Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2007, 07:59 PM   #1
Who-Dey fan

1960 26' Overlander
Hamilton , Ohio
Question Pricing on 1960 Vintage Airstrem

I have a 1960 vintage airsteam. It is the International Overlander series Land Yacht. It is good shape and it is all original. It is 26' long with dual axles. It has 2 sets of bunk beds and 1 fold out queen bed in the front. I was just wanting to know what I may be able to get out of it? If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.
JTBengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello JTBengal -- Welcome to the Forums!

It isn't easy to give you an exact number. Look at Price vs. Condition - Airstream Values and you can see it's all over the map. Most semi-ignored Airstreams probably fall into the 'As found' category; this would be the case when the status of furnace, air conditioner & refrigerator are not known. 'Average' would mean that it has seen regular use but may have some wear. 'Restored' means looking pretty and more -- it means some effort has gone into making sure the floors are still solid, appliances are functional, and leaks are in control -- polishing up a tired trailer does not mean 'restored.'

Some variables: There is more demand for shorter lengths. But a lot will go according to how complete your Overlander might be. Any dents in the end caps? What's the body condition? Windows? Interior? Do you know the history -- how was it stored?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:38 PM   #3
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
How much can I get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTBengal
I have a 1960 vintage airsteam. It is the International Overlander series Land Yacht. It is good shape and it is all original. It is 26' long with dual axles. It has 2 sets of bunk beds and 1 fold out queen bed in the front. I was just wanting to know what I may be able to get out of it? If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome aboard JTBengal, but these forums are primarily designed to help fellow Airstreamers share experiences and repair/refurbishment information. If you just want to know how much money you can get from yours, feel free to post it in the classifieds here or put it on eBay.
You really can't expect us to assign a value to a vintage Airstream with such meager information and no photos. If you want to keep and enjoy your 1960 Airstream Overlander, I'll be glad to try to answer any questions, since I once owned the same model. By the way, they are not 2 sets of bunk beds, they are 2 twin-size beds unless you have a really rare model.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:48 AM   #4
Who-Dey fan

1960 26' Overlander
Hamilton , Ohio
Smile

Hello Rog0525,
Your reply is much appreciated! When we purchased our Airstream last year our intent was to indeed refurbish it and enjoy it for many years to follow. However, our situation has changed now and my husband will be traveling most of the time for his job.
Perhaps we do have a rare Airstream because it does have 2 bunk beds (4 twin-size-beds).
I will take pictures of the interior today and post in the classified section.
Thanks again,
Jennifer
JTBengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTBengal
Perhaps we do have a rare Airstream because it does have 2 bunk beds (4 twin-size-beds).
I will take pictures of the interior today and post in the classified section.
Thanks again,
Jennifer
Wow - very cool! Sorry your situation has changed and you won't be the ones showing off this unique trailer at the rallies! I have actually seen one other double bunk model...if yours is like the one I saw, those neat little bunk-sized windows on the sides gave it a memorable look! I look forward to checking out the pics - good luck in finding it a new home!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:32 AM   #6
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Jennifer, I’ll also be looking forward to photos of the bunk beds. That is a feature which should raise the value considerably. My ’60 Overlander had center twins and sold for $6,000 about 5 years ago. It should be worth quite a bit more today. The really nice thing about old Airstreams is that, properly maintained, the value goes up every year. I personally think that owning a nice vintage model, even if you’re not using it, is better than money in the bank.
If you’re not in a rush to sell it, you might want to wait until Spring when there’s more demand for campers and you’re more likely to get a better price.
When you list it, you’re going to need lots of photos, the more the better. You can post them in your free gallery here then post a link to the gallery in your ad.
Best of luck to you.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
Jennifer, I’ll also be looking forward to photos of the bunk beds. That is a feature which should raise the value considerably. .
While the bunk beds add to the rarity, I'm not sure that they add significantly to the value.

I agree they are cool and interesting, but unless you need the extra beds, I would rather have the storage space.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
I have actually seen one other double bunk model...if yours is like the one I saw, those neat little bunk-sized windows on the sides gave it a memorable look!
Here's the one I saw...it's cool! Although, I'm not sure if they still have it...been a couple of years!

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 09-29-2007, 08:28 AM   #9
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter

I notice that the ad is now in the Classifieds, with photos of the bunk beds.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Wow, that's a good looking trailer. The advice about keeping it sounds good to me. Some day you may regret letting this one go as much as I regret letting my 1967 Caravel go. Hope it finds a home that will love and use it.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:30 AM   #11
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
That is a very good looking trailer. My '59 Tradewind also has a pair of bunk beds, but their shape is quite different. Mine have rounded bottoms, and are made of light wood (birch I think) that is varnished. Until now I thought they were original but now wonder if they were added by the PO. I have removed all the trailer's interior and plan to use the bunks as storage cabinets, mounted closer to the ceiling, instead of the cabinets that are shown in the picture. When "closed," the bunks will rest up against the ceiling, clamshell style.
Does anyone know whether Airstream also made this rounded style of bunk?
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bunks-underside.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	46181  
Attached Images

Mark Wiltrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 01:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Wow! I like the rounded ones! My guess is they are absolutely original who else would go to the trouble of making them round - except the factory?

I think (don't know - just think) that some options may have been added by dealers - not the factory back in the 50/60's. Either that or "customs" ordered by the dealers. Our '64 has unique doors to the bathroom - I've never seen another just like it - but it looks so well integrated that it has to be original. The trim & wood & finish - etc are the same as everythng else. Our '56 has a unique bunk bed across the back - again, so well integrated it has to be original - but I've not seen another like it either! I suspect, before the mid-60's they were pretty customizable and all the pieces were built to order - not from "jigs" or a kit of parts as much as today.

I like bunks...they are cool. We have no "real" need for ours (kitty bunk?), but are planning on keeping it anyways because of it's uniqueness.

Shari

Old 09-29-2007, 04:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Wow! I like the rounded ones! My guess is they are absolutely original who else would go to the trouble of making them round - except the factory?
Who else? ...Rob and Zoe Baker would... here is a picture from their Blog

https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags