Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2020, 11:38 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Low price quote from dealer on 2020 Caraval

According to rvtrader.com and rvt.com I'm getting an incredible offer on what appears to be a gently used 2020 Caraval 20FB... from a dealer.

I'm an absolute first-timer FWIW.

Should I be concerned? What should I be asking/doing?
testingfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:43 PM   #2
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
Price? Kind of hard to say with the most important part is missing.
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:14 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by testingfire View Post
According to rvtrader.com and rvt.com I'm getting an incredible offer on what appears to be a gently used 2020 Caraval 20FB... from a dealer.

Have you physically seen this trailer in person? Or is it an online ad placed by a "dealer"? Many online ads claim to be placed by a dealer, to make you feel more secure--until they get a few thousand dollar deposit to hold the trailer (car, computer) to hold it until they can ship it to you. Then you never see or hear from them, or your money, again.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
What Overlander63 said. Check out the "dealer" on google and/or on this forum. I saw a 27 EB twin for sale... the dealer's name wasn't quite right and address was also "off". I called the real dealer, who was already aware and had the feds involved.
These guys don't hang.around long, get a dozen checks, then a new mailing address - often used without the actual property owner's knowledge or permission... deposits are skimmed out while a homeowner is at work. The owner gets reamed by the law when they show up weeks later... so back up your security camera footage for years!
Old 10-30-2020, 07:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
If it isn't a scam (without knowing the actual price, it's hard for us to give an opinion), I will say that from what I've seen, dealer prices are sometimes better than for sale by owner, especially on newer units. I think individuals get emotionally attached, want to recoup cost, and want to maximize their sale for the upgrade they are usually making, and dealers are just moving inventory.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:20 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2020 20' Caravel
Richmond , Virginia
If you would tell the quoted price I could compare to my price paid in February new...2020 Caravel 20FB
cldamonhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
It was actually one of these scammy adds that motivated us to buy an airstream. I thought I could get a fantastic deal on a used airstream which made my wife and I very excited to have one. I quickly realized that most of the adds were very similar, and highly discounted. A good suggestion, look closely at the images and become very familiar with the product. I noticed some of the photos didn't match the model. I was looking at a 25 FB and noticed one of the photos was a pantry from a 27. When you find an AS you would like to purchase. Never send a deposit!!! A serious seller will hold it for you, once you are headed his way. FACETIME... ask the seller to Facetime with you prior to driving hundreds of miles. Get them to show you the AS via Facetime.
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:04 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
I'd recommend doing a quick search to find out more about the dealer. If they seem reputable and you're able to see the trailer in person you'll likely be just fine. I wouldn't send any money if you didn't feel completely comfortable though. Sometimes dealers offer trailers at lower prices because they got the trailer for a low price from the previous owner. Since the trailer is a 2020 it should still have some of its original warranty remaining, which should give you some peace of mind if you move forward with the deal.
McStreamy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:22 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

St George , UT
One thought...

Quote:

Please do at least the obvious. Put a small refundable deposit down. Run a check for accidents etc. find another RV mechanic and pay them to do a complete check. Then, if all is Weill, buy it and sell it to me for a small profit.
Aard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:41 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Bait and switch

Or, if it's a real dealer but not totally an honest one, they could be trying to get you into the dealership. When you get there, that unit will be "suddenly sold," but they have others to show you. And then comes the heavy handed sales pitch.
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:43 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2022 30' Globetrotter
Powderly , TX
Quote:

How much under MSRP is your price? It's not unusual for sale price to be 15-20% under MSRP.
Bret Holbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:02 PM   #12

2020 20' Caravel
Van Nuys , California
I would love to know how much... I purchased my 20fb back in March.
luv2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Good point guys! The dealer sold us our 25FB $15k under MSRP. We were originally seeing 5 yr old 16' & 20' for somewhere in the teens. ...those are the shady adds I was referring.
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 02:33 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I may need a new hobby. I drive past an SOB dealer and see silver and rivets, I will pull in and check it out. Mostly they are way too big and too old for more than a glance,, but twice I have seen "too good to be true" prices on newer little guys, but something about the appearance isn't right. Wait. that kitchen wall isn't curved enough and the cushions are brand new.. Outside and Bingo, Olympic rivets over the whole side.

And then I open my mouth and it becomes apparent that I may have been born at night, but not LAST NIGHT.
This has been in a rollover accident hasn't it? (Free dealer financing.) And when I do get the title it will say "salvage" won't it?
The sales person won't even pretend to be embarassed. Five minutes after I leave an eager total newbie with cash will walk in...