Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2017, 09:36 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Consignment sale

We are considering selling our 2016 Flying Cloud 28. I hate the idea of people coming by and kicking the tires. Also, we live in Athens Ohio and are sort of out of the way.
Hadocy in Columbus will do a consignment sale. They asked what my bottom line price would be. If they sell it for more, I get the price I quoted and they keep whatever they get above that. If it sells for less than my asking price, they charge 3% commission. Does that sound reasonable?
Also, I have lots of accessories. An Equalizer hitch, 2 Honda Eu2000 generators, a Zamp 160 solar panel, and various extension cords, adapters, etc. Would it be best to throw those in or sell them separately?

I am 81 years old and my wife and I are less enthused about the long drives and work involved in setting up and maintaining the trailer. Any opinions will be appreciated.

Richard
whitegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
I don't see any problem with consignment as long as you have a good feeling about the dealer. Have they been in business for a long time?

I would throw in the hitch and cords. But make the generators and solar panels seperate or possibly included at a full price offer.

Hope you have a speedy sale. Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
1967 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
Agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
I don't see any problem with consignment as long as you have a good feeling about the dealer. Have they been in business for a long time?

I would throw in the hitch and cords. But make the generators and solar panels seperate or possibly included at a full price offer.

Hope you have a speedy sale. Dave
Was about to post a similar message.
BambiTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:58 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
High Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegs View Post
If they sell it for more, I get the price I quoted and they keep whatever they get above that. If it sells for less than my asking price, they charge 3% commission. Does that sound reasonable?
Honestly it sounds like the hallmark of a really sleazy dealer. I've watched that kind of operation and they will screw anyone. No need to go into the gory details unless you really want to know but you don't want to deal with that type of commission set up.

Late model Airstreams that are priced reasonable fly off the shelf right now. There is no such thing as out in the boonies when it comes to Airstreams. People will gladly travel to your rig. Keep it simple. Keep the extras out of the picture, don't even mention them. When a reasonable buyer shows up, if you like them you can throw them in at that time if you want. You won't have to show it more than once or twice. Being in a remote location is actually a benefit, it'll weed out the non-serious folks.

If you still want to sell through a dealer for your own reasons find someone with a straight commission or fee.
brokeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Consignment sale
I did that a few years ago with an older Airstream. It worked out well and I got my asking price. I don't know what the dealer sold it for but they did some additional work on the trailer to help it sell to a new buyer. They repaired a fresh water tank that was leaking and also thru in a couple of new batteries.
Each time they received an offer they would call and let me know how much it was and asked if it would be enough for me. I just stuck with my original price and within a week they had the money for me. Later I found out that they had a short list of people who want used trailers and with that they had a buyer ready to go.
I think it's a good way to sell a trailer fast and I'd do it again without hesitation. I don't remember a clause that stated if it doesn't sell for
the asking price they would charge an extra fee. You may want to ask more questions about that part.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote