Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2012, 02:37 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
grass valley , California
Buy this caravel?

There is a 1966 caravel available 2 hours from my home that I am interested in. The positives are it was restored by TrailerWorks, new pan, new tires, new cork floor, new ac, new fridge, new sound system, polished, garaged, inside stripped to metal and looks cool, and title in California so it will be easy to register. The negatives are no propane, fridge is only two way, needs bed, cooktop, water for sink/faucet, no generator, no toilet.

I was thinking of keeping it electric, adding cabinet with water and a sink, use a small gas stove, and install a composting toilet. I would also need to buy a generator. I live by sierra trailer resortation and he said he could do the cabinet work or about $3,000.00 dollars. In the end, I would have a vintage, modern inside airstream with a composting toilet, and basically electric trailer. It would be about $17,000.00 all in, but I could do it in phases.

What do you think? Thanks for posting!
thinktankair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Sounds like it has little or no cabinetry installed? As for the propane and plumbing the question becomes- how handy are you? neither is a difficult install for a do it yourselfer. this gives much more flexibility on the fridge and cooktop. Others could answer the composting toilet question better so I will let them chime in on this one. If you dont want to install a below the floor grey or fresh tank they can also be located inside the cabinetry but might limit your capacity a bit. sounds like the major structural work is already done and it is just waiting to be made yours- go for it if the price is right.
tim
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Check out the Caravel on Torrance Craigslist....it is on a few others too. Thats a nice one, close to you and you'd be into it for the same as the one your looking at when all is said and done.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
grass valley , California
thanks

Thank you for the feedback. OK, so I shouldn't post so late at night. It DOES have nice custom birch cabinets the full lenght of the trailer and a custom dinette in the location of the original.
thinktankair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I don't see where you mentioned a new axle, but that's pretty important for a trailer that old, and a big expense.

It depends on the price and how handy you are. It sounds like a lot of work.I also think staying all electric is going to hurt your resale down the road, and you might not enjoy it as much, depending on the sort of camping you like to do. We do a lot of dry camping and like to be able to run a few days unplugged. Though I guess a generator would cover that for you to a point. You wouldn't want a generator running all night just so you could run a heater.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel