Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
Milton , Washington
Price Check on '76 Safari

Hi, I'm back again and this time I found a 1976 Safari 23' that I'm very interested in (previous trailer that I was was interested in was advertised as a 23' trailer was actually turned out to be a 27' Overlander. I received a lot of good info on this forum from members...so thank you for that).

I would like to see what everybody thinks a reasonable price is. The trailer has apparently sat for 3 or so years so sounds like the tires will most likely need replacing and bearing/brakes checked before being towed home. I'm not sure about axle problems on this year trailer.

The owner mentioned that a dent was rolled out in the back shower area and the interior panels are still off. From the pictures that I have seen (not very good resolution) it looked like the outside shell was in great to excellent shape.

Sounds like some of the plumbing needs some minor work. Apparently all appliances are original and work. The propane tanks are original too.

One thing that concerns me is the windows which might not be such a big deal. Since they started to fog, they were apparently converted to single pane. I've done some reading on the forum and it sounds like if not done properly they can leak. Is this correct?

My problem with finding smaller AS trailers is that I'll most likely be committing to a trailer that I haven't seen in person until I drive 1,000 miles. Is $8000 reasonable for a trailer with the issues I have listed?? All the Safari trailers I have seen listed have ranged from $6000 to $21000. Thanks in advance!
mile2885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
Hi mile2885,

Even though we are newbies, we found this article very helpful: Price vs. Condition - Airstream Values

We looked at many AS on Ebay and the Classified, but only inspected three in person before buying the Silver Pearl. Even though the Pearl is in good condition for her age, we have already put over $1,700 into her for a window replacement ($400 labor--we supplied the window from PO), roof, window and body reseal, 7 way plug & breakaway cables ($112/hr. labor). It adds up fast if you don't do the work yourself. Haven't tried the water heater due to AS being winterized and so far the refrigerator does not work on LP. I quote from the above article "The more perfect condition a trailer is in, with minimal deferred repairs and damage - the better the deal. You will always come out money ahead by paying up front and getting a well maintained AS in as good as condition as possible." Hope this helps.

Ellen and Wayne
Rawfoodgirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mile2885 View Post
Hi, I'm back again and this time I found a 1976 Safari 23' that I'm very interested in (previous trailer that I was was interested in was advertised as a 23' trailer was actually turned out to be a 27' Overlander. I received a lot of good info on this forum from members...so thank you for that).

I would like to see what everybody thinks a reasonable price is. The trailer has apparently sat for 3 or so years so sounds like the tires will most likely need replacing and bearing/brakes checked before being towed home. I'm not sure about axle problems on this year trailer.

The owner mentioned that a dent was rolled out in the back shower area and the interior panels are still off. From the pictures that I have seen (not very good resolution) it looked like the outside shell was in great to excellent shape.

Sounds like some of the plumbing needs some minor work. Apparently all appliances are original and work. The propane tanks are original too.

One thing that concerns me is the windows which might not be such a big deal. Since they started to fog, they were apparently converted to single pane. I've done some reading on the forum and it sounds like if not done properly they can leak. Is this correct?

My problem with finding smaller AS trailers is that I'll most likely be committing to a trailer that I haven't seen in person until I drive 1,000 miles. Is $8000 reasonable for a trailer with the issues I have listed?? All the Safari trailers I have seen listed have ranged from $6000 to $21000. Thanks in advance!
That price, would be a good price, "IF" the trailer was in top condition.

The trailer being 34 years old, and having sat for an extended period of time, almost promises that the axles life is gone.

You can check them out yourself. Read the article about axles in the "Airstream Central" section of this Forums.

next, to see how the owner has taken care of the trailer, how are the exterior gaskets, on the windows and doors?

If they have not been replaced, as they should have years ago, that would suggest how the trailer was taken care of, or lack of care.

The clearcoat is only good for 5 to 6 years. Has that been reworked?

Original water heater? They normally don't last 34 years.

Furnace, Reefer?

Those are just a few of the big expense items.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I would prefer a trailer that was used last week over at one that has sat for years. 8K sounds high to me for a trailer that needs plumbing work, has some skins removed and sat for at least 3 years.

I once drove almost 1000 miles to buy a trailer that was "perfect" according to the seller. It was a project with numerous issues that the pictures did not show. I walked away from the deal, lost some money in the process, but found a great trailer several months later.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
That "perfect" in Airstreaming language is "purrfect"

But, when that "purr" becomes a "growl", it's time to not walk, but "run" from the deal.

Of course you can always negotiate, that the seller is 1/2 wrong and the buyer is 1/2 right, so 50 percent of the $8000.00 is a"fair" deal for both. All the seller can say is "yes" or "no".

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
Milton , Washington
I understand that any trailer I buy will most likely need some work. I guess it might take a long trip to see what condition the trailer is actually in. I don't mind minor repairs. I'm having a very hard time finding smaller trailers in good shape and would really like to have something by spring or summer. Seems like every trailer I've been insterested sells fast.

My dad is trying to sway me into buying a 2005 Komfort for a few thousand more than the 76 AS. I've seen what happens to regular trailers once they get roof damage...that is why I'm still leaning towards a vintage AS. Resale is another major factor.

Axles would be my biggest concern on this trailer since I would most likely be updating the interior anyway.

I guess I could always go down with a pocket full of cash and see if the seller is really firm on the price. Thanks for all the advice. This is a great site!
Old 03-15-2010, 10:00 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
Milton , Washington

Name:   shower wall .jpg
Views: 326
Size:  35.1 KB

How hard are the shower walls to fix? Should I run?
Old 03-16-2010, 07:00 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
I think you can find an AS in better shape if you wait.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Attachment 98180

How hard are the shower walls to fix? Should I run?
..in a word....yes.

you can do much better than this for $8K, imho... half that amount would be pushin' it...

good luck, keep looking and hardest of all: be patient.... yours is out there...
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:26 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Valley Grande , Alabama
my two cents

You are getting some EXCELLENT advice from these posters so far... let me add my two cents (for what it's worth!

I wish we had really studied and WAITED (I know it is hard!) to find the one that was right for us. Andy said it best-- there ain't no perfect trailer. Even some of the new ones have issues, I am sure.

What I do know is this: (and this is coming from a very impatient person) take your time and buy one that you think you can make liveable for YOU. If you don't know much about plumbing, you will have to learn if the trailer you buy has those issues and so on. We paid 4800.00 for a 71 that had great double axles. The most important thing to my dh was that he could tow it safely. And even though the inside needed more work, he felt he could do that as opposed to reworking the axles and breaks.

Purchasing an airstream is A LOT like having a baby! You should think long and hard about getting the "right" one for you because they can be lots of work (like babies) at first, then they are lots of FUN! Have fun searching!
holder310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:07 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
Milton , Washington
After reading on the bathroom wall repair, I'm going to pass. It sounds like I'll have to take most of the bathroom apart and then make or find a new wall piece since the one in the picture looks beyond repair. The seller doesn't seem like he wants to budge much because the trailer is in "great shape". Bummer. I'll keep looking. Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:33 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
..smart move.. tell the owner to stuff it (kidding)...

..funny how all the trailers for sale are in "grreat shape", huh?..

..really, though, if you have any common sense at all and needed to repair an exterior dent, would you CUT UP the interior wall to get at it?...sure, there's a lot of rivets, but they go in and out pretty easily... this is the sign of a doofus with no appreciation for good design or construction...sadly, they may actually find someone to buy the trailer for that price...
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
good decision

Quote:
After reading on the bathroom wall repair, I'm going to pass. It sounds like I'll have to take most of the bathroom apart and then make or find a new wall piece since the one in the picture looks beyond repair. The seller doesn't seem like he wants to budge much because the trailer is in "great shape". Bummer. I'll keep looking. Thanks for all the help.
Sounds like you have made a good decision to me.....it is amazing what people will say about their trailers being in great condition and then when you see them...???? Or they say, it is easy to polish to a mirror image or easy to pull out the dent......it is not easy to do any of that stuff. And you don't even know about the sub floor......do not be in too much of a rush to find the right trailer......and good luck......it will come. pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
Hi Mile2885,

Did you see this one in the Classifieds? 1972 25ft Tradewind - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Used Airstreams For Sale

Ellen
Old 03-18-2010, 07:36 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
Milton , Washington
No, I haven't see that one yet. The thing that got me really exicted about the Safari was it was actually close....less than 700 miles away. I'm in WA state so that trailer looks nice, price is right but that would be quite a haul for me. There is a beautiful Safari in British Columbia but it's out of reach price wise.