Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-09-2020, 06:18 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Wisconsin
help with selling 1981 excella motorhome

hi. i believe this is my first post, so apologies if i'm not doing this correctly or am in the wrong area. i have a 1981 excella motorhome that has been partially renovated. i am considering selling it. i'm looking for resources that can help quantify return on investment of finishing restoration. for example, bathroom isn't done, cab area isn't done, etc... am i better off selling as is or finishing everything/certain things? i'm in wisconsin if anyone knows a good source for appraisal.

thanks,

chris
ccwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 12:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Hi Chris and welcome in.

You would probably get more responses if you posted this in the motorhome section and very importantly. Add in some pictures so the people here that have restored theirs can give you a better idea.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 04:00 AM   #3
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but these motorhomes are not investments. The advice is either buy one to work on and accept you will not recover the time or cost you spend, or buy one ready done and use it.

They are not like houses were you can expect to flip for a profit. So sell it for what you can, let someone else invest their time/money.
martin300662 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 04:42 AM   #4
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwright View Post
hi. i believe this is my first post, so apologies if i'm not doing this correctly or am in the wrong area. i have a 1981 excella motorhome that has been partially renovated. i am considering selling it. i'm looking for resources that can help quantify return on investment of finishing restoration. for example, bathroom isn't done, cab area isn't done, etc... am i better off selling as is or finishing everything/certain things? i'm in wisconsin if anyone knows a good source for appraisal.
thanks,
chris

As suggested try to post pictures. The unfinished Bath and cab area is one thing, the mechanical condition backed by receipts will be the determining factor. The price will range from as low as 8k to 20k plus, as long as the exterior is in good condition. Hail, dents and poorly replaced panels will further erode the price.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but these motorhomes are not investments. The advice is either buy one to work on and accept you will not recover the time or cost you spend, or buy one ready done and use it.

They are not like houses were you can expect to flip for a profit. So sell it for what you can, let someone else invest their time/money.
From everything I've heard/read this is true. Actually if you think it's worth PAYING $5 an hour to work on an Airstream (deducted from cost of materials) you "should normally" be able to sell it and break even for the rest of the cost of materials.
Important to realize, right now with the Covid caused shortage of RVs, prices are artificially high. This means you can get an extra 10-30% more money now for the same condition RV then when prices are more normal. This means if you take more then a year to renovate you might get less then you could get now.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote