Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2018, 05:03 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Nashville , Tennessee
What's it WORTH????

What's it WEIGH???

Now you know what that trailer is really WORTH!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 05:13 PM   #22
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatleys View Post
IMO, if it's yours, do what you want with it. These units are not that rare, and if they were, those who care could set up a foundation to buy up these trailers and put them in museums. Until then, yes, it's nice to save and restore a vintage unit, but there's nothing wrong with buying a cool vintage thing and putting it to use.

It's not like the particular unit we're discussing is much of a museum piece anyway. If OP wants to save it from the scrap heap and make it into something useful, good on her.
You and me both; I was just tonque in cheek responding to what ALUMINUMINUM had posted at the top of his post about staying away from "Vintage" trailers. Lets face it...it's the reason the owners are asking so much for it in the first place.

To me, as I stated in my posts, unless functional it's only worth its weight in scrap metal, or what it's worth to a prospective buyer.

Sorry to be a bit of a chump, but I was just trying to lighten things up a bit.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:24 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
What a lively community!

Thank you all SO much.

I bet somewhere on this site is an explanation of how to check the rivets, etc for leaks... to start with!

It's a bit of a drive to see it so I'll send the owner what I've learned so I don't waste the day going. (I do think they are in too deep with it to hear the truth) But I need what they generally have so worth continuing to consider and be (friendly and) up front about.

SO many great reminders and advice. I can't bear the thought of gutting a trailer that could be kept intact and/or restored. If this one isn't a fit I'll keep looking for (another) one that can't be returned to original glory. I fit into the community that isn't much interested in anything built/ designed after the early 1970's. Wherever that community is!

Denise
DeniseP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:33 PM   #24

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
update?

@DeniseP - Did you ever end up finding one? I, too, am in Austin and looking to do something similar, albeit to use as an office. I've read through this thread and there were some insightful and helpful responses that have me wondering if it isn't best to keep my eyes peeled for one that's already been professionally restored.
ls11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:45 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
update on my adventure

@ls11 I ended up finding and buying a 1965 Safari that someone had removed the bathroom from as well as kitchen appliances except the sink. They were chemically sensitive so I knew the materials were thoughtful. It was also done well, in an aesthetic I could appreciate which I find rare. It's a single axle model which I hear is less common and so I was lucky to find- and will be easier to manage when I take it on the road for someone new to pulling a trailer. It has lots of cabinets and I made a pedestal for a rear twin - so my boys are happy and I am. In the end, I'm very lucky to have found this. The more I looked and the wonderful advice I received here helped me slow down so I didn't get in over my head. Many people in town seem to be redoing these so there should be local advice and support. I searched as far as I could on craigslist and signed up for notifications when Airstreams were listed. This one came from Phoenix. From a man who buys and does some repair and resells. We replaced some windows and resealed all of them once it arrived. I wasn't thrilled with the quality of work the person we bought it from did and also the things he didn't do which is why I'm not recommending him. He also had us pay in full before delivery and that was only something I did after having a relative who lived in his town go by. Since he was clearly a business we crossed our fingers. And it arrived! I've found amazing help from this forum so welcome and best of luck!!!!

Denise
DeniseP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:27 PM   #26

1961 28' Ambassador
1981 28' Airstream 280
E.freetown , Massachusetts
just picked up a 1981 exsella 280 with isuzu diesel odometer reads 80,000 #2 piston went through the side of the block.over all condition of rv is all good in search of 6bd1T block. What are these moho's worth thx
Rchampagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:02 AM   #27
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rchampagne View Post
just picked up a 1981 exsella 280 with isuzu diesel odometer reads 80,000 #2 piston went through the side of the block.over all condition of rv is all good in search of 6bd1T block. What are these moho's worth thx
Your motor is a 6BD1A with a BAE low pressure aftermarket turbo kit. The last time someone blew a 6BD1A motor, it took them three years to get a new motor and up and running again.
While I strongly suspect there is very little external difference between a 6BD1a and a 6BD1T, regarding where ancillary stuff is attached, I don't know for sure. Also keep your motor for swapping over fuel delivery systems if you buy an industrial version of the 6BD1, A or T, as fuel systems for industrial motors are not variable as automotive ones are.

What I do know for sure, is if and when my 6BD1A goes BOOM, (which I pray it doesn't), I have a Cummins P-Pump 12 valve motor with an Allison transmission ready to replace it with. You'd have better luck going that route, especially down the road as far as searching for parts for the motor is concerned.

If you decide to go the Cummins route, please contact me to sell engine parts off your 6BD1.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

PS What is an 81 280 worth? Not as much as later 310's, which have the more desirable center bathroom and rear panowindows. A good working Excella diesel in unrestored or unrenovated condition is worth 15 to 20K; but it could cost you 15+k to get and replace the motor.

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:14 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Middletown , Rhode Island
Hi there’s a 1966 24ft tradewind with double axle for sale for 6800 in west Warwick Rhode Island. It’s gutted as well but all ready for someone to make their own. It looks like it’s in incredible shape. No affiliation with seller. It’s on Facebook marketplace.
Mx468 is offline   Reply With Quote