Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2004, 07:18 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Good buy?

Went to a Lenders and Insurers acution today, that had a 1981 Avion up for bid. A 34 foot Imperial model, center twins, rear bath. We looked at it yesterday, just a cursory glance so to speak and noticed a coupla things right off the top... kitchen floor had been replaced some time ago (dated vinyl sheet) and one broken window in the living room. Curtains were sheers only, strung on string or wire across the tops of the windows. The sale sheet listed the unit as having hail damage. The auctioner said it was totaled by the insurance company, which paid a claim of $15,000 on it. He also said it was 'as is, where is' and that there was no other information. No idea if it had been properly winterized or not, no idea what systems worked or did not work. This would of course, have a salvaged title. What would have been a fair price for this unit? I'm asking because I had thought about buying it, checking, doing what needs to be done to make nice, and reselling, thereby, hopefully, making something for my effort. I'll tell you later what it went out at. I'm afraid I may have been 'way too cheap!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 01-17-2004, 08:45 PM   #2
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
Surely it sold for no more than $3000 at auction. I'll guess $2800.
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 05:02 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Charlotte , North Carolina
1981 Avion

You could easily double your money by parting it out. We Avion owners are always on the prowl for parts!

Mark in Charlotte, NC
1983 Avion 34V
MarkCinCLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 12:19 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Well, the guy that bought it drove up here from Radar O'Riley territory, and paid $3850 plus a $75 premium for it. I thought that was more than I would pay, but then, I would have bought it for re-sale, not personal use. With a salvage title on it, I figured absolute top dollar would be about $4,500 retail. Maybe I'm too cautious. And, not knowing how the major appliances were, or the other systems, you are really buying a pig in a poke at that price! I hope the family that bought, not a dealer, got a good buy with little more needed, and gets lots of use from it. The salvage title was what kept my price low.... I figured that would drop the retail price between 20 and 25%......

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 01-20-2004, 05:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
How dose one change a "Salvage title" back to a non-salvage title??
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 05:26 AM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Once a title has been "branded" salvage there is supposed to be no way to change it back to a normal title. There are some states that do not have a "salvage" title of any kind. If you were to re title the trailer in one of those states then you would have a "washed" title. There are some used car dealers that do this to get a clear title.
It goes like this. Title is branded in state #1, car is sold to the used market, dealer re titles car in state #2 that has no branding. Car is resold to dealer in state #3 that has branding, but transfer title is clean. This is why it is important to use a national clearing house like carfax before buying a used car. BTW what I have describe above is illegal in many states and could get you time in the local jail house.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 07:18 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Salvage units

To all:

Prior to buying my unit I looked extensively at salvaged units. Trying to figure out a winning bid was “tuff” to say the least. Avery good friend of mine does rebuild on the automotive side of salvage in his retirement. Since NADA does not have pricing on these older units we had to use a percentage of market price. Start at 20% of the market value for the hull then add 30 to 50% of new value for the major appliances and awnings. The tuff part is figuring out if the unit is really salvageable. Hail is one of the safer bets, flood is a “stay away from” unless you just want the parts above the flood line. Normally the dollar price for repairs, quoted by the insurance company considers a dealer doing the repairs not a individual. As to having a salvage title “thenewkid64” is absolutely correct. My truck right now is a salvage title and I have bought two other vehicles with salvage titles. Once again I have been lucky that my good friend and I are doing the rebuild work. The insurance company covers them with no problem regarding the salvage title. There is no shame in a salvage title if the rebuild was done by a reputable individual. Does it affect resale price? Yes normally my friend sell his vehicles about 10 to 20% under the low NADA price. So keep that in mind if you are looking for resale units.