Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2009, 09:44 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

mansfield , Ohio
Considering a '77 Argosy, comments desired,

Still looking for are airstream, It’s a painted one, but an airstream never the less, I hope it is ok to post here.
It’s a rear bed model which is desirable to me; less opportunity for rear sage… isn’t it? The AS has been parked for 4 yrs, outside; current owners never camped in it.
I didn’t get the length but it looks to be about 30’. I personally like the front and rear wrap around windows and the rear bed.
Owner is firm at 3500, is this camper worth it? I know I haven’t given you much information as if yet, but that’s all the information I have to date.
snowpig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:20 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

mansfield , Ohio
Update, it is a 28 footer..
Do these have the alum floors?
Thanks
Old 05-18-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Most likely it doesn't have an aluminum floor. As far as I am aware, only the Argosy minuets had aluminum floors and not all of those did. As far as the value... it's very tough to tell without more info and some pics. A trailer is worth what some one is willing to pay for it but you should be aware that a trailer this old is likely to need some work.

I think that more info is the first order of business.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
The price is reasonable. Have you given it a good looking over. Take a digital
camera over and snap some pictures.
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:32 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Considering a 77 Argosy, comments desired,

In 1977, the rear bedroom was available only in the 28' model. It could be easily identified by the presence of rear windows with deep wrap wings on either side. A scan of the sales brochure can be seen below:

There don't seem to be too many of the rear bedroom Argosy coaches floating around. My notes indicate that 1977 was the first year for this floorplan. The price seems to be within the ballpark unless a major appliance (refrigerator, air conditioner, water heater, etc.) needs replacement or there is extensive floor or frame rot.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:10 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

mansfield , Ohio
Thanks for the information thus far guys.
Here is another update; The owner just doesn’t know much about this camper, they bought it 4 yrs ago and parked it with intensions of going camping. The owners before them didn’t do a whole lot to it other than camp. He did say everything worked before they sold it.
I know next to nothing about the agrosy’s, are there any pitfalls that I should be on the look out for? Are the wrap around windows prone to leaks, or are they pretty solid? Is there less, or more weight in the back with a rear sleep area?
I hope to get the opportunity to go look at it this weekend.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Considering a 77 Argosy, comments desired,

Many actually prefer the rear bedroom model due to the perceived fact that rear end separation is less likely as the potentially variable weight of the waste water holding tanks is moved from the far rear of the frame to a point much closer to the axles. With any travel trailer it is possible to overload or mis-load a coach such that the chassis is stressed to the point of damage. So long as sensible loading practices are followed there is no inherent design problem with the rear bedroom coaches. The constant weight sources are somewhat comparable between a rear bath and a rear bedroom it is the variable weight of the waste water tanks that can plague the rear bath coaches.

The deep-wrap wing windows aren't particularly trouble prone. As with any penetration to the sking, they can leak if seals and caulking is not maintained. Something else to keep in mind is that while new replacement units are available for the deep-wrap wing windows, the replacements are tinted where the originals are clear -- a good reason to have rock guards installed -- not to mention the steep price of the replacement units.

Basically, the first generation Argosy coaches are no different from similar model Airstreams other than the fact that they have a slightly lower level of standard equipment -- many features standard on an Airstream were optional on the Argosy. Appliances, windows, and plumbing fixtures were basically identical across the two lines -- sometimes the Argosy would have a smaller refrigerator, for instance, but it would be of the same manufacturer (Dometic).

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:12 PM   #8
Bambi Hunter

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Los Angeles , California
If you get it, congratulations! I have a 6 metre Minuet and I just love it! The only other Airstream that I pine for is a 1958 Flying Cloud.

I wish you many years of safe and enjoyable camping.
Tim
Tim Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:49 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Be sure to get a "Title" and the last registration papers.
A "Bill of Sale" and some document with the sellers info
would also be good. have the seller go with you to the
DMV if possible.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:20 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

mansfield , Ohio
Im going to check this thing out Fri or Sat. Seems the owner dosent know much about it, this is my first RV. Any suggestions on how to check out the appliences and water and sewer and electrical. Oh boy, I didn't see inspectors close to columbus ohio... help
Old 05-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpig32 View Post
Im going to check this thing out Fri or Sat. Seems the owner dosent know much about it, this is my first RV. Any suggestions on how to check out the appliences and water and sewer and electrical. Oh boy, I didn't see inspectors close to columbus ohio... help
What time on Saturday Jim? I will be availble by phone again if you like and can talk you through it.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:34 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Charge the water system with a city water hose.
Put water in the fresh water tank.
Run water through all the lines, hot and cold.
Close both gray and black drain valves.
Flush the potty a few times.
Get a bunch of liquid in both gray and black tanks via running fresh water.
With the lines charged(holding pressure) check for pressure leaks.
With fluids in the tanks, check for dump valve leaks.
Faucets can also be checked.
Drain line p-traps can also be checked..nasty critters they are!!
It'll take you about 45 minutes to mess with it all.
Go slow...the problems you find will be yours to fix if you purchase.