Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-15-2020, 01:00 AM   #1
New Member
 
Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 4
Question Looking for a value, please - '95 Excella 28'

I am dipping my toe in the Airstream waters and buying my very first one (of many I suspect)! I have been looking and researching for the last 8 months and have finally found one that checks almost all the boxes. I am looking at a 28ft '95 Excella that has had almost everything redone and if not, inspected and serviced. I talked to the seller for over an hour today. He is a seasoned veteran in the Airstream world and has owned MANY Airstream over the majority of his life. This is his personal trailer. The NADA numbers are all over the place: Sugg List Price: $37,620, Low Retail: $11,350, Avg Retail: $13,650. I understand there are so many caveats to figuring the value and am not fully understanding how the NADA pricing works. I've looked at the few comparables that I could find out there and they too are all over the place (partially, I believe, because of geography?). I've spent hours to see if the $27,900 that he's asking is reasonable. I think it is and would love some reassurance. Here is the link to the CL listing if anyone can take a look and tell me what you know?
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/rvs/7121275560.html

Here is the NADA link too for shits n giggles:
https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/1995/...4000854/Values

Thanks friends!

fire cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 11:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
kidjedi's Avatar
 
1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 903
Someone please chime in and correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like that trailer has been "making the rounds." Maybe it just looks like another one with that carpet and that fake fireplace? The thing about the "value" of a "restored" Airstream is that it's 100% contingent upon the quality of the work. The NADA value is based on a stock trailer with original components and can't possibly factor in upgrades and restoration. There are a lot of really bad "restorations" out there from people who've thought "I can do this!" only to find out it's trickier than they think to really do it right.



Big time warning signs for me would be carpet, plug in fake fireplace (with the bare cord running up the wall to a 110 outlet), toilet in the middle of the hallway (?!), etc.


If you can check other projects from the person who did the work, that would be extremely helpful. I would also ask: if the restoration was done specifically for the seller, why didn't they ever use it?


Not trying to step on anyone's toes, but hopefully the information helps others make informed decisions on a MAJOR purchase and commitment.
__________________
25' 1972 Airstream Trade Wind Land Yacht (heavily customized)
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel)
BeahmStream.com
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 04:01 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
 
brokeboater's Avatar
 
2003 25' Safari
High Springs , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
toilet in the middle of the hallway (?!), etc.
I think that's standard on a 28.
__________________
“While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.”
brokeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 04:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
kidjedi's Avatar
 
1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeboater View Post
I think that's standard on a 28.
With no door and not even a curtain? No thanks!
__________________
25' 1972 Airstream Trade Wind Land Yacht (heavily customized)
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel)
BeahmStream.com
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 05:05 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
 
mkcurtiss's Avatar
 
1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 371
Images: 4
Here is the deal on pricing...It's like an old car....it is ACTUALLY worth what you can get for it, so when someone sets a price on one of these things, it is still somewhat arbitrary.....however-

It does have nice skin, looks like good axles, a decent but not at all high end re-do inside.....30 grand is 30 grand......

Knowing what I know now, this is what I wold do:

1) Gotta peek at the frame and make sure it is not rusted out. Can be done with a plumbers camera inserted into a small opening in the belly pan, in a couple different places...

2)I want the fresh water tank filled, and I am going to spend an hour actually USING the airstream, running the shower, testing the hot water heater and pump system, and checking for leaks, and other water problems

3)Connect to a 30amp source and run the a/c, for an hour or more, in the heat

4)at the same time I am inspecting the fridge and freezer, I am gonna flush the toilet a dozen times, and look for leaks, and run lots of water into the gray tank also, and look for leaks, check that the dump valves on gray and black tanks actually function

5)Tow it on an open road at 70 mph, and confirm that the brakes and lighting work, and that it does not tend to sway or get crazy while towing....have someone follow you and watch closely if anything looks shake, dangling, etc......

6)Fire up and use the oven, cooktop for a few mins....and micro.....

7)Spray water on it and see how many leaks there are.....

If he gets his feeling hurt because you are being so thorough, so sorry.....
If he refuses to let you do a thorough inspection, bu-bye.....

30 grand is 30 grand.....

However- If everything checks out, and it is all in working order, I would absolutely not hesitate to give 30grand for it.
__________________
1968 Overlander Land Yacht International
Ford E-350 W V-10 booom!
2018 Chevy Tahoe smooooooth
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 05:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,659
Blog Entries: 13
I think 30 grand is a mite steep. In January, I picked up a 2008 27’ Safari SE in pristine condition for $34k. I looked at a 2005 that was a little less but not in as good shape.

I would keep looking.
__________________
Sorta new (usually dirty) Nissan Titan XD (hardly paid for)
Middle-aged Safari SE
Young, lovely bride
Dismissive cat
n2916s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 06:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
CBWELL's Avatar
 
1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 852
I would be concerned that there are no tables to eat at in this trailer. The front couch with tables have been removed, and there is a lot of open wasted space on the road side where the fake fireplace sits. I believe that there was a dinette there. Seating at the front doesn't look to be comfortable at all!! The bed does not look even close to original. Not a trailer that I would invest in!!
__________________
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1976 31' Gone but fondly remembered
1976 22' Argosy
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 07:24 PM   #8
New Member
 
Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
Someone please chime in and correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like that trailer has been "making the rounds." Maybe it just looks like another one with that carpet and that fake fireplace? The thing about the "value" of a "restored" Airstream is that it's 100% contingent upon the quality of the work. The NADA value is based on a stock trailer with original components and can't possibly factor in upgrades and restoration. There are a lot of really bad "restorations" out there from people who've thought "I can do this!" only to find out it's trickier than they think to really do it right.



Big time warning signs for me would be carpet, plug in fake fireplace (with the bare cord running up the wall to a 110 outlet), toilet in the middle of the hallway (?!), etc.


If you can check other projects from the person who did the work, that would be extremely helpful. I would also ask: if the restoration was done specifically for the seller, why didn't they ever use it?


Not trying to step on anyone's toes, but hopefully the information helps others make informed decisions on a MAJOR purchase and commitment.
According to the owner, for whatever that is worth, an elderly couple had it and used it for a number of years and then it sat in storage for 10 years and then they passed away. Someone in their family got it and nothing worked so he passed it on to the current owner who has a history in owning and fixing Airstreams (he said he has had up to 30-40 in a year, even has a few show pieces). From what I can tell he has extensive knowledge of them (confirmed only by what I have read/studied over the last 8 months). I do believe that and that he's versed in 'doing it right'.

Definitely not a fan of the carpet - easy fix, that will be the first thing to go, he said the fireplace is more efficient and effective than running the heater (weird to me too), and the toilet isn't in the middle of the hallway it's just a funky camera angle and the mirrored closet doesn't help either. I requested additional pictures to confirm the layout of the bathroom. The toilet and sink are on the left and the shower to the right.

That's a great idea to see some of his other projects, I will ask about that! He had 4 on his property that he sold and now only has the space for 1. His FIL was going to take it but is heading to surgery and will likely be in a wheelchair. He has 11 kids and opted for the 34 footer and a bunch of tents (he used to camp with multiple trailers). Thank you so much for your input, I appreciate it!
fire cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 07:39 PM   #9
New Member
 
Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcurtiss View Post
Here is the deal on pricing...It's like an old car....it is ACTUALLY worth what you can get for it, so when someone sets a price on one of these things, it is still somewhat arbitrary.....however-

It does have nice skin, looks like good axles, a decent but not at all high end re-do inside.....30 grand is 30 grand......

Knowing what I know now, this is what I wold do:

1) Gotta peek at the frame and make sure it is not rusted out. Can be done with a plumbers camera inserted into a small opening in the belly pan, in a couple different places...

2)I want the fresh water tank filled, and I am going to spend an hour actually USING the airstream, running the shower, testing the hot water heater and pump system, and checking for leaks, and other water problems

3)Connect to a 30amp source and run the a/c, for an hour or more, in the heat

4)at the same time I am inspecting the fridge and freezer, I am gonna flush the toilet a dozen times, and look for leaks, and run lots of water into the gray tank also, and look for leaks, check that the dump valves on gray and black tanks actually function

5)Tow it on an open road at 70 mph, and confirm that the brakes and lighting work, and that it does not tend to sway or get crazy while towing....have someone follow you and watch closely if anything looks shake, dangling, etc......

6)Fire up and use the oven, cooktop for a few mins....and micro.....

7)Spray water on it and see how many leaks there are.....

If he gets his feeling hurt because you are being so thorough, so sorry.....
If he refuses to let you do a thorough inspection, bu-bye.....

30 grand is 30 grand.....

However- If everything checks out, and it is all in working order, I would absolutely not hesitate to give 30grand for it.
THANK YOU! This helps tremendously and elevates the search I was intending. I found the inspection checklist in the portal which really helped as well. I'll add a plumbers camera to my inspection kit! Thanks a ton!!!
fire cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 07:44 PM   #10
New Member
 
Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBWELL View Post
I would be concerned that there are no tables to eat at in this trailer. The front couch with tables have been removed, and there is a lot of open wasted space on the road side where the fake fireplace sits. I believe that there was a dinette there. Seating at the front doesn't look to be comfortable at all!! The bed does not look even close to original. Not a trailer that I would invest in!!
All of those reason's are why I love this one! There used to be a microwave cabinet where the fake fireplace is now. I intend to build a couch for that space and tweaking the 'bed'. I will put a base in the floor for the table top. Thanks for your input!
fire cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
rideair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,487
No way worth $27,900.00 IMHO.

If you look at the photo's, you can see where the front-thing is nothing more than a plywood platform with 2x4's that was not even completely painted under the sides, no bottom cushions, etc.. the rear bed appears to be the same.

To give is a more modern look, they used a dark stain to re-stain the original Oak wood in the trailer, then changed out the handles, then used that same stain to paint the front and rear platforms. It's a quick, cheap way to update the look (I did the same thing for a rental unit I own that had old "dated" oak cabinets)

If the trailer sat for 10 years, unless they been recently replaced, it's going to need new axles ($1,200-$1,700 each)

Low Retail IMHO.
__________________
Paul Waddell
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
value needed please ebay GT. SCbarber 1965 - 1969 Globetrotter 11 11-11-2016 08:25 PM
Newbie needs help on 1974 Sovereign value, please Tootuffy Buyer Guidelines 3 07-16-2012 06:05 AM
Help with value please godecals Trailer Values 3 07-29-2010 09:12 AM
Value of 1973 Tradewind Land Yacht please? Ganaraska Trailer Values 7 03-08-2009 07:41 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.