Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2019, 02:08 PM   #21

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWind View Post
Equalizer hitch for sure. The best system IMHO. Make sure that you have a person who is expert with the Equalizer brand install and set it up for you. AS dealers quite often have someone who is guessing do the work. I've been through this twice. You might want to view the Equalizer company's YouTube instructions before you witness the installation.

Second best only to ProPride, but definitely the best bang for the buck!
sheriff1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 06:16 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
I know I'm seeing many votes for the EQ but still leaning toward BX for the following reasons.

Reference:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-100748-2.html

FWIW the dealer is pushing the EQ 1000. Pretty sure I'm going to need either the EQ 1400 or the BX 1500 since I'll need to factor in cargo weight as well. I'd rather have some margin with the towing equipment rather than be right at max spec (ie. 1k tongue weight)

Quote:
I chose the Blue Ox 1500. Here's why:

1) Weight. Equal-i-zer 10K hitch, shank, bars, brackets, and pins weigh 96.8 lbs. A 12K or 14K setup would likely weigh more, although I've never weighed them. The Blue Ox 1500 components weigh 79.0 lbs. That’s at least 17.8 lbs less tongue weight.

2) Technology. The Equal-i-zer sway controls utilize a proven (although older) friction technology at the hitch head and L brackets to prevent sway. Blue Ox uses engineered bars that are designed to flex. Sway is "restrained" at the head and brackets. The system is always working. In a sway event, the system is designed to "steer" the trailer back to the TV centerline.

3) Maintenance. The EQ hitch requires frequent cleaning and re-greasing of the socket/head mating surfaces. These areas are a magnet for road grime. Annual painting of the friction surfaces on the bars/brackets kept the rust controlled. The BX requires occasional grease at two zerk fittings on the bar sockets. Easier. Cleaner.

4) Adjustments: Getting the weight distribution right with the EQ will require removing the head from the shank and adding/removing washers to set the head angle and downward force of the bars. L-brackets may need to be adjusted, too. Force on the BX bars is achieved by adjusting the number of links captured by the rotating brackets on the trailer frame and can be easily adjusted on the fly if load or conditions change.

5) Setup: Hitching/unhitching with the EQ is fairly easy, but there are more small parts to deal with (L-pins, clips, socket pins, etc.) The BX setup requires no pins or clips. Hitching is easier, cleaner, and, because of the reduced weight, more "back-friendly."

6) Ride: Experience of others indicate towing with the BX results in a smoother ride because of the designed-in flex of the bars. The TV to TT connection is not as rigid, and the result is a "dampening" of rough road conditions with no loss of weight distribution. I'm anxious to see if this is my experience, too.
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:58 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
I know there's plenty of love for the EQ but I'm still leaning toward the BX. Will likely look for the 1500lb version.

Reference:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-100748-2.html

Reasoning:
Quote:
I chose the Blue Ox 1500. Here's why:

1) Weight. Equal-i-zer 10K hitch, shank, bars, brackets, and pins weigh 96.8 lbs. A 12K or 14K setup would likely weigh more, although I've never weighed them. The Blue Ox 1500 components weigh 79.0 lbs. That’s at least 17.8 lbs less tongue weight.

2) Technology. The Equal-i-zer sway controls utilize a proven (although older) friction technology at the hitch head and L brackets to prevent sway. Blue Ox uses engineered bars that are designed to flex. Sway is "restrained" at the head and brackets. The system is always working. In a sway event, the system is designed to "steer" the trailer back to the TV centerline.

3) Maintenance. The EQ hitch requires frequent cleaning and re-greasing of the socket/head mating surfaces. These areas are a magnet for road grime. Annual painting of the friction surfaces on the bars/brackets kept the rust controlled. The BX requires occasional grease at two zerk fittings on the bar sockets. Easier. Cleaner.

4) Adjustments: Getting the weight distribution right with the EQ will require removing the head from the shank and adding/removing washers to set the head angle and downward force of the bars. L-brackets may need to be adjusted, too. Force on the BX bars is achieved by adjusting the number of links captured by the rotating brackets on the trailer frame and can be easily adjusted on the fly if load or conditions change.

5) Setup: Hitching/unhitching with the EQ is fairly easy, but there are more small parts to deal with (L-pins, clips, socket pins, etc.) The BX setup requires no pins or clips. Hitching is easier, cleaner, and, because of the reduced weight, more "back-friendly."

6) Ride: Experience of others indicate towing with the BX results in a smoother ride because of the designed-in flex of the bars. The TV to TT connection is not as rigid, and the result is a "dampening" of rough road conditions with no loss of weight distribution. I'm anxious to see if this is my experience, too.
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:28 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Well, let me chime in again...4 AS's now, and I believe Blue Ox works very well (as do others here!)...last 3 AS's; no issues with towing, noise, or backing up! My Rees dual cam on first AS worked ok, but was noisy. The Equalizer I had on my second AS seemed ok, but made creaking squealing noise when backing or turning tight...it finally had a bar twist when turning while backing up. That was why I got my first Blue Ox; it was all the local dealer had, and we were traveling. He took the time to show me why they offered this hitch and how to properly set up the tension bars, and load/unload using the power jack in front. No issues, no sway ever, and great ride...there are about 4 brands you will read most of us using here on the Forum...they all have their followers...good luck!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 05:00 AM   #25
28 FC

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Arlington , Virginia
We bought the same model in October. Check everything before leaving the dealership. We were missing a GFCI breaker...still in the shop awaiting parts. Also stove top needs replacing. Love the model though.Good price. Enjoy!
wwade82 is offline   Reply With Quote