RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-13-2021, 04:18 PM   #1

1981 31' Excella II
San Antonio , Texas
Please help me choose/value of used Airstream

We are looking to enter the Airstream world and we currently have 2 trailers on our watch list....a 1967 Ambassador 28' and a 1991 Excella 25. I know, huge difference in age, but we are estimating close to the same overall cost when you go by list price + estimated repairs.

I am hoping for some thoughts/opinions on buying a vintage vs. newer. I have been reading on here about the "Beatrice" years and I think I'm outside of that with the 67', however, for some reason NADA doesn't give an option for '67 Airstreams (did they not make any that year??), so this concerns me that either the seller has the year wrong, or IDK what...

We are going to use this stationary on our property and eventually rent as an AirBnb. We are handy to do many repairs, but also really busy so we want something we can use almost immediately and tackle repairs later/gradually.

I appreciate any input and thoughts on pricing!!

Here is a link to the 1991. I haven't talked to the seller yet to ask about condition, but it looks decent.
https://www.airstreamclassifieds.com...klahoma-360722

Here is info on the '67. The seller has provided a ton of info on suggested repairs. The big thing that scares me is the sagging floor in the rear, and they said if I am leaving it stationary I might not need to fix it (so is this that rear-separation I keep reading about)? I am NOT looking for a frame-off renovation.

Vintage 1967 Airstream Ambassador Land Yacht 28’ Sleeps 4
We have owned and loved this vintage Airstream for over 20 years.
It has the original storage cabinets above and below the gaucho, above and below the twin beds, in the kitchen and bathroom. It also has 2 hanging closets between the beds and bathroom. It is the model with a rear bathroom and beds in the middle. It has a gaucho couch in front, original foam and upholstery on the gaucho have been replaced.
There is 3 burner stovetop that works well and a double sink with Formica
sink cover that matches the yellow Formica countertops. There is a brand new chrome pull-out kitchen sink faucet and a pump soap dispenser.
The bathroom has bathtub with the original nylon shower curtain with gold trim. New chrome faucet in the bathroom sink.
Furnace has been removed, no air conditioner. There are 2 Fantastic Fans with thermostats works well.
Have never used the original Magic Chef oven so do not know if it works.
Has original refrigerator but never used so do not know if it works.
The screens need new screening on them.
This has newer stone looking vinyl flooring everywhere except the bathroom.
Most of the flooring is solid. However, the floor sags from just behind the rear
axle to the rear of the trailer. The bathroom floor is soft in various locations and needs to be replaced. The trailer frame in the rear might need to be repaired when replacing the rear floor. The original water heater has been removed. A top of the line Girard GSWH-2 tankless hot water heater is included and would be installed after the flooring repair. The special cover panel that fits this year Airstream is also included.
The 12 volt system should be updated. A new 12V battery and fuse panel are
included. The 110V AC system functions, but I would consider upgrading this due to age. The 7-way trailer wiring needs some maintenance.
Window gaskets need to be replaced.
There is brand new pex plumbing throughout. Some finish work is required to
make it all fully functional.
The marker lights need to be replaced. LED lights to replace them are included.
We had new axles, electric brakes, rotors, and tires put on about 6 years ago, these have seen less than 500 road miles. Although the tires are close to new, they have been sitting for the past six years and may need to be replaced.
sylvia210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
First off, welcome to AirForums!

The biggest difference between a '67 & '91 is going to be the '67 did not have a grey tank. Those were not added to Airstreams until 1973, unless the '67 was retrofit with one (not listed). If you are going to park it on your property, it may or may not be a big deal...are you going to have sewer or septic hook-ups?

The other big difference is going to be in the styling. I think if you were going to offer it up as an AirBnB spot, you would attract more people the older and more "vintage" it is.

I wouldn't worry about the "Beatrice Years" that much....the condition of the individual trailer is more of a real issue. Yes, the sagging floor mentioned is most likely due to rear end separation common to the longer trailers of that era.

Yes, they made Airstreams in 1967...a picture of the plate near the door will have a VIN# which can confirm the year & model. Pictures of the trailer would help too. NADA doesn't go back that far...your best bet is going to be to check out this website: Price vs Condition for vintage models.

I would find these two comments a bit hard to believe being they've had the trailer 20+ years...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvia210 View Post
Have never used the original Magic Chef oven so do not know if it works.
Has original refrigerator but never used so do not know if it works.
You would have to assume they DON'T work...

Good luck in whichever one you decide to go with!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote