Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Grants Pass , Oregon
Ready to buy first Airstream!

We made our first trek to the Airstream RV lot and are looking at new 2010 models, 23' and 25'. What is a reasonable percentage off MSRP we can expect? We do not enjoy the sales negotiation process (in fact I can't stand it!) I'd like to state a price that I know should be reasonable.

I read on prior forums 19%? Does this still seem appropriate?

Thank you!
kausland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
POMPANO BEACH , FL
From last year, it seemed that the dealers got the next year's models around August. When the new year comes in, I think the dealers are ready to give a little more on the previous year's models. There isn't a huge amount of inventory, so they don't discount heavily. I found it to be around 10% when I was looking. If you were looking at one sitting on the lot for a year, you could get 15-18% discount.

My experience when I was looking for a new unit was every time I settled on one, it got bought out from under me. So if there is a particular style/model you have settled on, figure out who has it, and you may need to move quickly.

Good luck!
Tropicgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:47 PM   #3
_

. , .
IF u aren't good with shopping/negotiations...

u r likely 2 pay too much...

many issues to consider, most covered in these threads and links...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f349...-se-20214.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...ice-61080.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f349...unt-43931.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f349...eam-21857.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...srp-51479.html

there are others but the points remain the same...

and consider ALL the extras that may get tacked on...

delivery, prep, hitch install and so on...

how much DOWN, financing, interest rates and so on also impact the COST of buying...

there are LOTS of thread on the shopping, size, dealer, price, options, features issues, that most new buyers face.

get some eyedrops n read.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Discount is small piece of the pie.

Hi, dealers are here to make money and they usually won't let them go for their cost. Make you best deal, but remember the dealer will make up for discounts on accessories, financing, insurances, after market warranties, dealer prep fees, dealer delivery fees, dealer introduction fees, Hitches, brake controllers, and installation fees. Etc. [in other words, they got all of their discount money back and then some]

I personally got a fair discount, free brake controller, free hitch, free belt moulding, and no sales tax. And none of the bogus charges that some dealers make money on. Everyone's deal is different. A percentage off of list is only one piece of the pie. Do your home work. Don't forget, in many cases, the dealer who sold you the unit might be the one who services the unit.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:18 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Whatever you do, get it all in writing!!!! We bought a 2009 this year. It was new and still had a 2 year warranty. They were very motivated to move this so they could replace it with 2010 model. We told them what we wanted to spend, including hitch, brake controller, 2nd TV, etc. They came within $1000.00 of our price! So, ask if any dealers have left over inventory and if it would fit your needs. We wanted a 25' but ended up with a 27' and really like it. Stick to your guns and get it alllllll in writing!
AndiJean
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:52 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
If you absolutely hate the process of negotiating on price, there are (some) other options and tactics (my opinions only)...

1. You could bring along a competent negotiator you trust to work with you on the haggling. They could save you huge $$.
2. Remember - you DON'T have to sign any papers that day! Don't be pressured into buying the trailer you don't really want, with options you don't need, for a price you don't like!
3. As a last resort, if you feel you are not getting the price you think you should, let the salesperson know there are other AS dealers who may also be really, really interested in your business, but that you would prefer to buy locally.
4. DON'T appear over-anxious to buy! If you have your checkbook in your hand when you walk in the door - you are doomed! If the salesperson is within earshot and they keep hearing you or your spouse saying "I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT, I WANT IT!" you will also likely pay too much. Better to keep on a poker face.
5. Be prepared to walk out the door without buying. Often a grimace on the face coupled with an "I'm not comfortable with your price, I want to check around a bit more" and a move toward the door will bring the salesperson back with a lower price.
6. Do what you are doing already - researching prices and getting experiences of others. If you are knowledgeable when you walk in the door, you are much less likely to be taken advantage of. I heard once that "you should never ask a salesperson a question that you don't already have the answer to".
7. Phone around the country. Tell many AS dealers that you are seriously looking to buy in the next 30 days and would drive 1000 miles for the right priced trailer. Compare apples to apples and see what quotes are given back to you.
8. Remember that the negotiating is a "business" transaction for you as well. Don't let your emotions play a role in negotiating price or features. A good salesperson will try to bring emotions into play... "Your grandkids will LOVE it", "Think of the FUN you will have", "You will be so PROUD of it", "Your neighbors will be ENVIOUS"... or negative ones - "It's our last one at that price and OTHER PEOPLE are thinking about it right now"...you get my point.
9... Enjoy the process of buying if you can and only sign the deposit check & papers when it feels right. If your gut is telling you "NO", listen to it.

I'm sure there will be many other great suggestions too. Good luck!

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:38 AM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

We bought our 2005 Safari 25FB, named Lucy, new in 2006. After our extensive research, we decided that we wanted a 25FB. When the FB's were first introduced in 2005, it was a new floor plan and was not at all popular with buyers. In early 2006, just about every Airstream dealer had one of more FB's in stock left over from the prior model year. We found out which dealers had one from the company website.

I called each of these dealers east of the Mississippi. I told them that I was going to buy a 25FB for cash, and to give me their best price for the trailer ,out the door, excluding tax, title, etc. Most of the FB's in stock were LS's with the Audio/Video Upgrade.

Eight dealers responded with a price. They ranged from 8% to 23% below MSRP. The best price was at Colonial in New Jersey, but Sanders in north Florida was only $120 over the New Jersey price. Being that Sanders was only 300 miles from home, we bought Lucy from them.

When we traveled to Alachua and inspected Lucy, we small ding midway on her center street side panel. The dealer offered to replace the whole panel, discount the trailer an additional $2,000, or through in a Hensley Arrow hitch system. We selected door number three, and never looked back. Lucy still has the dent and we call it the "Hensley dent".

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:49 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
if you are a strong buyer then you are in a position to negotiate.if you are hooked on a certain payment per month you will end up with less trailer for your money.best approach is to agree on a price for the trailer first,then fiqure out how to close on it with cash ,credit etc.most customers are payment buyers and end up at the mercy of the dealer.buying is just a big shell game that i handle on my own,after the wife agrees on the unit that she wants.the wife doesnt like the wheeling and dealing to get the right deal,so i leave her home when we are ready to negotiate.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:43 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
ask first pay later!

ASK FIRST--ASK AGAIN--make sure you are discussing bottom line price "out the door" with no extra charges, ASK again, if they won't budge at all--ASK FOR A several FREEBIES that you want with the trailer--THEN PAY. it always good if you have more than one seller to compare too. all apples are not the same. you can't get a good deal unless you ask! remember that the dealer is not going to lose money on any deal. you never have to feel bad about asking. you are approaching it correctly--you want to be in the ballpark but "ask and you may just well receive!". And if someone's rude to you for supposedly "offending his price"--there are a lot of people who will sell you a trailer. walk away from rude sellers no matter what product you're looking for--it just isn't worth the hassle! Business should be rewarded for good service, good prices, and people who have integrety! good luck.
the544man is offline   Reply With Quote