Old 03-23-2004, 04:52 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Hey, hey, hey, what's so bad about the Beatrice years? Mine has a Beatrice tag on it. Seems to be well built, and by golly she's still on the road Right now she's being used every day in Florida.

Other than the "rear end separation" and the gusset plates in the axle mounting area......she seems as well built if not better than some of the newest models.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 09:37 PM   #22
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Pick,
If I recall the history correctly, if Thor hadn't purchased AS when theyd did it was going into bankruptcy and be parted off. Beatrice did manage to maintain the Airstream line but made a lot of bad design and money decisions. They looked on AS as a cash cow, and once the cash was gone the wanted to eat steak. BTW mine is a Beatrice Foods year model too, with all of the inherent problems.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 09:56 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Market up...

I sold my Harleys , my beemers, my VW's I guess it's time for me to offload, I like tenting... Come get it for $4100 needs work, 27 ft Ambasador, front dinette rear bath, Pictures available for serious buyers.
Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 11:02 PM   #24
doh
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Manchaca , Texas
Thumbs up wahoonc

The Fleetwood party line is that $$ is the issue. This is good for Fleetwood, particulary explaining the rift to their customers.

The Coleman story is that it is quality.

I had a 1993 Coleman Williamsburg from 1993 to late 2003. Very nice camper - no plastic roof that caved in and bulged at the sides & no vendor that denied it was their problem, turning their backs on the very people that kept them in business.

Me thinks Fleetwood is way too arrogant & is destined to suffer the consequences of their poor business decisions.

Whatever is the truth on that fiasico, I think Coleman is likely the winner.

Thor definitely saved airstream, just as Beatrice did when they bought it - by the late 60's after Wallys' death it was also in serious trouble. So, we owe a lot of thanks to both of them & I hope that there are a few students of history in Jackson Center, otherwise - they are destined to .............

I have no gripes about my Airstream, perfection is most elusive.
It found me & I'm happy

Old 03-24-2004, 06:55 AM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
We love our '04 too. As most know we had an '03 Bambi and there was a huge push from the customers and Airstream listened. The overall quality of the units is much better. So I have to believe that the folks in Jackson Center have their fingers on the pulse.

The March '04 Forbes article about Thor I found very interesting. You can get bits and pieces of that here:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ghlight=forbes
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 06:25 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Re: Market up...

Quote:
Originally posted by Phaedrus
I sold my Harleys , my beemers, my VW's I guess it's time for me to offload, I like tenting... Come get it for $4100 needs work, 27 ft Ambasador, front dinette rear bath, Pictures available for serious buyers.
Guess the market is back down Seriously... anyone from/ know of the TAMPA BAY UNIT???
Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 05:14 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

There is an article in Forbes Magazine this month about Thor Industries.
It took me a year to find one locally. Although I did pass on an Argosy.
There just don't seem to be a lot of AS in my area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	5504  
Stagehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 05:57 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

values?

My 2 cents says that here in Florida there are a larger number of orphaned A/S's than most places, but the market seems to be divided into the people who are knowledgeable and the people who think an old A/S is just old and worth little...values on good old units have bottomed out and are rising some as compared to the new units....jem
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 06:04 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Maybe prices are coming down!

http://www.airforums.com/forum...6953#post86953
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 06:58 PM   #30
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Re: Re: Ty for the info Airstream Life

Quote:
Originally posted by wahoonc

Keep going on those popup prices. A fully loaded Coleman/Fleetwood goes for close to $15K. BTW I currently own a 2000 that listed for over $13.5k in 2000.

This is why we got into Airstreaming. I wanted to keep it simple and inexpensive. When I saw at the time (1995) that popups were going to run 7-8K for a basic new one it was not too much of a leap to go buy a used (1974) Airstream. Here we are 10 years later and on our 4th one. Who wooda thunk it?
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 12:10 PM   #31
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Quote:
Another element that might contribute to the popularity of vintage Airstreams is the high cost of a new unit…

If you think about it Airstream's biggest competitor is probably Airstream itself. Since these babies never really wear out and no other brand provides a similarly styled unit with the reputation of a true "American Brand" means the only alternative for people for those people discovering Airstreams for the first time who can't afford a shiny new one are in fact older Airstreams.

As the factory continues to drive its brand and consumer demand increases, sales will continue to "spill over" into used units. I've seen this phenomenon many times on a dealer's lots. Knowing what an AS nut I am they'll tell me they can't keep them on the lot for more than a week. They get calls off their website from all across the country and sell them well above book. And these reports are from dealers who don't carry Airstream.

It's even happened to me when I've parked mine in front of a dealership I'm visiting for a few days. On two occasions the sales manager asked me to move it because people are coming in off the highway to ask about it and they have to tell them it's not for sale! (I always say if you get $100K for that piece of classic Americana then it's for sale!)

Since Airstream is doing such a good job of selling the brand and generating increasing demand and new unit sales and because the pool of available used units for sale at any given time is finite then it seems to me that the only place for the price of our older units to go is up.

Once demand begins to level off or decline then the bubble will be over and we can all go back to plucking jewels out of farmer’s fields again!
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 07:48 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
IMHO - I think one factor that is affecting not only the price of Airstreams but all recreational vehicles - is world unrest!

North Americans had a rude awakening call! - Family became important again! The ideals of yesteryear and Family "Camping" were re-born.

Travel abroad has decreased resulting in increased travel in North America - and what a better way to travel and see your own Continent! Airstreaming!!

On another note re: prices the season has a definite impact on prices as with boats, snowmobiles etc. - March, April are big months for sales with summer coming. Prices were up! We bought in Feb when the prices seemed to be lower. During the summer months they were steady with a noticiable decrease in available units.

Now we are looking again and in general the vintage prices are down again (always the exception of some units that seem to be priced high - but then they usually seem to be rare layouts or special years) However there seem to be a lot out there for sale right now!

Another point could be that we are the last of the Baby Boomers - and I think we are also the last of the generation that was to be seen and not heard. We appreciate our elders and were taught to appreciate value in products. Not necessarily buying current when something a little older is just as good and cost a little less (taking into consideration the money required to restore). It was the used bike that was made to look brand new and happened to be faster than any other on the street. The ball glove that was well broken in making you look like a star while everyone else suffered from blisters from their new gloves.

And get ready - there will be another 300+ or so vintage trailers added to the stock as we turn another page to 2005 - calling all 1980's yep you will soon be classified a "Vintage" unit. Happy 25th!

And a final note - prices will be as high as we are willing to pay for what we feel is important to us. I think the "flippers" are very few in comparison to the real deal.

Just reading this forum is enough to give someone the impression that we are towing GOLD on Black Rubber rather than aluminium.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote