Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2017, 02:39 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Las Vegas , Nevada
Is Bigger Really Better?

Well, maybe a better question - is bigger more expensive?

I'm new to the neighborhood and am actively looking at taking the AS plunge. I'd very much like to use my '08 Tahoe Hybrid as a TV so anything with a loaded weight of 6K lbs will work. Unfortunately, the larger and heavier AS rigs seem to represent more value for the purchase dollar. And to make my search more challenging, weight variances based on overall length and cost are all over the place. Hoping to find something 24' to 28' with a twin bed config. Anything shorter will be too cramped and anything longer will be too heavy.

I'm very confused. I've been through this thread top to bottom and still don't have a clue about where I should be looking. Your sage advice is most welcome.
acemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Maybe this thread has some information you may find useful.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f295...-a-136645.html

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I would first have the question towing with the Hybrid answered by someone with real experience before I wold select a trailer.

I have talked to telephone employees that had their service truck replaced with Hybrids comment they had much poorer mileage and no power.

But if you into the Greenee thing that may not be a consideration.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:36 PM   #4
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
If you're going to purchase an AS, I would get the trailer you want and need, opposed to one that will work with your 10 year old vehicle.

While I commend you on trying to be "green" (don't know how really green a hybrid Tahoe is). Your Tahoe is an 08, therefore almost 10 years old and fairly close to the battery packs life expectancy. It could also be difficult to get parts for the hybrid system of this vehicle due to it possibly being included as an "old GM vehicle"; built before or during the GM insolvency. Parts maybe very expensive, (see battery pack) causing you to part with it, sooner than later.

As for trailer length dictating price.......Yes, 22-28' is the sweet spot for resale value as these can be towed with lighter vehicles. 30+, especially the tri-axle 34' require a lot of TV and a lot of room to manuver so the amount of buyers willing to have that challenge is limited.

How about this deal......$40,000US for both truck and trailer; ready to roll. Truck has only 87,000 miles and is a pre 07 turbo diesel, so it won't have all the emission crap on it. Very good deal in my book.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-travel-traile...ationFlag=true

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Floor plan is everything. I have had 2 31' Sovereigns center bath and rear bath, center bath wins hands down for me. I also have a 34' Excella which has lots of room and lots of perks. I have a 25' Tradewind double bed layout with a wet bath. The Excella gets my vote for a house on wheels. The Tradewind gets my vote for easy towing and well thought out design.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I agree in that I wouldn't get hung up too much on your present tow vehicle - may be about time for a change anyway unless you are really attached to it!

I would be inclined to concentrate on what you really want as a trailer then adjust tow vehicle if needed.

We wound up with a classic 30 - not really because we wanted that length but rather because it had a similar interior layout to our previous non-AS trailer that suited us perfectly.

We had to go to that size in an AS to get the layout we wanted.

I was a bit concerned about the length. Our previous trailer was 27 ft. and I worried about not being able to get into some parks. Turns out it has not been a problem.

Only thing is that we have become very happy with the extra space and now I could not get my wife to consider anything smaller! Maybe a word of warning!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:57 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Beachburg , Ontario
To Wingeezer
That is very good advice!!!

I concour with your reasoning
Old 01-29-2017, 11:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
especially the tri-axle 34' require a lot of TV and a lot of room to manuver so the amount of buyers willing to have that challenge is limited.
Not quite. The triple axels were built in the 80's and are, for their size, really quite svelte. Our 1984 34' International weighs in, empty, at less than 7000 lbs and has an extremely low tongue weight. They also tow like a dream and back up even better. They are easily towed with a relatively small TV, we towed our with a Honda Odyssey for years.

They do need some space of course and that does create limitations of access in some parks. When the kids are older we will most likely buy a Sprinter for my wife and myself and do a conversion that allows us to get off the beaten track.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:40 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
Tough question really, but then again not really - I have said this on other posts - I have yet to have any airstream owner tell me they wished they had gone smaller and saved on features. I wouldn't personally make a trailer decision based on current tow vehicle. Decide what you will be most happy with and then figure out TV. You will spend much more time in and out of the trailer than you will the TV. Value per foot - yes a Bambi is the starting point for what it costs to build and sell a trailer for a profit. Adding feet and features to the frame is basically the cost of materials & labor plus profit margin. You can / have quickly figured that one out at a show that floors multiple lengths and layouts. But it isn't just about cost per foot it's also how you will use it, what you can afford, where you will park it for use, where you will park it for storage, etc..
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 01:21 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by acemakr View Post
I'd very much like to use my '08 Tahoe Hybrid as a TV so anything with a loaded weight of 6K lbs will work.... Hoping to find something 24' to 28' with a twin bed config. Anything shorter will be too cramped and anything longer will be too heavy.
"Loaded weight of 6K" is key. You may find a 24'-28' trailer that weighs <6K when empty. Rather than comparing dry weights, you want to look at GVWR, which is more realistic when contemplating your load when ready to roll. In round numbers, expect your loaded trailer to weigh 1K more than when empty.

The largest 6K GVWR AS is 23'. If you want a larger AS than that, then you need a truck with greater towing capacity.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post

I was a bit concerned about the length. Our previous trailer was 27 ft. and I worried about not being able to get into some parks. Turns out it has not been a problem.
If you are getting a new one, just remember, the 28fb is 27 ft long and the 27fb is 28' long. Ours is a 27 international FB Twin and I report that to the campground, but it actually is 27' 11".

Go Figure?
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 01:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Another way to look at the cost vs features is to decide what your 4 or 5 core must have's are.

Then be sure to select a unit that meets these needs.

After that, then compare the features that come with longer or more nicely appointed units to the base unit that meets your needs. Consider alternative "work arounds", and judge the extra work/hassle/don't want to factor on the work arounds, and see how you feel about the various features.

Example of what I mean.

Our Must Haves were this.
Good bed for 2-this ruled out 16, 19, 20, 23D with 48 in wide bed.

Permanent bed for 2. This also ruled out 16, 19, 20, 23D. These units can have one sleeper on the bed, and one on the dinette made into a bed. That was not what we wanted for our intended usage.

Good counter space. This ruled out the 16, 19 as I didn't feel that they had the counterspace I wanted.

A place to keep everything used in the airstream, IN the airstream. This ruled out the 16.

We have 2 adult kids. One lives in town. One lives far away but on the way to great vacation spots. Do I need a unit to sleep 4 adults?

Food was still a consideration here Especially the very small refrigerators in the 19, 20 22.

We wanted to boondock at national parks where you need to bring along just about all of your food.

Due to our national park type of camping preference we were trying to find the smallest unit we would be satisfied with longer term.

So the food storage thing became a bit of an issue. Would I buy a 23FB or 25 just to have a larger refrigerator? Then I found out about Yeti coolers and their ability to keep food either cold or frozen with dry ice for about a week. We spent less than $1000 getting 2 totally awesome coolers instead of maybe $15,000 more getting a 23FB.

Would I be happy with a 23 FB or a 25 or 26U? Sure I would love one. I may get one someday. But I got a 22 sport and still have that extra cash.

And got a great North Face tent, camping cots, and some gear for the daughters. Also much less than a longer trailer.

For us it was not worth the additional expense to go to a larger unit to be able to sleep 4 adults and have a larger food storage area.

If I were 15 years older it might be worth it.

But that is how we did the analysis on what we needed all the time, what we might need some of the time, and what we were willing or not willing to do for work-arounds to manage what we needed and wanted.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 02:45 PM   #13
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
Not quite. The triple axels were built in the 80's and are, for their size, really quite svelte. Our 1984 34' International weighs in, empty, at less than 7000 lbs and has an extremely low tongue weight. They also tow like a dream and back up even better. They are easily towed with a relatively small TV, we towed our with a Honda Odyssey for years.

They do need some space of course and that does create limitations of access in some parks. When the kids are older we will most likely buy a Sprinter for my wife and myself and do a conversion that allows us to get off the beaten track.
Hey, I'm okay with you towing a 34' triple axle with a Honda Odyssey; whatever floats your boat....but I can guarentee you that Odyssey went through some pretty serious modifications to do just that feat. I can also speculate that there are a thousand other 3/4 ton/1 ton pick up AS owners out there that would call you a maniac; a hazard on the road; over the GVWR towing limit and a million other not so nice things.

By your own admission you have acknowledge that these trailers do take up a lot of room and have limited access to parks....which would limit their appeal to new owners. Since the OP doesn't have a Honda Odyssey, the niggle to go out and purchase a 34' triple axle; just to see if their Odyssey could truly tow it doesn't exist.I was just trying to justify why large trailers are per foot cheaper than smaller ones.

I have run into a Saturn Aura XR owner towing a 23' or was it a 25' in Ontario; but a Honda Odyssey towing a 34', I'd love to see that. Rock on dude.

Trust me I'm the first one to suggest that there are other great TV's out there than just 3/4 ton turbo diesel pick ups; and even almost gotten banned for life suggesting it, (mod was a 3/4 ton turbo diesel pick up guy with no sense of humour).

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote