Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2016, 03:22 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

beaumont , Texas
possible scam help

There is a vintage airstream in the forum classifieds that I have tried to contact the seller about. first, it is low priced, second, no response to first two attempts. I did get a text from seller asking for my email to send me information on it. I am uncomfortable with what is going on here. I was not thinking, and sent the email and now wish I had not. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Is there any way to check on a seller? Richard in Texas
Dixie722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
Lots of trailers out there. Just send a message saying you have other plans. Having you email address should not put you in jeopardy.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:14 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
I don't believe there's much anyone can do with just your email address. I've found a lot of people (mostly craigslist) who aren't familiar with selling a product and communicating over the Internet seem like they might be scammers when really they just are awkward.
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Is the seller an actual active member or a one post Johnny that only joined to place a classified? Those are the ones that I would be more cautious of.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:07 PM   #5

1977 29' Ambassador
mesa , Arizona
This is listed in the Airstream Classifieds, 1980 International airstream 25ft. $3,000.
This is a scam all scams will be worded as following below.......

eBay will handle this transaction for us, I'm really sorry but I don't have time for this.

Just saying if you don't want to meet with me one-on-one to make the sale.
" <brendahmcgill@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

As I told you in my first email, got a new job and moved to another city (Omaha, NE). Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with eBay Motors so my presence isn't necessary. They won't give me any money until you receive and test the camper. The camper is at the shipping company, ready to be delivered. The delivery process is managed by me. You got 7 days to test and inspect the camper. So if you want to make this deal I need the following details from you: full name, shipping address and phone number. Once I got all the details, I will forward them to eBay and they will proceed with the order. They'll email you with all the information that you need to complete this deal and also they will confirm that the deal is conducted through them and I'm a legitimate seller. Waiting your email with the requested details.

Thanks and look forward to hearing from you,
Brenda

Hello,

As I told you in my first email, got a new job and moved to another city (Omaha, NE). Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with eBay Motors so my presence isn't necessary. They won't give me any money until you receive and test the camper. The camper is at the shipping company, ready to be delivered. The delivery process is managed by me. You got 7 days to test and inspect the camper. So if you want to make this deal I need the following details from you: full name, shipping address and phone number. Once I got all the details, I will forward them to eBay and they will proceed with the order. They'll email you with all the information that you need to complete this deal and also they will confirm that the deal is conducted through them and I'm a legitimate seller. Waiting your email with the requested details.

Thanks and look forward to hearing from you,
Brenda

Hello,

I'm emailing you about the camper that I have for sale. My 1980 Airstream International Tradewind 25' is still available. It is in a good condition, with a little Polish, no damages, it has never been involved in any kind of accidents, without any hidden problems, tires and wheels are in great shape as well, electric is working perfectly. Full Bath, including: AC, Antenna, Awning .Comes with all books and manuals, the skin is very straight, has a new water heater. Has a clean and clear title in my name.This trailer is fully self contained and Is ready to go camping. I'm selling it at this final price $3,000 because my husband died 3 months ago (he had a heart attack) and brings me bad memories and that's the reason I want to sell it asap. I also got a new job and moved to another city, and many other things have priority now, so this camper has to go. If you are interested in buying my camper, feel free to email me at any time. I have sent you a link with more pics.

Pictures : http://jpegbay.com/gallery/005552794-.html#1

Best regards,
Brenda
UglyPugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:30 PM   #6
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Please hit the report ad button if something looks wrong on an ad and we will check it out and report to authorities. This particular trailer has been advertised all over the internet and is clearly a scam.

Be careful - always check out a trailer in person (or enlist the help of an inspector) before buying. There are a lot of great rigs out there for sale and honest sellers, but it pays to be cautious.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:14 PM   #7
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Hi, Dixie. As Janet suggest above, please use the button on Airstream Classifieds that says "Report This Ad" so the moderators can get a bead on exactly which ad you're talking about. That will help them help you.

Thanks, and best of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie722 View Post
There is a vintage airstream in the forum classifieds that I have tried to contact the seller about. first, it is low priced, second, no response to first two attempts. I did get a text from seller asking for my email to send me information on it. I am uncomfortable with what is going on here. I was not thinking, and sent the email and now wish I had not. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Is there any way to check on a seller? Richard in Texas

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:40 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

beaumont , Texas
scam

Thanks for all the support, and that is the ad I was talking about. I reported it to ebay, and will hit the report on our forum. My question is.. why do people do this? what do they get of it? or are they just jerks? anyway,, glad and proud to be a member of this forum. I have met so many good people and gotten a lot of good advice through the years. I look forward to finding my next airstream... looking now. Richard in Texas
Old 09-13-2016, 07:42 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

beaumont , Texas
scam

I think they pulled the ad already.... that is good. thanks again Richard
Old 09-13-2016, 08:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
My question is.. why do people do this? what do they get of it?

Data mining.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 09-13-2016, 08:22 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Thanks for all the support, and that is the ad I was talking about. I reported it to ebay, and will hit the report on our forum. My question is.. why do people do this? what do they get of it? or are they just jerks? anyway,, glad and proud to be a member of this forum. I have met so many good people and gotten a lot of good advice through the years. I look forward to finding my next Airstream... looking now. Richard in Texas
They get your special information, interested in a purchase of an Airstream, and can sell that. That is the lesser of their reasoning. At some point there are people that will send the complete payment and that is what they really want.

I have a neighbor that sent $3,000.00 for a car listed in Kansas that did not exists. she lost $3,000.00.

This is a very safe crime as no police department is going to take an interest once committed.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:38 PM   #12
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
Quote:
Be sure to disable "Display 3rd party content" in your mail app. It will be an inconvenience for some time, but I have mine disabled at all times. Also recommend you disable Java. You may need help with this. No matter how tempting, don't click any links sent via email if they're from an unfamiliar sender! Regards, Rich
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:43 PM   #13
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Data mining.
Chief, data mining would be the least of threats to be considering ... I'm thinking they had considerably more malicious intent in mind... Having a confirmed email address to someone who responded to such an ad opens a world of possibilities with many downstream consequences, starting with crafted emails targeting someone's interest. It's hard not to load content that could carry a malicious payload... And then the root kit is installed and all of your accounts and contacts and keystrokes and and and ...
Save
Old 09-13-2016, 02:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
You might want to create and email address that you use exclusively with Craigslist and similar for sale sites.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:35 PM   #15
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
You might want to create and email address that you use exclusively with Craigslist and similar for sale sites.
Great point. I personally have a permanent forwarding account that only my closest friends and family have. Invariably, someone sends me an e-card or an invite from a 3rd party website and I don't open the link. I delete it and e-mail separately after the fact to RSVP. Furthermore, because I don't auto-load 3rd party content/images, there's no chance that they'll confirm my address if I accidentally open an e-mail with such tracking pixels/images

I have a shopping/everything else e-mail address that I use for all of my shopping and subscriptions to forums. I do get some spam, but generally, it's acceptable spam because I used that address to get it. If there ever comes a time that this gets to be too much, then I can abort the address and change my e-mail address to something different and update only the sites/forums I want to receive e-mail from.

Finally, I have another address that is basically a disposable address. If I need to confirm I'm me but never care to see anything sent to me, it goes to that address.

This has worked very well for me and I got my sister to do the same. But it doesn't do any good if you are prone to clicking on an embedded link, regardless of how tempting or good it looks. Never click on a link in an e-mail, even if it appears to be from a bond ride sender, like your bank, insurance company, or otherwise. And be sure to use strong passwords and change them often too.
Save
Old 09-14-2016, 01:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffin-rich View Post
Chief, data mining would be the least of threats to be considering ... I'm thinking they had considerably more malicious intent in mind... Having a confirmed email address to someone who responded to such an ad opens a world of possibilities with many downstream consequences, starting with crafted emails targeting someone's interest. It's hard not to load content that could carry a malicious payload... And then the root kit is installed and all of your accounts and contacts and keystrokes and and and ...
If you say so that must be right.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:34 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
He's absolutely right. As a computer security professional, I recognize that's an easily achieved worst-case scenario.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote