Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2016, 12:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
Lake Orion , Michigan
Eliminating the shower?

I am replacing the floor in a rear bath sovereign, I was wondering if it would have a huge negative impact on value if I just put a toilet and sink in and no shower or tub. Thanks for any feedback or opinions
mmollema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:05 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
FWIW, we wouldn't look to buy one without a shower. That's just one opinion, though. And a novice one, at that. We'll try to use campground showers when possible, but like the idea of knowing that if the weather is bad, or if we're boondocking, we can get a proper shower. Even if it's a "ship shower".

All that said, it's yours. Do what makes the most sense to you. If there was room to add it later, that'd be at least an option for a new owner (or you at a later date).

Dave
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
I wouldn't purchase a travel trailer without a shower. Have stopped at to many campgrounds that had really nasty bath houses.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Your choice, you are the one writing the checks.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:12 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
Lake Orion , Michigan
The showers and tubs are so small I just didn't think they were very functional I wanted to keep it mostly original but the tub and sink had small cracks. Do they sell after market surf that fits all the airstream curves.
mmollema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I actually spent 2 years looking for the right combination of year, condition, and layout. I passed up on several trailers with the skinny wet bath across the rear (70's GTs), and finally found one with the full bath. When I tore out the interior to do the shell-off, the brittle plastic the tub was made of broke to pieces. Spent way too much time looking at aftermarket replacements that would not fit the curve and would have the drain in the wrong place, custom designs that would cost and arm and a leg, and finally took the plunge to layer the outside of my tub and seat with a thick layer of fiberglass, and then reseal/re-gelcoat the interior.

So to answer your question, if I were looking to buy a trailer, I would probably pass yours by if it had no shower/tub. If you find your shower too small to be useable, maybe the solution is to redesgn it to be more functional.

You also have to consider that the length of your trailer makes it "family-size." I suspect that the population looking for longer trailers may be more likely to have little ones than the folks who are shopping for a short trailer.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:51 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
Personal Opinion

My personal opinion is I would never buy a RV/Trailer without a shower.
MsTara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I use the shower in the trailer most all of the time. Sit down with the hose. I would put the shower in. If you are just not going to use it maybe you could just put in the plumbing and leave a space for it to be added later. The shower on our 25 is a little tight. But on the 32 it is so large as to seem wasted space. If the trailer is for your own use and you are going to keep it a while I am not sure I would worry about the resale value though. I would want a gray water tank also and that would affect the resale value a lot, I think.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
We got into travel trailers because we wanted to be able to shower and use the toilet without having to go to the campground facilities.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:17 PM   #10
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
A tub or a shower, yes. That Byam guy went so far as to build a special coach for the caravans that provided showers since some of his prior designs neglected to address the requirement. Your coach, your money, your choice. My coach would have a shower. It's one of the features about which I was most suspect and after using one, it is one of the features that I am most happy to have.

Good luck with your project. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:33 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
The "value of the trailer" doesn't matter if you plan to keep it.

Last month we were across from the shower house in a large campground. It was surprising how many people walked from their large RVs to use public showers. So there may be a market for trailers without showers.

The only time I use public showers is after climbing out of a public pool. I wouldn't buy a trailer that doesn't have a shower.