Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2021, 02:42 PM   #1
dino84ac

1992 29' Excella
Fort Davis , Texas
Fair value

After a lot of starts & stops I've finally decided to sell my 1992 Excella 29' Airstream but I do not know how to value it.
Bought in 2004 from dealer. I believe it is all original except for new fridge, & A/C. Also replaced both complete axles in 2011 with 4000 pounders, 12" brakes & Centramatic wheel balancers but only used it for 1 trip. It's been in my yard, uncovered, ever since. Keep thinking I will use it but that never happens.
Everything in working order. Floor solid but shell needs polishing & there is a dent in front curbside panel. I would really like to sell it. It pains me to see it standing there unused! I would appreciate any help.I tried to upload some photos but was unsuccessful.
dino84ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 04:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Establish value

Look at similar models for sale on the Airforums Classifieds, RV Trader, RVT, Etc. This should give you a ballpark figure.

If it has been sitting since 2011 figure the cost of new tires, Bearings needing repacked, brakes checked for operation, and the replacement cost of any of the mechanicals you can't get working (water heater, water pump, furnace, A/C, Convertor, vent fans, etc). Batteries will need to be replaced if over a couple years old.

The cost to polish a 29' Airstream by a reputable shop is in the $10k range.

Good luck with your sale. Advertise it on this site and wait for the phone to ring.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I wouldn't worry about polishing it. Also, "originality" in a 90's vintage trailer is not worth much. When I hear "original," I immediately think of all the work that needs to be done, and all the funky smells the upholstery, foam, and drapes will have absorbed in the last 30 years.

If it has been sitting for 10 years, your biggest concern is the leaks that will have resulted in floor rot. Go completely around the interior perimeter of the floor and stab an icepick or sharp little screwdriver into the subfloor and check for rot. Every seller is convinced that their trailer doesn't leak. But they all do.

Next, go to the "Portal" tab right under the Air Forums logo, and scroll down until you see a link to the "trailer inspector's checklist." Go through this list and check everything out.

At this point, you will have a better idea of the condition of your trailer. You can then find valid comparisons and decide whether it is worth it to fix what is wrong, or leave it up to the new owner.

Ebay completed listings are sometimes the best source for "actual" market prices, but that said, I have seen many a trailer get bid up by enthusiastic newbies that ended up paying too much.

good luck!
Belegedhel is online now   Reply With Quote