Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Knoxville , Tennessee
Exclamation HELP! found '68 Land yacht is this good price?

I found 68 Safari Land Yacht in found to average condition. $3800 more floor rot than wanted to see, could not pin point in inspection. There's lots of original stuff but hasn't been used since 2008.
I have never owned camper or airstream, have been reading lots and am on the fence.
I am a sculptor and fabricator so think can tackle more than normal beginner. I am also not looking to restore but add a modern twist w/ reclaimed materials.
Help would be appreciated!!!
womanofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
HELP! found 68 Land yacht is this good price?

Greetings womanofsteel!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstreams!

My impression is that the price is within reason for a single axle Safari of 1968 Vintage, but there are several points that you might want to consider as bargaining points:
  • As long as it has sat idle, it will need new tires before traveling very far as well as having its bearings repacked and brakes inspected.
  • All windows should be inspected to verify that they are actually glass and not acrylic replacements. 1966-1968 Airstreams featured tempered curved glass windows that are expensive to replace as they are only available as reproductions or from RV salvage yards or from enthusiasts who are dismantling an Airstream that is beyond restoration - - - and any of those alternatives is going to be an expensive path to follow.
  • The exterior should be carefully inspected to be certain that there are no deep scrapes, gouges or dents that you are not prepared to live with as repairing them often requires panel replacement to correct as panel replacement starts around $1,000 and goes up from there when done in a repair center.
  • The coach may not have its original LP tanks which were likely Aluminum tanks . . . in which case you may be looking at needing replacement tanks to meet OPD Valve requirement -- if it has the original aluminum tanks it is an inexpensive operation to have the original valves replaced with OPD Valves (compared to the replacement cost for aluminum LP tanks).
  • The condition of the axle would be suspect, particularly if it hasn't been recently replaced.
  • Also, be prepared in this price range that the appliances are likely to be original and will be at or near the end of their service life.
My suspicion is that the coach is very close to its actual value (possibly $300 to $500 of discussion range). The smaller vintage coaches always tend to command a premium when compared to larger coaches of similar condition and vintage.

Good luck with your deliberations!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
I agree with Kevin. The price is good as long as the floor repair issues can be dealt with and all leaks repaired before you put any money into interior upgrades. Welcome to the forums and offer up to $300.00 to $500.00 less due to needed repair costs. If you are the only interested party tell them that is your lower end offer and try to walk away if they don't adjust what they will take for the trailer. Some will take less $ if you make a good showing of knowledge in repairs needed. You can DIY the repairs if you are handy at all but get a lower price if you can. Best of Luck and Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Raleigh , North Carolina
A fair price

Welcome!

I bought my '69 in your neck of the woods about a year ago for $3k. I knew I had to do some work to get it where I felt comfortable using it, but I did not know about some of the rot I'd have to deal with. I consider myself somewhat handy and I've been able to make the improvements needed by doing them myself. I've replaced the front section and now I am working on the rear section of floor. Projects are not bad when you set small goals and reach them. Eating an elephant with a spoon....

Go for it if you feel like you can do some projects yourself and want the rewards of all your effort. Check and recheck the big ticket items like the fridge, AC and furnace. Those items can quickly add thousands in replacements.

I love the Safari size. Post pics, we love pics....
BoCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:41 AM   #5

Currently Looking...
Knoxville , Tennessee
Wow this is a helpful forum! thanks!!!

So we agreed upon price last night and he wanted me to do a $1000 deposit today "BUT" the title is still in his cousin's name...I told him would go with them both on Monday to Courthouse for them to straighten up and pay in full but he was not good with that and wanted a larger deposit today. Then said a airstream restorer from Raleigh was coming today and bringing full asking price. Thought was too iffy for the title and couldn't risk a court battle! So I'm still looking. As per your comments...THANK YOU!
The $ figures I did not take into account, would be quite so steep adding together. The water heater hadn't been used in 14yrs & he was adamant that it worked but didn't turn on. There was also water damage under floor there pretty bad. The other appliances were original and didn't see working either. There were 2 exterior dents that one could be pulled "probably" and the other along a seem so would probably need replaced though I thought would have lived for a while. Front window was acrylic & didn't know that it was that specialized good to know. I think it was a good lesson, I crawled around in there & opened more things than the owner claimed to know was there...with all your comments think will be better knowledgable next time. THANK YOU!!! Still looking for pre 70's 22' and under...
womanofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Good for you! Don't just jump in with both feet ever! Let the trailer show you what is wrong. Any time an owner says "it worked the last time I tried it" make them prove it works. If the say appliances are out of propane offer to fill 1 bottle so they can demonstrate how every thing works. Any floor rot is rot! Check back there in a week and see if anyone has snatched up the trailer or not. Front and rear glass is flat so you can order it from any glass shop. Get heat tempered glass if you get the trailer and be sure to get pencil sanded edges. Cost for one glass window is only $50.00 or so. If it is still available quote them an even lower price. Saying you now have a better idea what is wrong with the trailer. Do nothing until a current and clear title is made available. No title no down payment. Hope it works out for you. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Shreveport , Louisiana
Thanks to Kevin and Ed for your responses to this post. We think we may have found our possibility but were unsure what to look for. We've been popup campers for years and are now considering a '67 Safari. I know "a camper is a camper" but the AS and the PU are apples and oranges! Your responses are definitely be helpful! Thanks again, Jennifer and Joe
JJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanofsteel View Post
Wow this is a helpful forum! thanks!!!

So we agreed upon price last night and he wanted me to do a $1000 deposit today "BUT" the title is still in his cousin's name...I told him would go with them both on Monday to Courthouse for them to straighten up and pay in full but he was not good with that and wanted a larger deposit today. Then said a airstream restorer from Raleigh was coming today and bringing full asking price. Thought was too iffy for the title and couldn't risk a court battle! So I'm still looking. .
Since he wasn't comfortable with your arrangement (which was totally fare), he then throws in that another party is on their way to give full price~sounds too fishy to me. Good to back off from this guy. There will be other finds out there. Especially with the help from this Forums, you'll have your dream vintage machine in no time. Good luck!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote