Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Eddie Bauer modified - in classifieds

Some of us love Airstreams for what they are - others like them for what they can be. I was very lucky to get a great deal on an almost unused EB earlier this year and lots of my acquaintances and friends actively drool over mine. Therefore I was pleased to find one in the classifieds so I could mention it to fellow campers.

2012 Airstream Eddie Bauer 25 for sale in Beaufort, South Carolina

Everyone's taste is different and this one is Not my cuppa tea. Frankly I wonder why one would pay a premium for an EB then modify it so drastically so soon after buying it. I'd reserve this kind of modification for a 10 year or older A/S where the interior was badly worn.

I personally love the leaf motif sliding doors in the overhead cabinets... so this alone would spoil it for me... but if you want something different... this IS.

Paula
Old 12-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Interesting that it is unfinished - buyer gets to choose hardware and finishes. I guess that's an opportunity for someone who wants a fairly new custom trailer. I also don't understand why someone would replace a brand new interior if they didn't plan on keeping it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
I remember house hunting. The stress is astounding. I threw a coffee cup when I lost a bid and broke a couple of plates in a drain rack once.

Repairs maybe?

"A good man takes care of his animals, but wicked men are cruel to theirs." Proverbs 12:10
daymonjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
"My wife is a designer…." Maybe this sentence explains it.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
The tabletop does look nice; but oh boy... I wonder if someone viewed the adirondak airstream photos and decided to take a shot at that perfection?
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I see a lot of Airsteams listed in the classifieds and other places for the price somebody paid for it a year, two, or even three previously. Inevitably, the ads stay there until they expire.
We'll see if this is another one like those in another three months.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Hilton head island , South Carolina
I planning on looking at this as I am close by and a EB is at the top of the list for me and my wife. Who knows it may be perfect for us..
My concern is now I have no idea what it weights or the hitch weight. Would the be modified greatly by these updates? Some other things I am not sure about should be clear when I see it
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
This is a perfect example of "in the eye of the beholder." I think it sucks.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
This is a perfect example of "in the eye of the beholder." I think it sucks.
I'm trying to mellow out in my old age and be less judgmental.... but "not my cuppa tea" seems pallid.

I too would worry about the weight increase. The table and lower cabinet faces should be about the same as the originals, but the "bookcase" that went on the side couch platform, the upper cabinet sliders and the bedroom "wainscotting" have got to add significant weight. Wild Guess 350lbs at least (assumption - the paneling and the door panels on the upper cabinets are only 1/4 inch thick. If they're heavier, yikes!

Designers - I kinda like the table. STOP THERE. Do the rest with upholstery/curtains, and "ob-jay duh-art"... make it easy for the next owner to cleanse his/her palate.

Paula
Old 12-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

SNIP '"ob-jay duh-art"... make it easy for the next owner to cleanse his/her palate. SNIP'

Paula
I hear sorbet is very good for that !! :-))
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I think with a natural finish added to the wood it might be pretty nice, better than the photos indicate. It's excellent that a consistent aesthetic continues throughout.

The bedroom is a curiosity. Are they using a sofa bed so the bedroom can double as a lounge? Good idea in that the dinette seating is lousy for sitting comfort. Twin beds would also fit well.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I kind of like it - remember this isn't finished yet. I don't care much for the shiny plastic finish of the newer trailers, much prefer natural wood. With the right kind of finish, this could look lovely.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I think they effectively wrecked their trailer.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #14

1968 17' Caravel
One thing I have always thought is that the furniture in new trailers was unnecessarily heavy compared to the construction of cabinetry in the vintage trailers. You could probably shave off a few hundred pounds by getting rid of the MDF and replacing it with lightweight frames and thin plywood, and I think it would look good too. Not saying that's what they did, but if I had a gutted new trailer, that's what I would like to do with the interior.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
I'm with you Paula, I saw this ad as soon as they posted it. It doesn't look ANYTHING like the Eddie Bauer I have come to love and adore! I absolutely couldn't believe how they took a perfectly great AS and completely changed it. I'm sure it looks better in person but ain't want I'm looking for! Laura
Old 12-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
One thing I have always thought is that the furniture in new trailers was unnecessarily heavy compared to the construction of cabinetry in the vintage trailers. You could probably shave off a few hundred pounds by getting rid of the MDF and replacing it with lightweight frames and thin plywood, and I think it would look good too. Not saying that's what they did, but if I had a gutted new trailer, that's what I would like to do with the interior.
Just for the record, there is no MDF in newer airstreams. It's all plywood with laminate surfaces that is rather thick and often curved to eliminate the need for frames. (Classics have solid wood components). There are solid wood supports and edges. Actually quite sturdy construction and not heavy. I just pulled the front dinette cabinetry out of ours to install recliners.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Wtf?
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Just for the record, there is no MDF in newer airstreams. It's all plywood with laminate surfaces that is rather thick and often curved to eliminate the need for frames.
That's good to know. It has been a while since I looked at a new one, and I was disappointed at how unnecessarily heavy it appeared to be.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Ouray , Colorado
As an owner of a 2012 27' Eddie Bauer, and living in it fulltime, I can appreciate where the customization was going. However as it is not "finished" yet, its hard to judge.

Timeless Travel Trailers based out of Denver builds (and restores) beautiful Airstreams. For example the one below was well into the 100k range. In fact when we toured the factory, they had many 150k plus builds happening.

jasperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #20
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I think with a natural finish added to the wood it might be pretty nice, better than the photos indicate.
It might have had they used something other than the low-end knotty pine. That wood reminds me what cheaply-done basements were like in the '50s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
I think they effectively wrecked their trailer.
I agree.