! Is it bent axels? Or a broken frame? or because it can't be towed? It just seems so cheap!
Old 05-14-2015, 08:09 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tallahassee , Florida
Found an older listing with more info -

"This is a vintage survivor with real wood cabinets veneered in real walnut, not pressboard with vinyl like the airstreams built in the 70s, 80s and90s. This unit was built when Wally was still living. I have made a few upgrades for comfort, but the trailer is original down to the plasticoat which is not peeling. All appliances and systems are original and 100% functional, even the 8 track tape player ( tapes included). Everything works a/c, furnace, water heater, refrigerator, electrical, plumbing, lights, brakes, bearings, axles etc. It is nearly museum quality. Things that I have added are; 2 digital flat screen TVs (no cabinet alterations), TV antenna on the original mast, tv switch box so a DVD can be used, WilsonArt walnut flooring, glass tile bathroom floor, shades, 400 watt inverter..."

I'm amazed they haven't sold it yet. I have no idea what the price was on the first listing, maybe it was more and they're desperate? I guess we'll see...
Old 05-14-2015, 09:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Questions....

One right off the bat.... a '68 trailer is several years after Wally Byam died! The WilsonArt flooring may cover up a rotten sub floor. The axles are in need of being replaced. Check the InlandRV.com website for ways to check if your axles need to be replaced. The wheels are sitting too low in the wheel wells and that is a sign the axles have taken a set and no longer function correctly. That being said....4,000.00 is still a good price for this trailer if there is no rear end separation! Get a trailer inspector in the area to help you determine if the trailer has any other issues. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Agree with Ed. But it still may be legit and for the price may be THE ONE. Having a full set of awnings is a big plus. Mine had 3 on it and I consider myself lucky to have them as they are very expensive to replace. Take a ride to see it if you are interested and I wouldn't wast much time at that price. But do your due diligence and inspect it carefully before you plunk down a deposit.

BTW, how did that other trailer you looked at work out?

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:21 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Miami , Florida
I saw the same kind of deal on Oodle. Pay by Google wallet, delivered free, money-back guarantee, etc. "Unfortunately, the trailer is in storage in Las Vegas so you can't [check it out ahead of time]." The BBB says this is a common scam that's been around for a couple of years. The scammers send something that looks like an real invoice, take your money, and hit the road.

Still, there are always deals. Until you hand over your cash, you haven't lost anything.
willmck42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:41 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquinob View Post
Agree with Ed. But it still may be legit and for the price may be THE ONE. Having a full set of awnings is a big plus. Mine had 3 on it and I consider myself lucky to have them as they are very expensive to replace. Take a ride to see it if you are interested and I wouldn't wast much time at that price. But do your due diligence and inspect it carefully before you plunk down a deposit.

BTW, how did that other trailer you looked at work out?
Exactly. They did email respond, but they asked me to email them directly, and right above that there is a big warning from Oodle Marketplace to NOT do that. So I'm asking questions that will make it obvious if they are a scammer or not, haha. The fact that it has had to be listed multiple times in the last few months at such a good price tells me something's fishy about it.

And the other trailer was decent shape, but there was more broken than not and it would have been quite a project horse. And at his price (he wouldn't come down on it to anywhere near my budget), it probably wouldn't have been worth it. I had a sneaky feeling that I could make all the offers I want, and he wasn't going to take them. So it was a very SAFE first inspection because I couldn't be tempted to pay the asking price because I literally didn't have the money.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:42 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tallahassee , Florida
From the email:

"The RV is still for sale and is in perfect condition as can see from the
pictures. No scratches or any damages also never been involved into an
accident, non-smoker motor home, clear title. The price is $4,000 including
shipping.
E-mail me if you are interested to buy at @@tonya39gluck@gmail.com@@
Where are you located?"
Old 05-15-2015, 02:46 PM   #8
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
including shipping, total scam.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:09 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Stanwood , Washington
When something sounds too good to be true, it likely is!
dfschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:10 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Vermilion , Ohio
Yes a scam
Miko38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:14 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tallahassee , Florida
That's what I figured. Thanks!
Old 05-15-2015, 03:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Unless you can go in person and see it, dont waste your time.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:53 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1994 25' Excella
Boerne , Texas
Scam

vdr 1968 Airstream Overlander International Just Beautiful*~* | 1968 Airstream Motorhome in Kennesaw GA | 3910528072 | Used Motorhomes & RVs on Oodle Marketplace

"I have made a few upgrades for comfort, but the trailer is original down to the plasticoat which is not peeling. All appliances and systems are original and 100% functional."

This almost seems too good to be true. Everything intact and working, plus awnings and a nice interior? For $4,000?

If it is true I'm super bummed it's a Twin '68 and not a Double '68. I don't know why but I really prefer when the stovetop/sink are on the curbside. Am I alone on that?

I sent an ask to see if she had any info on the frame and subfloor. There's got to be something seriously wrong with this thing! Is it bent axels? Or a broken frame? or because it can't be towed? It just seems so cheap![/QUOTE]
bobglasheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:55 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1994 25' Excella
Boerne , Texas
Its a scam, you will never be able to get them on the phone. All text or e-mail.
They will have some story like they work on a cruise ship or are deployed in middle east. RUN
bobglasheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:07 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Heath , Texas
Also, the trailers and ads are usually real, but from the past. They just steal the pictures and text from a past ad on the Internet and reuse them. Happens on Craig's too.
sailormom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Hey, as long as it's roadworthy, it's a great deal. With something like this, I wouldn't be waiting around too long for them to come up with technical details.

If you get it, be sure to roll it past your neighbor down in Boynton Beach!
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:43 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
I disagree. Ask seller for exact location of trailer. Then share that a uniformed police officer will show up to verify the vin and run the national check for stolen property. I did this from NE for my MI purchase. MI police did it and certified it for $15.00. See if Nevada police provide this service. Ask for copy of title. Tell seller to mark on title not-negotiable. If it is scam the bull sh.t will flow and you'll have a great belly laugh. Tell the seller a repo company will take possession out of storage (they are bonded) and they will send you the funds. You may get enough actionable info to get law enforcement interested. Please share all the reasons why the seller can't or won't do it. I suspect you will never hear from him or perhaps a reply "SORRY I SOLD IT"
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:48 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Maybe someone here on the forum my live close by and would go look at it for you.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:10 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
I'm well versed in internet scams from learning the hard way and I'm just echoing what everyone else has said: RUN AWAY. In fact DO NOT CALL OR EMAIL THEM AGAIN. Though you wouldn't think it possible if you're not careful you'll be sued for $4000. It's amazing what these scammers are getting away with these days. It's like the criminal who broke into someone's house and fell and injured himself who proceeded to SUE the homeowner for negligence AND won!!

I live by this mantra in internet/eBay/auctions or anything unknown. If it looks to good to be true IT IS!!
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Go See It!

Starstruck08, Take a road trip to go see it! What can it hurt? I don't know how many junk TT's I looked at before I bought my '67 Airstream. I also bought a '64 Holiday Rambler later that was a 26 foot trailer and it was soooo heavy my 1/2 Ton PU could barely pull it. I decided while I was up in Michigan that it wasn't worth trying to haul it from SW Michigan to the far western side of Illinois. So we scrapped it in Michigan and removed all the good interior items before going to the scrap yard. I did get more for it than I paid out for it so that was a plus. It rarely happens that way so I considered myself lucky! I don't understand the reason for any comments about a scam here. But, You have to take a chance on wasting gas and just go see it! You may find it is the ONE! Enjoy the road trip and the inspection. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote