Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2017, 04:32 PM   #1

Houston , Texas
Thinking of buying

Hey all, I am new to this forum and basically airstreams as well. I've always been enamored with them but never truly considered them due to the cost.

At present time, we are entertaining the idea of actually living full time in one as short term bridge between building a full time home on our 12 acres. We have thought of building a house but we don't really have the time to go through that process yet, and I would rather do as much of that myself when we are actually living there. We thought of park models, but I'm just leary of those for several reasons. We thought of buying a shed and building it out, etc... We are now feeling like what may make the best sense is the aforementioned airstream idea.. I like that it can provide all our needs and I believe would hold value better than some of the other ideas. I'm thinking we could build a deck around it and make it quite enjoyable.

Anyway, all of that to try and get around to asking one of what will likely be many more questions. Is it poor form to ask for forum users advice on a airstream value I am considering that is posted on the classifieds? I've spoken to the seller who seems like a wonderful guy. Just feeling a bit overwhelmed with the idea of driving cross country to check it out and possibly bring it back with me.

Although new to airstreams I am not entirely new to Rvs. My wife and I currently have a 2014 forest river microlite that currently sits at our property. I do like it, but we need more room. We think by adding an airstream we will enough room to get by for a year or two. I like the idea of building a deck around it for additional relaxing space.

Sorry for the long read and thanks for any advice. I am looking over the buyers guide to find out more what to look for.
Csoftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
An Airstream will be paying for something you don't need. Airstreams are designed and built for over the road use not stationary use. You will soon realize the lack of storage space for your "Stuff"

I would suggest you buy a used SOB, some other brand, for the build period and then buy an Airstream after the house is finished if travel is a consideration.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:17 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Welcome !!!!

Airstreams like most RV's are not really designed for wide swings in climate. They are a "go north in summer" and "go south in winter" proposition. That works for many, it does not work for everybody.

Like anything else, condition matters a lot when it comes to price. You soon will see a lot of trailers (of all sorts) for sale in Texas and Florida. The first question on most of them should be "how far under water did it go?". Sorting that out will be fun ...

New price on a larger trailer will come in around $70K to $120K. At ten years you you *might* get down to half those numbers, you probably will be hard pressed to find a used one in perfect condition at that price.

Lots of fun !!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We've owned Airstreams and a park model home, and have built two houses. The park model is far superior to the Airstream for stationary, year around use. Put a deck on the living/dining side, cover it and a parking spot for your car. It will work well while you build, and may be a guest house when you're done.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:56 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
No - build a garage with an upstairs apartment. Should be able to complete in short time. That gives you a work shop and a place to live. Better insulation and you are closer to your final objective. Build house as you have time and connect to garage or not as the design meets your needs.

Someone who is building a house will use all the time available to get er done.

Time for RV life later as your life smooths out. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:06 AM   #6

Houston , Texas
Thanks all, great points and advice.
Csoftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:47 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Well, if we are doing construction:

Do a home with *two* garages. One for normal use and one big enough to park an AS in. You *will* revisit this decision ...

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Or better, like we did with one house, was to build a drive-through garage bay, with a tall door on the street side and a normal door into a huge paved area in the back yard. You could drive the rig straight into the garage with both doors open, uncouple the trailer in the garage, then drive the TV out on the outside of the garage back into the street. It would have been better with a much wider streetside door, but it worked well with out full size long wheelbase GMC van tow vehicle. Yes, it took about a 15-point turn to get the van back out, but it could be done.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote