Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2020, 11:51 AM   #21
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I bought my current Airstream with cash. I had to visit several banks in y area to get enough. Depositing large sums of cash can be a problem...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:07 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeGe View Post
I have listed our Airstream on Airstream Forums in the classifieds area. I received a notification today that someone was interested. He said he would pay using PayPal and needed my email address and Name attached to my PayPal account. Plus my zip code to calculate the shipping cost. This was a full price offer first day. Just felt too good to be true. I told him that I preferred to request the money thru PayPal and needed his email address. He would not give it to me even though he did provide his phone number. Am I paranoid or was this guy up to no good. Need your opinions. Thanks
Your Gut feeling was spot on. Predator alert
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2020 GMC Denali 1500 Duramax 3.0l Diesel, ProPride3 WDH.
previous tow vehicles 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement, 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4L
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 01:00 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
I had one, he said he was in Germany, and would need my help shipping it there, and another one “selling” and because he was in the military and shipping out, he could have it shipped to me for free! I said I would pay cash when I picked it up, never heard back.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 01:23 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
chino hills , California
If he’s legit. And you have interested parties phone number I would first contact PayPal and have them assist in the transaction . They have an excellent fraud division. They will be able to read all the flags should there be any hinting at fraud. They will be able to give you clear direction on how you should proceed with sale. PayPal have a vested interest in the sale working out for both parties. Please let us know how it works out for you.
See you down the road neighbor.
redhat200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:33 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Ebay Buying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurai View Post
We too are selling and I got those instant replies wanting info from me. It was then I deleted their texts

Later I received a call from a guy claiming he could help me list our unit on eBay. He’s in Nebraska. A friend said she knows someone who bought a car on eBay so I know it can be done but I’ve not checked into it yet.

Any thoughts, insight?
Laurai,
On a large purchase like this, use Ebay as just another ad to look at. I would request more pictures by text and a follow up Facetime walk through. Then drive to make the purchase.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:20 AM   #26
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
When we sold our '74, I sold for cash in person. The buyer met me, we drove to my bank, they got a cash withdrawal from their bank using their bank-issued debit card, and I deposited the cash before we left. Most banks also have someone that is a notary, so you can fill out the title and paperwork before they leave, and notarize everything. Yes, it was a couple of extra steps at the bank, and took another 20 minutes or so, but everything was securely taken care of on the spot, and we all went our separate ways afterward.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:21 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Airstream for Sale and Dating Sites- no difference

Selling an Airstream is no different than Social Media and Dating Sites.

- You need to 'inspect the goods very carefully'.

- Is the 'date of manufacture' correct?

- Does the weight come close to the suggested weight?

- Is the 'condition' as described?

- Does the 'merchandise' hold up to the description?

- Are there potential 'costs of ownership ahead'?

I can tell you right now, my picture is about what to expect. No more and a lot less.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:32 AM   #28
Undereducated AS Newbie

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
Ebay? Never is too soon..Pat
Precisely.
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:06 AM   #29
Undereducated AS Newbie

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Charlotte , North Carolina
Buying Caveats?

I've been looking for a specific make, model classic convertible for over a year. There are multiple sites to post classic vehicles for sale. In at least 2 cases, people have listed vehicles for sale with beaucoup pictures & extensive descriptions, yet they didn't own them.

The most recent was ~125 miles away, after several conversations with the guy & emails back & forth, I requested a meet & check ride & confirmed I was ready to buy the car.

He had doctors appointments & was going to contact me the next day. Mid-afternoon next day, not having heard from him, I attempted contacting with no luck. Ad stayed up for more than a week, he was never available or responsive. I was able to locate the actual PO based on a city tag & his membership in the LCOC. He had sold the car last year.

Admittedly, I'm slow & naive, but I'm still trying to understand what the guys got out of listing these cars.
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:01 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
I bought my current Airstream with cash. I had to visit several banks in y area to get enough. Depositing large sums of cash can be a problem...
In Canada we have. anti money laundering laws, so large sums of cash is a different problem, don't quote me but I think it 10k so buying a 49k AS would be problematic with Cash Only, but doable just sayin.
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2020 GMC Denali 1500 Duramax 3.0l Diesel, ProPride3 WDH.
previous tow vehicles 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement, 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4L
Old 04-08-2020, 10:08 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy View Post
I've been looking for a specific make, model classic convertible for over a year. There are multiple sites to post classic vehicles for sale. In at least 2 cases, people have listed vehicles for sale with beaucoup pictures & extensive descriptions, yet they didn't own them.

The most recent was ~125 miles away, after several conversations with the guy & emails back & forth, I requested a meet & check ride & confirmed I was ready to buy the car.

He had doctors appointments & was going to contact me the next day. Mid-afternoon next day, not having heard from him, I attempted contacting with no luck. Ad stayed up for more than a week, he was never available or responsive. I was able to locate the actual PO based on a city tag & his membership in the LCOC. He had sold the car last year.

Admittedly, I'm slow & naive, but I'm still trying to understand what the guys got out of listing these cars.
I too wonder why the fraudulent listing of "x" when they clearly cut and pasted from an old ad.

I can only guess they get someone less savy that sends them a $500 deposit and is never to be seen again.

And do this 10 times before moving on