Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Just for the record, there is no MDF in newer airstreams. It's all plywood with laminate surfaces that is rather thick and often curved to eliminate the need for frames. (Classics have solid wood components). There are solid wood supports and edges. Actually quite sturdy construction and not heavy. I just pulled the front dinette cabinetry out of ours to install recliners.
Hi, you beat me to it; Everything in my trailer is solid or plywood. I've read where people say MDF, particle board, press wood, but they never were able to prove this.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:24 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
It might have had they used something other than the low-end knotty pine. That wood reminds me what cheaply-done basements were like in the '50s.
Common southern white pine perhaps. I think they are looking for the Eddie Bauer cabin effect, rustic rather than city slick. It has no finish; give it a few costs of clear satin polyurethane, a few Eddie Bauer furnishings and accessories and it may surprise you.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
It might have had they used something other than the low-end knotty pine. That wood reminds me what cheaply-done basements were like in the '50s.

I agree.
Hi, I also think the choice of wood could have been better. [cedar, maple, birch, Etc]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 12-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
I hate to post something negative, but, I can not hold my tongue. To each his/her own, but, yowza...that is really making my skin crawl. Wife might be a designer, but it doesn't mean she's a good designer. Very sad indeed.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Some of us love Airstreams for what they are - others like them for what they can be. I was very lucky to get a great deal on an almost unused EB earlier this year and lots of my acquaintances and friends actively drool over mine. Therefore I was pleased to find one in the classifieds so I could mention it to fellow campers. 2012 Airstream Eddie Bauer 25 for sale in Beaufort, South Carolina Everyone's taste is different and this one is Not my cuppa tea. Frankly I wonder why one would pay a premium for an EB then modify it so drastically so soon after buying it. I'd reserve this kind of modification for a 10 year or older A/S where the interior was badly worn. I personally love the leaf motif sliding doors in the overhead cabinets... so this alone would spoil it for me... but if you want something different... this IS. Paula
I am married to an interior decorator, so I know why they changed the brand new interior; because she couldn't help herself. She had to change everything, form over function. Every time we move our new house is gutted and redone. If my wife can figure out how to move walls we do that as well. I bought my 25 FB International, rather than one of the other models, because we liked the interior. My wife immediately wanted to change it. I didn't let her, but promised after we used it for a while she could have a go. It's been five years and she's at me again, and she doesn't even go with me very often as she can't stay out as long as I do. She has a business to run. I know these decorator types, remodeling is like a drug to them.

Now I'm getting ready to trade it in on a 25' EB rather than let her pound money down a rat hole on the old one, and I'm sure she'll be at me again. Maybe I'll let her change the fabrics, but I doubt she can quit at that. The old one still looks pristine.
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:36 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Designers build a sleek horse. Decorators turn them into camels.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:06 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
Banning , California
Talking Personal choice - yea !

If you like your trailer the way it is, YOU CAN KEEP IT THAT WAY, PERIOD.
[sound familiar]
Chipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:12 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Wainscott , The Hamptons, Long Island
I feel sorry for the house that's going to get a similar treatment.
Beer Snob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #29
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Teto...

When we bought the AS I transferred a lesson learned years before...

After 'modifying' several auto's to my own fancy and loosing my shirt when it came time to sell…don't do it to improve value.

Your personal preference may not be easily transferable, then again shirtless may work fine for you.

Realizing that at our later stage in life we will at some time need to efficiently rid ourselves of the AS it was agreed that OEM left stock with only improvements to functionality will the best route to take.
The interior/exterior appearance of 'Cloudsplitter' is Factory.

Spritely Streamers may not agree.

We are all on the same road, some of us just further along than others.

Bob
Old 12-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Bob,

I couldn't agree more. "Changing" things will often reduce the value of your trailer and at best, it will reduce your customer base. Here is another example of personal preferences producing a liability.

2010 Airstream Flying Cloud 27 for sale in Pasadena, California

There is probably someone out there who wants a smaller bed pushed up against the wall in a 27FB, but it might be difficult finding that person. I suppose you could talk the price down and take the money and have it all rebuilt to the original setup but then that is the point, isn't it? If you want to make changes for you, that is a good thing. If you want to make changes for the next owner you should be very careful.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Resale? Next owner? Maybe, but it is possible to make major exterior/interior alterations and still appear "factory". Our goal was long-term living room comfort expressed as a 2012 Flying Cloud Recliner. The 2012 FC dinette/lounge seating is stored, for sale next spring when we get home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5709.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	201509   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5724.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	201511  

Old 12-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Why would you spend extra for the EB Airstream, then block the rear door?

Also, nice useless shelves. They're fine when you aren't moving, but they'd have to be cleared every time you want to move the trailer. If you're going to go permanent somewhere, then it makes sense, but otherwise they seem like more headache than they're worth.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
When we bought the AS I transferred a lesson learned years before...

After 'modifying' several auto's to my own fancy and loosing my shirt when it came time to sell…don't do it to improve value.

Your personal preference may not be easily transferable, then again shirtless may work fine for you.

Realizing that at our later stage in life we will at some time need to efficiently rid ourselves of the AS it was agreed that OEM left stock with only improvements to functionality will the best route to take.
The interior/exterior appearance of 'Cloudsplitter' is Factory.

Spritely Streamers may not agree.

We are all on the same road, some of us just further along than others.

Bob
Hi, as someone [me] who remodeled his living room and made many other small improvements, I agree, and disagree with east coast Bob. What he says is true; But for me, when I decide to no longer own my trailer, it will be old enough to not be a concern with the value difference that my modifications caused. I also made our trailer for our long term enjoyment and could care less what the next owner does or thinks about it.

Who knows, it might be in my will to one of my relatives. I don't think they will be too concerned with what they had to pay for it.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144