Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2017, 07:15 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Need Advice on a Used Airstream Purchase

We are considering purchasing a used 2003 Airstream Classic for $35,000 from Ladysmith, WI. The seller is firm on the price. The ad is listed currently in the Airstream classifieds. Does this seem like a fair price?

Thank you!!
Pride&Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:02 AM   #2
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Looks to be a great condition based on the pictures. Ad says they had it serviced at JC. Do they have any records of repairs/service they could share?

How are the tires, batteries, etc? Does anything come with it like a WD hitch?

These are things to considered but may or may not be important to you. IMHO it seems to be a premium price but if it is what you want and it checks out to be a good unit I'd get it. I looked for almost two years before I found a used AS that fit our needs and budget.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:18 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Seems a bit strong on price but they all do right now.

A few months ago we had a deal on a 2000 28 Classic twin. $30K. It was ok but certainly not in the stated condition. Supposedly it had just been completely resealed at JC and the photos presented a very nice trailer. I brought a ladder and checked the roof and it was horrible. Everything needed to be stripped and recaulked and the skylights were missing with flat pieces of plexiglass caulked into place to fill the holes. The rest of it showed very well, as did the photos. There was new flooring but I was able to find rotten flooring by checking in the couch arm rest areas where you could actually reach the old floor.

Admittedly I made the deal at $30K after doing my inspection so I can only blame myself in that respect. My wife was pushing hard to make a deal on it not because she wanted it (she prefers a white box with a slide) but she knew how much I wanted a 25-28 with twins.

Long story a bit shorter, I backed out after a days contemplation. And the rig sold within a day of so after that. I knew it would but I'm still glad I didn't get stuck with that project.

With all of that as a basis for my opinion, along with a few other 28s I've considered, I'd say the rig you are considering is worth taking a good close look at and if it's in the stated condition it's not out of line. Pricey but not outlandish. Heck there was a guy out in TX with a hail damaged rig asking more than that and I think it eventually sold.
brokeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:29 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Mesa , Arizona
Consider it if in good shape

We bought a 1998 Excella about 9 months ago. We found it on this site in classifieds after searching for months.

We paid $32,000. Completely happy with that price and what we got. It was well taken care of and everything in perfect condition.

So my answer is - if it is worth it to you and in good shape - then it is a good choice. Comparatively - the newer ones are substantially more.
REET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
I'm with the previous posts, top of market but looks to be a nice trailer. Based on following this forum, check the rear subfloor.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:12 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks for all the support and insight. We have contacted a potential inspector so hopefully we will get a firsthand expert opinion. We are going to see the trailer on Saturday so viewing it in person will tell a lot! Our fingers are crossed!
Old 07-03-2017, 11:21 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1727Center View Post
We are going to see the trailer on Saturday so viewing it in person will tell a lot!
Bring a ladder and take a look at the roof if you can. Good luck.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:09 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Western Springs , Illinois
Quote:
We are considering purchasing a used 2003 Airstream Classic for $35,000 from Ladysmith, WI. The seller is firm on the price. The ad is listed currently in the Airstream classifieds. Does this seem like a fair price?

Thank you!!
You should ask yourself that question, not us. Your the only one who can determine a "fair " price.
Honestly if it was me I would be running with check in hand before someone else does.
wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:57 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
Your the only one who can determine a "fair " price. Honestly if it was me I would be running with check in hand before someone else does.
Well said again, Wavelength. A trailer in good to excellent condition is not likely to be listed or sold at a bargain price. The OP may spend a lot of time looking for that needle in the haystack...and miss out on one (or more) great buys in the meantime. Someone else will snap it up without blinking.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:53 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Salado , Texas
I would recommend the seller either provide a repair warranty for some limited period of time or you agree with the seller that the trailer will be inspected by JC, where it has been maintained. If the seller refuses to do either, then keep looking. I bought a used Eddie Bauer and the seller bought a six-month warranty, for which I split the cost.
Loden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:34 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Used Airstream Purchase

After committing to making an 9 hour road trip one way on good faith to see an Airstream in WI the seller just called and sold the trailer to someone else.
We let him know that we felt he should have given us the first opportunity to purchase the trailer, perhaps this is a sign of his questionable integrity so we are moving on and will continue our search! Thanks again for all of the
wonderful input!
Old 07-04-2017, 09:52 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
You might have added that you would purchase the trailer if his discription was accurate and no gremlins were found, then I think he should maybe have held it for you. But you only committed to seeing it if I read you right.
Looking from his prospective he had a buyer standing in front of him or a firm commitment to buy otherwise.
I lost our first opportunity on a trailer in a very similar scenario.
The one I did end up buying had another potential buyer show up to see it as were were counting out $100 bills, timing is everything.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:58 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Quote:
the seller just called and sold the trailer to someone else.
We let him know that we felt he should have given us the first opportunity to purchase the trailer,
Get used to it. Unfortunately it appears to be fairly common with Airstream sellers.

We had a full price as is deal on one in Atlanta. I told the seller I could be there in a couple of hours. All was fine but the seller couldn't complete the deal for a coupe of days as the wife had to be there to sign. That was fine by me. He picked a convenient time. We made closing arrangements and waited our chosen day. Next day I get an email (coward) from the seller, he closed a deal with someone else.

A few weeks prior I had an appointment to see one an hour and a half from home. I called when I was leaving and said I'd call just before I got there (I always do that). I was five minutes from their house and called, only to be informed they sold the rig to someone from Michigan (15 hours by car mind you). I asked, since we had come this far, if we could still take a look as, you know, you never now. No, that just wasn't possible, the rig was sold. I was steaming mad for about 15 minutes then got a grip and let it go. I wasn't home 10 minutes and the lady called to inform me that the people in Michigan apparently didn't really have any money so I could come take a look after-all. To my credit I was at least polite to her.

I was in the sales business and we used to have a saying around the office, "buyers are liars and sellers are worse." It can be a rough and tumble market out there so keep your chin up.