Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2020, 10:22 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
How to sell a parked airstream in Ontario Canada

Hi there,

We have decided to sell our 1998 34' airstream but it has been parked for 6 years and likely needs new tires and probably brakes.

So, would you purchase new tires and brakes and put them on before selling, so that the new owner can purchase and simply tow away?

Or can i sell "as is" and expect someone to show up with the ability to do both brakes and tires? Is that ever done? We want to sell before renovations start and getting someone out there to even just look at it will probably take weeks.

Thanks for advice.
redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:25 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Gainesville , Florida
An interesting question every AS seller reviews for themselves. If I were in your shoes, I would definitely replace the tires. If the brakes were OK during your last tow, there is a good chance they are ok now. I would sell with the cavat that the brakes were "fine" (if they were), but that they should be looked at (along with wheel bearings).
Specsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Should be easy enough to sell and many people are in exactly your same position. "Been parked a long time, unsure what is in working condition".

If we were buying it and somebody advised me they just put "new' tires on I would wait to see them to see if they met my requirements for going the distance I was going to be going. At a minimum I would do some research or ask you where your nearest tire store is and will they have what we need when I get there.

In both cases when we bought trailers out of state they had reasonable tires on them with good tread and no sidewalk cracks. Bearings were done and brakes checked. When we got home the trailer set for a while with those same tires and then we upgraded when we were ready to use the trailer for travel.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:47 AM   #4
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
It will be an easier sell if you can make it road worthy. Even better if the buyer can camp in it on the way home. So water lines not broken, etc. Investments here can make a big difference in your selling price, and more candidates.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
I would consider just . . . "putting it out there" "as is" in the classified ads -- and see what happens.

Overthinking this could end up being more expensive than getting rid of it pronto . . .

It depends what your priorities are, so maybe get clear about those first.

If speed of sale is important, would it sell "as is" for $5? Probably yes!

So let's haggle a little about the price and other details.

Good luck.