Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2016, 06:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Morrisville , Pennsylvania
Looking at buying a 1983 Airstream 310 for $4500 Good deal?

Hey guys, new to this forum. I'm looking at buying a 1983 Airstream 310 that has a turbo diesel Isuzu inline 6 motor. It only has 60000 miles and is in overall decent shape. Some dents here and there and the interior is original however in decent shape still. It's a friend of mine who is selling it and he is looking to get $4,500 Does this seems like a decent price for a unit like this? Any input at all is greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!
Kzguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:25 PM   #2
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Is it running, driving, been used recently?
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
The Isuzu turbo is considered the ultimate MH engine by most on this forum. If you are lucky enough to find one in good shape you have struck gold!
Gregsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:01 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

It is running and he takes it around the block once in while. Hasnt been on the road for a trip in 10 years. Is there anything in particular i should be looking for when i check it out?
Old 02-29-2016, 04:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Yes, thats an extremely good deal if it runs and drives. The coach will need work, they all do at that age. But at that price, with the Isuzu turbo, youre stealing it.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:33 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I agree- it's a great deal. You'll need to check the tires. Manufacture date and overall condition. Also the brakes.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:08 PM   #7
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
The price is a bit on the high side in my opinion, so if it were me I'd come back at him with say $3,500.00 as you're going to have to replace all seven tires, outside panels to get rid of dents, exterior strip, polish, new vinyl, reseal exterior, gut interior, new subfloor, new vinyl for the MacTac walnut walls, cabinets, new flooring, Maxxair fans, plumbing, electrical redo including dash gauges, new main fuse block, LED lights, new coach and automotive batteries, new generator ($8,000.00 including install), new brake calipers, pads, suspension ball joints (see Mayco for info on this), Henderson steering bell cranks, air ride system including new compressor and airbags, front air bags, new shocks front and back, new rad hoses with possibly new recore of rad, water pump, new transmission fluid and filter (hopefully just that), new fuel filters including water separator, and last but definitly not least, new metric!!! not Gates set of engine belts..........I'm sure I missed a couple of things.

YES! 15.5 Liter oil change (make sure you put oil filter in correctly as you will blow your turbo, if not your engine). Also fill oil filter housing BEFORE attaching it back on so the oil pressure builds up much faster. Also change the rear axle fluid, wiper blades, reinforce hitch, HID headlamp conversion, rear LED lamp conversion, air horns, as yours probably won't work, new rubber mouldings and fuzzy Schelgle for windows, weep hole covers, toilet or at least new toilet seal.........

We're holding an Airstream Classic motorhome rally this May at Pennwood Airstream Park, see last couple of pages in the Classic get together thread, not Colorado trip.....You have 2 1/2 months, plenty of time to get her together, chop chop, no time to waste.

Just to save you a bit of time; don't worry about the door chime, nobody uses it.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
And dont give ISUZUSWEET any details on the seller cause he will snatch it right out from under you
Old 02-29-2016, 01:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Though what he says about repairs is essentially the MO on these rigs
Old 02-29-2016, 02:19 PM   #10
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
And dont give ISUZUSWEET any details on the seller cause he will snatch it right out from under you
I have enough headaches with mine; but at least mine was used fairly frequently and as you know these queens do need a good run every once in a while. This one, the OP states hasn't been really run in over 10 years. As you well know Mike, just the generator should be started and run under half load at least once a month. The coach window and door exterior seals are probably shot which means THIS.......see page 1 and 2.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...me-106269.html

To the OP; I don't sugar coat things, as Mike has stated the deal to most people is a great deal but we moho owners have a saying, that your purchase price is only the downpayment. In your case the purchase price is freaking subprime.

Would I buy it if I were you?.....That will depend on how handy you are and how much work you can do yourself, as paying someone to do what I have done to mine would have cost me tens of thousands of dollars.

We are all here to help you as much as possible.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 02-29-2016, 02:24 PM   #11
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
What I can say beyond a shadow of doubt.....you won't lose money on the deal, even if you have to sink $25,000.00 into her.

A lot better investment than RRSP's or 401 K's these days; as you get to drive it around and see the country.

Cheers
Tony

Old 02-29-2016, 02:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
That does sound like a good buy in price.

As you can see above the ownership experence is a bit of a roller coaster ride.
It's great when they are running and taking us on adventures.
Not so much when trying to sort out their needs.

Most of us that are active with these old classics are a bit DIY inclined and its a good thing, they are complex and needing more each day.

That the unit you are considering belongs to a friend hopefully means you can check it out thoughly. The RV appliances are costly to replace. Leaks can cause floor rot that is a bear to repair. Etc

Let us know what a good inspection brings to light.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:36 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

So i checked her out yesterday. She basically needs most everything that IsuzuSweet listed. The engine and generator start/run great. But its been sitting and will need a great deal of tlc to get on the road. He is firm at 4500 and im am up in the air about buying it. Are any of you guys interested in it? If so, pm me. Its in the Philadelphia pa area. Has little to no rust underneath.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:12 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
My advice is to pay your friend what he asks & hope he remains your friend for many years, as you will ask him many questions. He may help you restore the motorcoach. Don't worry about whether it is $4500 or 3500. Your friend has kept the sys operating & that is easy worth $15,000 compared to locked up or missing engine, bad tranny, or seized genset.
Don't forget to ask about spare parts or removed items. Offer to pay something for those & any special tools your friend got to work on the AS.
You will enjoy this.
I have a MC I bought new in 1997 & it is still new today. I maintain it like a spacecraft.
You can do this.
Let's Roll !
Wolf
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote