Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2009, 07:14 AM   #1

1967 26' Overlander
Taber , Alberta
Price for 1967 Airstream Overlander

My uncle recently passed away and I am the executrix of his estate. He owned a 1967 Airstream Overlander and I need to have a value to take to the probate court. As far as condition, I would say fair to poor. It has all original appliances and fixtures but needs some major cleaning and fixing. The exterior is in fairly good shape. Basically I need to know where to go to get prices of similiar trailers so that I can document a fair value to take to the probate judge and also to know what to sell for as well. Any help I could get would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
scarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:23 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Sorry to hear about your loss...
Price vs. Condition - Airstream Values is a good guide to the value of the trailer. When the time comes to sell the trailer you can use the classifieds section of the forums for that. We have a huge audience of owners and want to be owners here.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello. Dealing with relatives possessions frequently is a quandary. This site, Price vs. Condition - Airstream Values, will give some general ballpark figures. R.J. Dial, the owner of vintageairstream.com, has made an effort to keep his price lists up to date with current market conditions.

For some obvious reasons the used Airstream market is not as hot as it was after a lot of publicity 2 years ago. Beyond the visible, a unit of this age will usually have some leaks, possible floor or structural issues, and basically need a major refurb even if trying to keep as original as possible. That is why the price difference between 'As found' and 'Restored is so broad. To me, 'Average' condition would imply that the previous owner had it in good enough repair to tow, operate appliances safely and use right up until the day it was put on the market. For instance, are the tires less than 5 years old (for resale value, preferably less than 2-3).

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Sorry for your loss Scarlin. One resource is to also look at Craigslist or Auttrader ads and see what prices are being asked for similar units. From past experience, I don't often see many Airstream ads listed in Calgary or Edmonton, so you might look at the Vancouver and Victoria Craigslists and the BC Autotrader. Try Ontario as well. You can also look South of the line in Seattle, etc. You might be able to find a local forum member who would be willing to come look at the trailer to help you establish condition and value. Is the trailer in Taber, or is it located elswhere?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
As others have stated, I am sorry for your loss. We paid $3500 for our 1967 Overlander in Maryland last August. It was in what I would describe as "fair" condition; and what the previous owner described as "very good" condition. Our Overlander had the issues that I would describe as typical. The floor was bad in the rear bathroom and near the entry door. The original appliances were in place. The original cabinetry was in decent condition. The axles were bad as were the tires.

I think a value of between $2,000 and $3,000 would be defensible to a probate court. If it would help you, I could attest in an affadavit as to the sale price of the Overlander we purchased and its condition. I'm not an expert on probate, but the court might accept this as of some evidentiary value.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:25 AM   #6

1967 26' Overlander
Taber , Alberta
Thank you all for both your condolences and your advice. I did check out "prices vs condition" and I will have to take a closer look at things now but from what I remember it seems to fall in the "as found" condition but probably on the higher side of that. Yes, cameront, the trailer is in Taber. It is parked in my Uncle's back yard and has not been used since he bought it a few years ago. I believe he bought it with thoughts of restoring it. So, being in Taber, (a small town in southern Alberta, Canada for those that do not know) I'm not sure how much interest I will have when time comes to sell so I will have to factor that in when establishing a price. Thanks again everyone for your help.
scarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
If you go to the member list, you will find a couple of members close by in lethbridge. Perhaps one of them would be willing to help you establish a fair price for it. The overlander is a popular size of trailer, so you may be able to get rid of it easier than you think. Once you have price, be sure to list it here at the forum classifieds.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:02 PM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Don't worry about your location when selling. Buyers will travel great distances to purchase an Airstream.

If you sell it, they will come...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags