Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2007, 07:53 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Sorry I put it up for sale now. Don't like to dissapoint people.I bought my Airstream sight unseen. It's not the mony....I see now I WILL not be able able to duplicate it! Tom
Old 02-25-2007, 06:15 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Talking Airstream Values

Just took it off the storage lot. Near riot for it. Must have been underpriced @ $6700. Think one guy wanted it to resell it. Took pictures of it probably to place it on the internet.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:43 PM   #23

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Cheyenne , Wyoming
The problem with Airstreams, muscle car (MOPAR) and other classic is that fact that people with disposable income (near retiring Boomers) are using them as 401k plans.
What about the working man?>
lefteyedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:52 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
1977 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Richland , Missouri
Airstream Purchase--For the Working Man

Unfortunately, they are not getting any cheaper, although bargains can be found...

My thought is to buy what you can afford when you can afford it. Given the current situation, buying an Airstream is an investment for the future, plus great fun and fellowship in owning a very unique Airstream!

Good luck in your quest!

dale
w5wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:57 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pickens , South Carolina
you wouldnt get mine for that....i paid 5500 and now have about 200 hrs...all original except new gas and/or elec water heater, pergo, and cleaning started on polishing.....nope 10-15 wouldn't get it!

-"just because the monkeys off your back, doesn't mean the circus left town!"

www.pickenscountycampers.com
camperski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:09 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
What a Deal

Wow did I get off light. A couple of years ago my Vet just wanted to get rid of the one I bought--$1500. It needed new tires and supply side plumbing and (I did not know at the time)...a new furnace. Other than a couple of running lights and repairing the tambour, I have just been updating it. The ussual birds nest in the vent and so forth needed to be taken care of. the front gaucho had UV light fade so the two gauchos got replaced. The one 20 amp circuit is now two 20 amp separate circuits with the charger and one outlet isolated.

Restoration people would probably cringe but I changed the charger put in a new furnace and am changing the lights to flourescent and am installing a new stereo and so forth. I will eventually put in one of the marine furnace-fireplace from Dickenson. Changing into a dual battery made me feel better about how many hours of power I have. I will install another circuit when I put the new water heater in.

Looking at the prices now, I feel very fortunate to have stumbled into such a deal. My Vet is happy too, he now has a place to put other things---the 34 ft. Damon will not fit under the roof where the AS was. I never realized these things could actually go up in value???? I just wanted a good camper.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:17 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
If it means anything to you. We bought our 71 Overlander last July. Needs tires/hot water heater/ac repair or replace/all window seals. Drapes/upholstery and sofa bed redone in 1995-ish by A/S - black water tank replaced with aluminum frame. All original but really needed(s) tlc and a good scrubbing. Paid $5,700.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:56 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Sounds like you lucked out S. Camel. At $1500 you can put mucho in it and not reach its' current value. Mine had extensive work: couches, carpet and tambourr doors, tires and hitch. I needed something that I could move immediately. Lots of other coaches but many miles away. This one was on my route. Probably paid too much for it 5 years ago but it was either that or a hotel that Winter. Half the fun in owning it is restoring it and pride in owning it. It turns out to be a love hate relationship.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:59 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by niftypkg
Sounds like you lucked out S. Camel. At $1500 you can put mucho in it and not reach its' current value. Mine had extensive work: couches, carpet and tambourr doors, tires and hitch. I needed something that I could move immediately. Lots of other coaches but many miles away. This one was on my route. Probably paid too much for it 5 years ago but it was either that or a hotel that Winter. Half the fun in owning it is restoring it and pride in owning it. It turns out to be a love hate relationship.
You used the trailer a long time; you got 5 years of use out of it you probably retrieved any value loss and then some...what would it cost to rent a nice AS in that shape? I think you may have done much better than you seem to think on the deal when time factors and use is thrown in, even weighed against upgrades/repairs etc.

Including the tires, furnace, water heater, new lights, new upolstry, vents and yet undiscovered things--plumbing fittings!, some additional electric etc., Oh yeah, I will have a few thousand into it, but it is a fun hobby. I would like to take it on the road for a couple of years when I retire, that's a ways off yet, but it is sort of a purpose for the hobby. Sort of go to Las Vegas from Wisconsin, by way of North Carolina. I suppose by then I will need nex axles (add a couple more$$$$!). Even if I change my mind for some reason, I would still get my $ back, but I would not have the use time you had.

I know what you mean about that L/H realtionship with the AS. Just one or tow nice clear quiet nights (and not having to put up a tent), or the nice sound of rain on the roof (and I don't have to put up a tent), or when when the temperature takes a nose dive (and I don't have to put up a tent); any of those times are worth some solid $ but it would be tough to scale the value.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:28 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
You are right Camel. That is why I just spent this day under the trailer rust proofing it.( After it was sandblasted) Axle carrier was rusted badly and I wanted the AS to survive. Next reason: New ones are $55M. I kind of like 'old' quality and where does one buy tambour doors in a trailer? I have 19 of them. Although I could sell it for more than I paid ,I put $5000 worth of labor in it Non-refundable. Priced a pop-up lately? I sold a headache pop-up for $4500 and bought my AS for the same price!