Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
Can you buy new direct from the Factory?

Just curious can you buy direct from Airstream to avoid middleman upcharges and or negotiation headaches?

I tried to do a search and it gave me hundreds of posts but after the first 10 none had anything I was looking for.... of course I may have submitted a bad search criteria....

NEVER MIND DID A BETTER SEARCH AND GO MY ANSWER.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getaways View Post
Just curious can you buy direct from Airstream to avoid middleman upcharges and or negotiation headaches?

I tried to do a search and it gave me hundreds of posts but after the first 10 none had anything I was looking for.... of course I may have submitted a bad search criteria....

NEVER MIND DID A BETTER SEARCH AND GO MY ANSWER.
Can you buy a car direct from GM?
Old 04-18-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
No you can't. Nor can you buy parts directly...

Airstream goes to great lengths to try and provide opportunities for their dealers to stay in business.. There are several in US that specialize in low-hassle internet sales and pricing, if that is your preference.. All must "honor" warranty, but some honor it more enthusiastically than others if they were uninvolved in sales...

Comment about GM relevant... ONce a manufacturer sets up dealer or distribution network of independent business owners, they are unlikely to undercut that network by selling around them...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Old 04-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Springfield , Illinois
Probably never happen unless the factory makes a mistake, and I would seriously doubt that. I have been buying parts from Inland RV in California. Have had absolutely great service and parts availability. Usually deal with Kathy on the phone but have talked to Andy who owns the place a couple of times. Great with suggestions and knowledge. Might cost a couple of extra bucks but well worth every cent.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Venice , Florida
It never ceases to amaze me how some people feel the need to "game the system" and deprive other people out of making an honest living.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
This brings to mind another question that I have had. Can you special order a new Airstream through an authorized dealer, and have him arrange for factory pick up by the customer?

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 04-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
This brings to mind another question that I have had. Can you special order a new Airstream through an authorized dealer, and have him arrange for factory pick up by the customer?

Brian
Although I can't swear to this my understanding is no.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post

Brian
Yes, as that's done many times every year.

But, first the dealer will have to confirm with the factory, that indeed, the coach is paid for, some how, some way.

Andy
Old 04-18-2011, 04:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum View Post
Airstream goes to great lengths to try and provide opportunities for their dealers to stay in business.. There are several in US that specialize in low-hassle internet sales and pricing, if that is your preference.. All must "honor" warranty, but some honor it more enthusiastically than others if they were uninvolved in sales...

Comment about GM relevant... ONce a manufacturer sets up dealer or distribution network of independent business owners, they are unlikely to undercut that network by selling around them...
There are also franchise laws in every state, which vary in strength state by state, which protect franchised dealers on many issues like this.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #10
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
You can buy lots of stuff direct from Airstream

By that I mean parts. The only catch?

You need to be at the plant. Although they occasionally sell things on the internet.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
They are very well set up for the Service Center to work with you on major repairs, modifications or upgrades. They'll welcome your call to reserve a date. You show up at the Terraport just east of the factory; camp there overnight. (the south sites are quieter during deliveries at 4:00AM). They pick up your 'stream at 7:00AM and return your coach to the Terraport at the end of every work day if they need more time to work on it. Take a factory tour while your coach is being worked on. There's a lot to be said about their customer orientation! Airstream, Inc :: Service Center

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 04-19-2011, 03:07 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how some people feel the need to "game the system" and deprive other people out of making an honest living.

Thanks for making that assumption. Did it ever occur to you that in this horrible economy I was treated like an idiot by a salesman at one dealer. And don't want to do business with that dealer after that. And yes I know one employee does not a company make.... but nonetheless at this time I refuse to deal with them. And if I have to go out elsewhere I'd just as soon go to the factory.... But no, it has to be me trying to game the system....

Sorry if I sound acerbic, but you jumped to a conclusion with not even asking why?
Old 04-19-2011, 03:19 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Smile

Just send Colonial Airstream an email. Very easy to deal with. I was not happy with the dealership in my area, went to Colonial. Waiting for my new AS, expect delivery in May. End of story
Old 04-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks for making that assumption. Did it ever occur to you that in this horrible economy I was treated like an idiot by a salesman at one dealer. And don't want to do business with that dealer after that. And yes I know one employee does not a company make.... but nonetheless at this time I refuse to deal with them. And if I have to go out elsewhere I'd just as soon go to the factory.... But no, it has to be me trying to game the system....

Sorry if I sound acerbic, but you jumped to a conclusion with not even asking why?
Airstream, by contractual agreement with all it's dealers, prohibit them from selling any coach direct to the public.

That would be undermining all dealers and a violation of the agreement.

Finding another dealer, that will make you happy and smile, is not difficult.

Sometimes, personalities clash.

Andy
Old 04-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #15
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
You have to buy from a dealer. You can buy some parts at the administration and service center building and fewer online. You can call them and ask about other things and maybe they will ship them, but I haven't tried that. Generally you have to buy parts through a dealer or look online. Some dealers may sell online.

It true there are big differences between dealers and you can look at trailers at bad ones, make a decision and then call good ones and negotiate a deal. You can special order modifications on some things, but the factory can be difficult on others. At one time I think you could buy a shell, but I don't think they do that anymore. Many decades ago before there were dealers, you had to buy at the factory, but those days are long gone.

If you want to pick it up at the factory, shipping to the dealer should be subtracted from the price and after you have negotiated a price then ask about pick up at the factory for a further discount. Airstream pays the dealers to check out everything and that would be done at either the service center (good) or the factory (not so good). Clarify that too. I don't know what shipping costs, but it's probably more than for a car because it's done piecemeal. After picking up at the factory, stay at the Terraport for a few days to check out everything so it can be fixed before you leave. Then tow it not too far to see what other problems there may be.

Gene
Old 04-19-2011, 03:48 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Venice , Florida
Quote:

I hate to break it to you, but these guys are in the same economy as you. Things are just as tough on their side. The bad saleman sounds like a cop out to me.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:51 PM   #17
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Since when does he owe salesmen a living?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Old 04-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Ther are other dealers and perhaps other salesmen at that dealership. zz
Old 04-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:

So... you weren't thrilled by Safford? Join the crowd. Try Out of Doors Mart in NC. Very nice folks.

Paula
Old 04-19-2011, 04:32 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Paris , Ohio
airstream parts

I tried to get parts through my local dealer and got nowhere, I called the factory and they said I could buy direct, but no shipping. I went down and got what needed with no hassle. I just paid what they asked, I did not ask for any discount. Very nice people to deal with, it was a several drive from n.e. ohio, but worth it. Good luck.
Closed Thread