Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2006, 09:57 PM   #1
Rikkilin

1977 31' Excella 500
Monroe , Happy new Country girl
Newbie Looking at a 1974 Safari 23 Value??

Hello,
First I just want to say that this is the best web site I've found for people who truely are passionate about Airstreams!

Okay, I've found a 1974 Safari 23 with double beds, rear bath and tandem axles. The gentleman who owns it says that it has the 3 holding tanks. He has put a new AC

, new valves, new pump, and he has removed, repaired and replaced the holding tanks. There are 30 lb. alum propane tanks, already upgraded to OPD, a spare tire mount he afixed to the tongue. Alum. wheels and 'slotted mags'. The skin has normal wear and tear for this age. Some oxidation, small pits and small scrapes.
He has owned it since 1984 and never checked the brakes. But says he's never had a problem with them. The trailer has been in regular use and not stored for long lengths of time.

He wants 7500. I think this might be fair. Alittle beyond what I can afford, can I offer less and still be fair to him?

I'm not afraid of hard work to make Airstream dreams come true for myself and my daughter. But would I be getting in over my head??

Is there any problems with a 1974 Safari 23, that I should know about before I take this on?

Any advice would be mighty helpful.

Thanks

*You can not offer to another, what you do not have for yourself*
rikkilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:12 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Hi and welcome. Routine issues include leaks causing soft floors - especially around toilet, door and battery compartment, univolts gone bad and axles that need to be replaced.

Axles are a big ticket item. Floors are a hassle to fix but many of us have done these repairs. Learn to use the search tool on the blue tool bar to find info about these issues. If you can't find what you need - ask someone's already done it.

As for the price - it sounds a little steep - especially if you will need to replace axles - they often begin to fail after 30 years. On the other hand - smaller trailers are in high demand and fetch more moola....

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 08:33 AM   #3
Rikkilin

1977 31' Excella 500
Looking at info on axles

Thank you for your response Janet. The owner says the axles are good and has invited me to do come do a visual inspection and go through with him. I just don't know what to look for. But I'm trying hard to educate myself.

Rikkilin

* You can not offer to another that which you don't have for yourself*
Old 05-27-2006, 08:41 AM   #4
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
You can determine if the axles are wearing out by visual inspection chck out this article from inland rv http://inlandrv.com/articles/dura-torque-axle-92001.htm

You can also do a quick side view inspection. Stand 15 to 20 feet away and stoop down so that your eyes are even with the wheel well.

You should be able to see some of the tire, "above" the top of the wheel, perhaps as much as 1 to 3 inches, depending on the model.

This is a big deal becasue no matter who you buy the axles from they are expensive - not hard to change but spendy. $600.00 per or better.

AirForums Custom Search
Old 05-27-2006, 08:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
"Axles are good" does not mean the same as "new axles". I would confirm this and take him up on the visual inspection prior to purchasing this or any trailer.

As far as value, it is a bit on the high side...but not too bad assuming everything (appliances, plumbing, A/C, etc.) works as it should, the original interior is intact and there is no major body or floor damage. This Price vs Condition information may help you decide what is "fair" for that particular trailer. Spend some time reading it...lots of good information.

Good luck with your search ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 12:38 PM   #6
Rikkilin

1977 31' Excella 500
more Condition information

You folks are great!
I'm reading everything, in every direction that you've sent me to look for info. Great Stuff!
The more I read, the more I'm ready for what I might find and have to repair. Also, the more research I do to prepare, the more I find myself yearning for my very own airstream. I've looked for so long, that I keep having to pinch myself to keep my head level. This one is the perfect layout, size, well... just perfect.
Like I said before, I'm afraid of hard work. But with a dream this big I want my head level as I make the decision.
Boy I do sound like a Newbie don't I?!?

Rikkilin

Old 05-27-2006, 01:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
We bought a 75 last year and paid $5900 and it's 31 ft the shorter ones tend to bring a little more money. We have had to replace flooring, all new brakes, and fixin to have to re-place all the plumbing (leaks) We also had a past owner to tell us everything works, no leaks and no floor rot Ha Ha. We were so green I had read just enough to make me a little deadly. I would do it all over again though I love my trailer and we are doing it on a beer budget as we go. Be sure to check the floor by the front window and the front door also in the rear area. We liked our trailer so much because it was dent free that is another big cost if the dent cant be pulled out. Just read as much on here you can, also when you look at the trailer check everywhere don't take the owner for his word I don't care who he is
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 02:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut This [URL="http://www.vintageairstream.com/rr_topics_pricevscondition.html"
Price vs Condition[/url] information may help you decide what is "fair" for that particular trailer. Spend some time reading it...lots of good information.

Shari
Sorry to hijack your thread rikilin, but Shari how does one print the Prices vs. Condition Report? When I attempt to print, it exceeds the margins and chops off the last word or two in each line.

Thanks,
Ken

P.S.
Rikilin, Shari is right, the price is a tad high considering how much you may later discover that you must repair or replace. It is a real challenge to inspect the subfloor on '74 Safari 23 unless the owner will allow you to poke around with an ice pick. You can sneek a peek though the wardrobe in the bathroom, and you can see some sub-floor if you open the horizontally, piano hinged panel below the kitchen sink. The refrigerator compartment also has sume exposed subfloor. Ask him who replaced the holding tanks. Go ask them what the subflooring looked like when the had the belly pan off. Axles and subflooring are major expenses. Everything else you can do yourself in the driveway. All it takes is $$$. I would say the right rice is somewhere between $5500 and $7500 based on your description.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 05:54 PM   #9
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
One more thing to consider..... if you've looked a long time and are convinced this is the PERFECT trailer for you than that should be a decision factor as well. We looked a long time for our trailer -we had very specific size an wight limitations and vintage Airstreams are hard to come by - especially in your own area. many of us have drive 1000 miles or more to look at a trailer. some of us have returned home empty handed becasue of misrepresented trailers. Sometimes you have to follow your gut.

For me the line I will not step over is dented skins. They can't often be repaired and I don't have the will or skill to replace them.

AirForums Custom Search
Old 05-27-2006, 07:06 PM   #10
Rikkilin

1977 31' Excella 500
Thanks Janet, I agree on the skin. Not a line I will cross.

Okay, so I've been reading for hours the last several days. And I think if after an inspection checks out most things as working like he says. I'll run the water, turn everything on and bring a screw driver to poke the floor with! I'll try to offer him 6000. and be willing to move a little. Realising that I will definately be looking at a brake job. Shoot, he hasn't even checked them since 1984. And knowing that other things I can't even conceive of right now will and are going to come up.
After all we buy these for love, not because their perfect.
If the axles are bad and the floor is soft I'll consider walking away, but if I can't bring myself to do that, I'll offer 4500. Is this too high in that case.
If the skin is bad (I've seen this trailer briefly but only door side and quickly inside) I'll force myself to walk.
How's that sound???

Rikkilin

Old 05-27-2006, 07:15 PM   #11
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Axles can be replaced - fairly easily. They bolt on. It's just a cost thing. Soft floorss are a bigger issue - but an isolated rot spot fixable. Sounds... like you've got it baaaad. Completely understandable.... so do the rest of us.

AirForums Custom Search
Old 05-27-2006, 07:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
The 23's and 25's are rare in these parts so the first one we found for sale we bought. The 1973 23' Safari was in good condition but needed a set of tires and sprucing up. We had a few dents but they easily were pulled out with a product called "Dent King". Four years ago we paid $6,000 CDN. Although it is not for sale a guy has been trying to buy it. I told him if I ever did think of selling it would be around $8,000 cdn. He keeps phoning.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:06 PM   #13
Rikkilin

1977 31' Excella 500
thank you

Thank you all. I'm now educated, as well as passionate and more determined then ever for Airstream.
My friends are saying, "are you crazy, you work all the time. When are you going to have time?", I just give them a goofy smile. Knowing they don't understand.

Rikkilin

Old 05-28-2006, 06:09 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Good luck and happy decision making! Keep us posted because we'll all be interested in whether you walked or put your money down Also, if you take this baby home, we'd love to see pictures. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote