Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2009, 04:57 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Valrico , Florida
I wonder how many people pay more for things over book value....Really, this subject is very important to me. I'm in the market for a travel trailer, maybe 2-5 yrs old and I've never paid more than retail for anything...I'm pretty sure any of you haven't either.
stufarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by stufarmer View Post
I wonder how many people pay more for things over book value....Really, this subject is very important to me. I'm in the market for a travel trailer, maybe 2-5 yrs old and I've never paid more than retail for anything...I'm pretty sure any of you haven't either.
well the wife and I looked for some time before buying new and all I can say is if you are looking for 25 to 28' and 2-5 years old you are looking at the mid to high 20's for 04 to 06 and 30's for 07 and up
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
2008 25' Safari SS SE
Austin , Texas
(1) Alot depends on the motivation of the seller and the urgency of the buyer. To get a good deal, you have to be prepared to walk away if your offer is rejected (and possibly losing the opportunity). I try to bargain, but not to offend the seller.

(2) It is probable that the book value is undervalued. My trailer was recently totalled due to a severe hailstorm in Austin. The book value was under $12K. I had my insurance company get an 'fair market' appraisal, and it came in just over $19K. I asked a salesman about the discrepancy during a recent RV show, and he suggested a theory that trailers are frequently sold to family or friends, and as a result, they are underreported at the tax offices, which is one source for resale values. Unlike cars, there is a very low sales volume to use as comps on AS trailers.
mbutterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:16 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
it's still true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWill View Post
We are starting to look around at both new and used airstreams. Used we are looking for later models, say post-2003 or so. In looking, however, it seems that many pre-owned owners are a tad high in their expectation as regards price. Comparing, for example, the price of a new to a 2008 ["hardly used" as they always seem to be] and the price of a used 2007 to a 2005, well, the price spread does not appear even.

I am curious therefore if any recent sellers/buyers would be willing to talk about the percentage of asking price they eventually paid or had to take. I understand there are many variables; but, eventually, if you want to sell, you have to come down to a market price.

In today's environment, it seems that some sellers need to adjust their expectations. But that's just my observation. Others?

Thanks.
First,, You can't expect the price to drop on the Airstream like other products..That said, this is the formula, that was quoted to me years ago..
The price of an A/S will bottom out at about 12 to 15 yrs..after that..start to climb.
From there..You begin your search..
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
We're a country where price negotiation isn't a regular day-to-day activity. We pay the full price asked on groceries, clothing, shoes, computers, etc. We "shop AROUND" for price going to different vendors. Most other places in the world DO expect bargaining for every one of these basic things... and when it comes to luxuries a two hour session of screaming, crying, gnashing of teeth and rending of garments is normal before both parties leave satisfied with the deal.

In the USA and Canada "vehicles" are our one concession to the bargaining of the open air market. Cars, trucks, motorcycles, trailers, mohos, boats - the "list price" is the fool's price.

In the bargaining business, we're rank amateurs. All I can say is decide what you want to pay for the trailer you want to buy... and what is the most you'll be willing to be pay... then make your opening offer. Let the negotiations begin. Don't act like a jerk - be flexible - have a "walk away" figure in your head and stick to it, or very close to it.

There's a seller of a 30 ft classic here in Va. Beach who has only listed his unit locally, but he priced it go move. I've seen comparable units for $5K more. I'm sure he'll move a lot less on the price than the higher priced units.

So accept that you're going to negotiate, and begin the process.

Paula
Paula,
WELL SAID~!!
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:17 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Yes . . . to all. BUT, are there any SELLERS out there who will own up to how much of a haircut they had to take from the ASKING price.
I think what happens is that [potential] sellers browse the listings to see what others are asking for a comparable unit and then come up w/ their price.
The problem is that there is no indication that "sellers" [perhaps I should use the term "listers"] are getting anywhere near the asking price.

One can accept some variaton from NADA book value, especially if custom modifications are involved, but that does not account for the great disparity.

The same thing, to some degree, happens on e-bay. Ever wonder how many people actually sell their stuff on e-bay? Compared to the number of listings. E-bay makes a fortune off o flisting fees; they don't care if you sell or not. Similar to McDonalds not really caring if you buy a hamburger or not as long as y ou buy a drink/french fries.

Big difference between ASKING for a price and getting a price. But, at the end of hte day, you can't negotiate w/ somebody who doesn't want to [really] sell.
BillWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:46 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53flyingcloud View Post
First,, You can't expect the price to drop on the Airstream like other products..
And...why is that??? It is the buyers...not the sellers that determine how much the price drops. A seller can "list" for whatever they wish...but the question is how many actually sell and at what price.

What would REALLY be a service is a "post listing" section where the adds were moved which indicated IF they were sold and at what price...I think many would be surprised that the actual sale price is well below the listing price...on those that actually SELL.

I am sure many of you are like me...when you see a posting with a price that looks "fair"...you say...this one will move...and a few days/week later the "sold" sign hits.

Tom R
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:18 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Columbus , Ohio
Ebay - Completed Listings

Check out the "Completed Listings" on Ebay. That will show you the original asking price, the bids and the final selling price.

Search for Airstreams then look in the far laft margin for "Completed Listings". Sold prices are shown in green, unsold in red.

I have found this helpful for determining how much I should be willing to spend. Keep in mind the low prices can be hard to duplicate, there are still good deals to be had.

Corky
Cstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:34 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
All of this discussion is due to the fact that someone cannot find the Airstream that they want at there price, there are deals out there but you have to wait and search, I found that the best prices occur in the late fall and winter months. In the spring and summer prices spike. Second option is to find the one you want, offer the price you think you want to spend and see what happens. As far as NADA goes I have yet to find an Airstream that sold at those prices, I wish they did bit they do not. Good luck with your search, I have mine and I would not sell it even at the price I paid as I could not replace it.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
First was a SS that asking was $1500.00 I paid $800.00, next was an AS asking was $800, I paid $600.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:14 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Valrico , Florida
After looking at new units online from the most popular web sites just about every trailer I'm looking at is discounted at least $15,000 off MSRP. So...with that said, negotiations begain there. A few of the used trailers will advertise the trailers list price when new. Now knowing the trailer was purchased with a minimun of $15,000 plus discount off MSRP the sellers seem to be asking more for the trailer than they paid. Sure we all would like to think that resale is higher for some brands...It just seem that every Harley Davidson and Jeep Wrangler I've owned sells for wholesale. Garage kept and dealer serviced means nothing at trade in time. It's all about the Book Value.
stufarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:02 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
What does Jesus think it's worth :-)

I was negotiating a deal on an older car for our niece. The man was very nice and kept bring up how religious he was and how he did this and that for the church...which is FINE...GREAT....but about 25 years ago my husband and I bought a 2002 BMW from a professor at a bible school. He swore nothing was wrong with the struts even though I smelled new paint in the trunk....We bought the car and a week later the back end fell off!

We learned our lesson.....SO BACK TO THE STORY...The nice man wanted $1,200 for the car and that was his bottom dollar....I looked at him and said "But what would Jesus think it's worth?"......He looked at the ground and said....$800 dollars........
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by stufarmer View Post
After looking at new units online from the most popular web sites just about every trailer I'm looking at is discounted at least $15,000 off MSRP. So...with that said, negotiations begain there. A few of the used trailers will advertise the trailers list price when new. Now knowing the trailer was purchased with a minimun of $15,000 plus discount off MSRP the sellers seem to be asking more for the trailer than they paid. Sure we all would like to think that resale is higher for some brands...It just seem that every Harley Davidson and Jeep Wrangler I've owned sells for wholesale. Garage kept and dealer serviced means nothing at trade in time. It's all about the Book Value.
Hi, I bought a brand new 2005 model year trailer [Airstream] and got one fantastic deal. I got a great discount on the trailer, a free hitch, a free brake controller, free belt line moulding, no prep fees, no orientation fees, no sales tax, and no financing. With the exception of the financing part that no-ones adds in the deal, I saved less than $15,000.00 that you seem to think is standard. Most dealers that give hugh discounts, get it all back and more in extras and financing. I looked at NADA to see what they say my trailer is worth now and I would let it rot or give it to a relative before I would sell it for that fictitious price. For the deal some of you are looking for, you need to find a family in their 90's, in bad health, and near foreclosure on their property [really desperate] to get what you think the seller should sell it to you for. GOOD LUCK.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:43 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
I saved less than $15,000.00 that you seem to think is standard. For the deal some of you are looking for, you need to find a family in their 90's, in bad health, and near foreclosure on their property [really desperate] to get what you think the seller should sell it to you for. GOOD LUCK.
Hi Bob...take a look at the Colonial NJ web site. Advertised discounts between 20% and 25%. Some are certainly over $15K.

Problem is owners still think AS trailers sell for "MSRP". Perhaps some do buy at MSRP...but in the used market they are competing with the new units selling for 20-25% discounts. If you follow the classified here...many 2-3 year old untis are priced at or near the discounted price of new 2009 units...not to mention the 2008s (and a few 2007s) still on the market "new".

I do believe that the 2-3 year old used units that sell need to accept the fact that new ASs can be purchased at 20-25% off MSRP...and reduce their used prices as appropriate.

What would you think a 2006 AS with a list of $70K should sell for used today??? My take...$70K x 75% = $52,500...which is max (?) current discount...would be the 2009 alternative purchase price. Certainly a 2006 should sell for SUBSTANTIALLY less than the same 2009 new???

What I find is used units priced at or near what you can buy a new unit for...makes NO sense...but than again that is the "listed" price and IF they really want/need to sell they will eventually reduce the asking price significantly. The challenge is to find "for sale" that are not just the "let's see what we can get" type of adds.

BTW...Harleys actually sold used for more than new a few years ago...demand so far exceded supply that "good" dealers that did not mark up new over MSRP actually had 1-2 year old bikes on their floor with prices higher than the same new bike. That too (like AS new MSRP pricing...no discount) has come to pass...you can now get a good discount on new Harleys.

Just my AM thoughts...Tom R
Old 08-10-2009, 10:03 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
my take on the 3-5 year old units is that most 25-34' units are bought by people who can afford a toy like a new Airstream and maybe after the novelty wears some they decide to sell but they do not seem to be in any hurry. If my situation where to change and I decided to sell I would list it at what I wanted for it, and it either sells at that price or it stays with me and something else would be for sale. As far as new, look around, you can get 20% to 25% off but thats it, dealers seem to be willing to sit on them until they sell. Look at the dealer in western Pennsylvania he still has 06 leftovers at the same price as 08 and 09's. Bottom line is offer your price and see if its taken,if not keep looking. Good luck in your search
Old 08-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob34787 View Post
As far as new, look around, you can get 20% to 25% off but thats it
My point exactly...asking a price for a 2-3 year old unit that is nearly the same as a discounted new unit merely means you are a) uninformed about the new pricing and paid at or near MSRP for your new...and/or b) you don't really care if you sell and are looking for an uninformed buyer.

FWIW Tom R in Two Harbors

P.S. Is seems when there is an interesting used unit close to where I live...the owner falls into the above category..."if I don't get my price I will just keep it".
Old 08-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
yes I do not think you will find a lot of hard up Airstream owners , since it is a large purchase and many have paid cash, therefore no real hurry to sell. I have found a few reasonable units in my search prior to buying new, but you have to be willing to travel just to look at it and unless you travel with lots of cash in your pocket and your hitch already set up to tow its just a pain. I have found 25' to 28' 04 and 05 Safari and ccd going for the low 30,000 range, but after reading the forums for awhile i thought the extra 15,000 for new was a bargain. I do not have the ability or ambition at this point in my life to fix someone's problem child. On another note they must sell to someone as it is rare to find one that has been traded in and if you do the dealer is asking well over NADA for it.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:14 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR View Post
My point exactly...asking a price for a 2-3 year old unit that is nearly the same as a discounted new unit merely means you are a) uninformed about the new pricing and paid at or near MSRP for your new...and/or b) you don't really care if you sell and are looking for an uninformed buyer.

FWIW Tom R in Two Harbors

P.S. Is seems when there is an interesting used unit close to where I live...the owner falls into the above category..."if I don't get my price I will just keep it".
forgot to mention that if you find one in or near central florida I will be more than happy to look at it for you, hell I will even haggle price for you.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:09 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob34787 View Post
forgot to mention that if you find one in or near central florida I will be more than happy to look at it for you, hell I will even haggle price for you.
Thanks Bob...it does appear that they are usually in Florida, California...with an ocassional Texas! Tom
Old 08-10-2009, 01:44 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
I have found a few nice ones here. There was an 04 28' ccd with a reese hitch for 28,000 a few months ago, perfect condition. If I can help let me know, i am retired and love to look at Airstreams