Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2020, 12:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

WOODINVILLE , WA
Inherited 2009 19' International with problems

I'm new here but my father was very active here for years until the last couple of years of his life. He passed away about a month ago in Florida. He left us with a 2009 19' International. Deam was the designer. His last trip was a year ago from Seattle to Jacksonville, FL and somewhere in Wyoming he blew a tire and it shredded and destroyed the wheel well. He got a replacement wheel and tire. When he got to Florida he parked it outside and I guess it started leaking. Looks like some of the floor has rotted away under the vinyl flooring so someone needs to fix that problem.

Otherwise everything else is in working shape with normal wear and tear for an 11 year old Airstream.

We are trying to figure out what to do. We could go for a quick sale and sell as is or we could fix it ourselves either through some repair shop or my brother is very handy and thinks he can fix the major problems.

I see ones of this size and features going for between $25-$30k but my question is what would you value an Airstream in this condition? Is there even a market for something that needs this much work?
farmersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 03:30 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Shreveport , Louisiana
Having bought and sold for years and flipped AS as well as class A there is always market
Reality AS one of most expensive to repair
Another reality beauty in is in eyes of beholder thereís always a market
Take pictures of unit with damages and all around condition of trailer
I could be interested I am cash buyer
Old 08-23-2020, 03:31 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Shreveport , Louisiana
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0764.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	344.1 KB
ID:	376705
Old 08-23-2020, 09:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
First question is, was there insurance on the trailer? How long ago did the wheel well destruction happen? If you could get the trailer repaired via insurance, this would be your best bet, even if you have to pony up for the deductible.

If the answer to the above is "no," then, the best bet is to learn how to properly repair the trailer (not rocket science, but there is a wrong way and a right way), and then you will be able to sell it at its max value. If you had to pay someone to do the repair, it may cost thousands of dollars, in which case, selling as a fixer-upper, may be the most expedient way to go.

But, get a reality check. look at eBay completed listings, RVtrader.com, craigslist, etc., and find out what that trailer of yours is really selling for. The value you quoted seems a bit high to me.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:44 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

WOODINVILLE , WA
Thanks everyone. I will check insurance. My father did have good insurance so I'll follow that trail first. I have seen very few AS trailers of this make, model and age. They must be very popular right now with the virus thing. I am hearing that RV sales in general are crazy. The best I can tell is that this AS in good condition goes for around $30k right now in Florida.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:28 PM   #6
DRJJL

1985 31' Sovereign
Poway , California
Don’t count your chickens before they are hatched.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:44 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

WOODINVILLE , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjudy View Post
Donít count your chickens before they are hatched.
I have no expectations either way. But we are going to list it here on the classifieds tomorrow as is and see what happens. If nothing, then we will get it fixed and get full value. I'll post a link tomorrow when I get pictures from my sister