Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Canada , Manitoba
Need help in buying Airstream

I'm looking at a 1979 31' Airstream International Sovereign Land Yacht. I've never had an Airstream and here is what I know about this one. It seems to be all original and only on second owner. Owner indicated that everything works and I still need to verify few things. I noticed few small dents and some hail dents on the roof. It doesn't seem major. There is also a rip in the front underbelly done by a jack or something. I also noticed that the tires are weathered and should be replaced. I noticed something that looked like bondo/body filler (putty) in the bottom part of the wheel wells on both sides (this seemed strange). There is no awning and no spare tire. Over all the condition seems very good and cared for. The seller wants $5500 for it.

When buying, do you guys take the trailer for a test drive to see how she tows?
What should I look for on these beasts?
The body shine is peeling. Can I can restore the shine?
Is $5500 a good price?
How do you change tires on these campers?
SnoSheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:40 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Need help in buying Airstream

Greetings SnoSheriff!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoSheriff View Post
I noticed few small dents and some hail dents on the roof. It doesn't seem major.
Hail dents are not uncommon on vintage coaches and unless they particularly bother you, they aren't usually a major concern. Both of my coaches have a few hail dents, but I consider understandable evidence of its 45 years service (Overlander) -- 31 years service (Minuet). Rock dents also are not uncommon on the front of the coach; and as long as the Alcad hasn't been compromised or the skin punctured they are among the evidence of the trailer's service -- again, if they aren't objectionable to you they aren't a huge problem unless you want to do a perfection restoration.

Quote:
There is also a rip in the front underbelly done by a jack or something.

This is something that needs to be repaired (IMHO). The rip provides an opening for various pests to enter the coach and set up housekeeping (mice, bees, wasps, mud-daubers, etc.). Repair could be as simple as applying a patch over the rip with rivets.

Quote:
I also noticed that the tires are weathered and should be replaced.

This is almost a given with an vintage trailer purchase. New tires with steel valve stems have been a standard on my first-purchases list for a newly acquired trailer -- unless the previous owner can provide evidence of the last replacement date being less than three years prior to my purchase.

Quote:
I noticed something that looked like bondo/body filler (putty) in the bottom part of the wheel wells on both sides (this seemed strange).

This could be evidence of repairs necessitated by a blowout -- wheelwell punctured by flying bits of tire. Another possibility would be stone damage repair resulting from travel to Alaska or on other unpaved roadways.

Quote:
There is no awning and no spare tire.

Depending upon your preferences, the lack of an awning isn't necessarily a minus, but many consider it a near "standard" feature on an Airstream and negotiate a reduction in price to reflect this lack. The spare tire on the other hand isn't as severe a problem With a tandem axle coach, it is possible to remove a flat and tow the coach (slowly and carefully) and three wheels to the nearest tire shop. Airstreams utilize a rather common 2,600 pound weight rated trailer wheel that can be purchased quite reasonably from most full-service tire stores.

Quote:
Over all the condition seems very good and cared for. The seller wants $5500 for it.

Given today's economy, it is very difficult to estimate the current value of nearly any RV -- the longer coaches in particular may be discounted by market forces. I must admit, however, that the price does sound within the ballpark provided there isn't any appreciable floor rot in the coach (pay particular attention to the perimeter focusing on areas below windows or storage hatches).

Quote:

This question hasn't come up when I have purchased a coach. When buying from an individual, I suspect that, in most cases, the owner may be reluctant to consider such an arrangement due to insurance risk considerations.

Quote:

The trailer inspection check-list found elsewhere on this site gives you a good starting point for your inspection.

Quote:

What you see peeling is the Plasticoat protective coating that helps to slow the tarnishing of the aluminum. It is possible to strip and polish the coach and obtain a near mirror shine if you are so inclined. If you aren't handy, there are several shops that will polish your coach and apply new Plasticoat if you wish that protection. I had P & S from Helena, OH polish and Plasticaot my coach over six years ago, and I am totally satisfied with the results -- the coach looks as good today as when it left the Ruth's shop in Helena.

Quote:

The easiest method is to carry several 2"x6" boards that can be stacked. On the side of the coach with the flat, pull the coach up onto enough for the boards to raise the flat tire enough to remove the tire and wheel. At that point you have the choice of installing your spare -- or driving slowly and carefully to the next tire repair shop.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoSheriff
Not normally. It would be a liability issue for the owner if something bad happened.
Quote:
Everything, but the high dollar items are most important. The condition of he floor, axles and appliances would be on the top of my list. Be sure to check for rear end separation.

Quote:
That is the clear coat finish that is peeling. You can remove the rest and polish if you want or just let it age naturally.

Quote:
Is $5500 a good price?
It depends on condition (see answer 2)

Quote:
Ramp up the good tire on that side, that will put the flat in the air.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:38 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Canada , Manitoba
I'm a handy guy so it looks very promising based on your replies .

How do I recognize rear end sag?
The undercarriage is all covered so there isn't much to see there. What should I look for?
How do I inspect the axles and brakes?
I must say I don't know what a spongy/rotten floor feels like. Would it be hard to replace defective plywood?

We have a small Boler and we love it. We need more room for the 5 of us.

Is it possible to build bunk beds in these campers? It sure would be nice to have more sleeping room and a better dining area.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
I'm a handy guy so it looks very promising based on your replies .

How do I recognize rear end sag?
The undercarriage is all covered so there isn't much to see there. What should I look for?
How do I inspect the axles and brakes?
I must say I don't know what a spongy/rotten floor feels like. Would it be hard to replace defective plywood?

We have a small Boler and we love it. We need more room for the 5 of us.

Is it possible to build bunk beds in these campers? It sure would be nice to have more sleeping room and a better dining area.
SAG- Stand on the bumper and jump up and down.There should be no separation from the frame and body.

AXLES- The fender well should be even or higher than the top of the wheel rim. Jack up the side of the trailer and the wheel should stay in contact with the ground for a few inches while the body jacks up. The axle torsion arm should be horizontal or point slightly down.

ROT- Walk around inside in a bouncy heavy footed way to see if one area feels spongey. Look especially at the floor around the door, rear, in bathroom closets, under sink, and front of trailer.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Canada , Manitoba
Thanks for all of your help. I went back to inspect the trailer by using your great advice. I took lots of pictures for additional comments. The owner showed us the outstanding appliances and everything seems to work as advertised.

I discovered that the antenna doesn't raise and this is not a big deal to me.
The bumper seems solid.
I couldn't detect any floor rot but I'm no expert on this.
The top of the wheels are bit inside the fender. I'd say about 2 inches.

My main concern at this time is the axles because the top of the wheel is not even with the fender. We really like the camper and I want to know if this is something I should be concerned with and if it could be fixed/replaced few years from now?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0769.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	80006   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0770.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	80007  

Name:	IMG_0774.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	80008   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0775.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	80009  

Name:	IMG_0776.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	80010   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0778.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	80011  

Name:	IMG_0779.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	80012   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0780.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	80013  

Name:	IMG_0781.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	80014   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0793.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	80015  

Old 05-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Canada , Manitoba
more pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0795.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	80016   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0797.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	80017  

Name:	IMG_0799.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	80018   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0790.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	80021  

Name:	IMG_0792.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	80022   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0737.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	80023  

Name:	IMG_0738.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	80024   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0748.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	80025  

Name:	IMG_0750.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	80026   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0752.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	80027  

Old 05-10-2009, 05:17 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Canada , Manitoba
more pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0763.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	80028   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0764.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	80029  

Name:	IMG_0765.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	80030   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0788.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	80031  

Name:	IMG_0789.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	80032  
Old 05-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
I'm no expert but I would say your axles look good. The rule of thumb I've been told is that if you can see 2 inches of tire at the top axles are fine. Anyone else say the same thing?

Cool looking trailer.

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #10
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The height of the wheels / fender looks pretty good to me. It looks like you have a few inches of space between the top of the wheel and the fender. I have about the same on my 75 Trade Wind. You are looking at the wheel, not the tire.

The antenna is not a big deal in my opinion either. It could be as simple as a worn gear. I have raised the antenna once in the last 3 years. That was two weeks ago when I replaced the Air Conditioner and it was in the way.

The trailer looks very nice. The clear coat is going, but that is to be expected.

Hopefully you and the seller can come to terms.

Richard

Old 05-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I agree with flycaster. The position of the wheels look good. But worst case scenario axles are somewhat expensive but not complicated to replace.

What concerns me more is the 2nd photo down in your second group of photos showing the front (or rear) of the wheel well. To me that looks like rot on one of the frame outriggers. That would suggest there is frame rot in other areas of the frame. This outrigger is more exposed to the elements however. Frame work is a much more complicated and time consuming repair. If this is the case I would walk away from the deal. Frames are more prone to rust out if exposed to high humidity, salt air and road salt. See if you can see any more frame members from the back outside compartment or from under the sink. Surface rust is normal but deep flaking and holes are bad news.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:53 PM   #12
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hi, Sno!

Welcome to Airforum.com. That trailer looks pretty darn good, given it's age. Stick around, you'll get answers for any question you have.

Question, what do you plan to tow it with?
Old 05-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Canada , Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
What concerns me more is the 2nd photo down in your second group of photos showing the front (or rear) of the wheel well. To me that looks like rot on one of the frame outriggers. That would suggest there is frame rot in other areas of the frame. This outrigger is more exposed to the elements however. Frame work is a much more complicated and time consuming repair. If this is the case I would walk away from the deal. Frames are more prone to rust out if exposed to high humidity, salt air and road salt. See if you can see any more frame members from the back outside compartment or from under the sink. Surface rust is normal but deep flaking and holes are bad news.
That rust is on the rear wheel well. From the rear of the camper I can only see 2 frame components. One of them is directly under the picture that you mention. The right one is in the 3rd group of pictures on the right, 2nd from the top. Now I'm off to the 'frame forum' for some more education
Old 05-10-2009, 07:21 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Canada , Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Hi, Sno!

Welcome to Airforum.com. That trailer looks pretty darn good, given it's age. Stick around, you'll get answers for any question you have.

Question, what do you plan to tow it with?
Hi. Pulling rig is already waiting for some work. Currently I have an '06 F-350 diesel 4x4. It should go nicely with the Airstream. Here are some pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0724.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	80035   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0722.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	80036  

Old 05-10-2009, 07:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Really, that house is very well kept inside. Looks very clean and has been cared for looking!
Old 05-10-2009, 08:04 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
That rust is on the rear wheel well. From the rear of the camper I can only see 2 frame components. One of them is directly under the picture that you mention. The right one is in the 3rd group of pictures on the right, 2nd from the top. Now I'm off to the 'frame forum' for some more education
Maybe someone else will jump in and confirm or disagree with my above rust concern.

The photo below the rusty photo shows normal surface rust.

The other frame pics look OK, but the outriggers rust out first. Unfortunely for the most part they are hidden above the belly pan. Maybe you could get a peek at one or two from that hole in the belly pan.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:00 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Canada , Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Maybe someone else will jump in and confirm or disagree with my above rust concern.

The photo below the rusty photo shows normal surface rust.

The other frame pics look OK, but the outriggers rust out first. Unfortunely for the most part they are hidden above the belly pan. Maybe you could get a peek at one or two from that hole in the belly pan.
Oh, it's definitely rust and you'll notice the bondo (automotive body filler) in the very same picture. I'm not sure why anyone would put that there.

The camper does seems to be taken care off... It's on the second owner who owns it for the last 19yrs. My gut feeling is telling me to buy it.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:28 PM   #18
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Hi. Pulling rig is already waiting for some work. Currently I have an '06 F-350 diesel 4x4. It should go nicely with the Airstream. Here are some pictures
Whoa, that's more than enough. You could pull two Sovereigns with that baby!
Old 05-11-2009, 05:33 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
SnoSheriff,
From all the pictures the coach looks pretty straight. The rusted outrigger could probably be patched / replaced. it doest not look like the structural integrity has been compromised, but it is something to get fixed so you do not introduce anymore moisture and road debris into the belly. The belly pan looks OK too...excpect for the one picture where there is a tear. Do you know the history on that tear? was it torn from outside or corroded from a water leak from above?

Check out the Trailer Inspection Checklist and that may help you in your quest.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:00 AM   #20
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The rust in the wheel well area looks like it was caused by exposure to road salt and the elements. I think that is sealant (Vulkem) along the bottom edge to keep water from being thrown into the pan area from the tires. My TW is sealed that way as well from the PO.

Richard