Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Redmond , Oregon
Boles Aero

I am new to the forum and new to the vintage trailer world. I am trying to purchase an old Boles Aero from a fellow that uses it for storage. I haven't been able to talk him into selling the trailer, yet. I am curious what would be a fair amount to offer the man. It's been gutted but the body is really straight and in pretty good condition. Airstreams are out of my budget so I thought if I could get this one I would be happy. I believe it's a 1949 model approx. 14 ft long. At least that is what my research has suggested. I would love to hear some thoughts.Thank you
Love trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Gutted and used for storage currently, I don't think it is worth very much. Maybe a few hundred dollars. Boles were a nice enough trailer, but all you would be getting would be a shell. Everything else would need replacement from the running gear to the lights to the entire interior. Airstreams may be out of your budget, but you would find that the Bowles will quickly consume any $$ you have in repairs and re building.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I have bought and rebuilt a couple of Boles Aeros, a '48 14 footer, and a '49 12 footer. And I recently purchased a '52 14 footer waiting for when I have the time. I paid, in that order, $200, $350, and $700. The '48 had good interior and just needed refinishing. The other two needed/need to be gutted. The frames on these trailers this size are quite stout. One good design of Don Boles was to attach the body to the frame instead sandwiching the plywood subfloor, as Airstream does. Which means if the wood floor rots out you can replace it without lifting the body off the frame. All the framework above the floor is aluminum so there is no problem with structural rot. A weakness is the junction between the aluminum upper body and the iron frame where dissimilar metals/galvanic corrosion can exist.

My '49 had the original axle, a drop axle, with leaf spring suspension. The running gear is very dependable after installing new bearings along with new LT tires. I have been using this trailer extensively for the last 11 years with no problems, and I frequently travel the back roads that can be quite rough and often need to use 4 wheel drive.

If you would like to discuss the Boles further, send me a PM. I definitely believe a Boles is worth the effort, and is easier to work on than an Airstream.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Search airstream on the Daytona beach craigs list. There is a Boles listed. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Sorry, it seems to be gone. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Redmond , Oregon
Boles aero

Hey Samb,My number is 615 545-8758. I won't be available to talk until Monday. Give me a call if you don't mind. Would love to talk some Boles Aero with you.
Thanks,
JK
Old 06-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Redmond , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by samb View Post
I have bought and rebuilt a couple of Boles Aeros, a '48 14 footer, and a '49 12 footer. And I recently purchased a '52 14 footer waiting for when I have the time. I paid, in that order, $200, $350, and $700. The '48 had good interior and just needed refinishing. The other two needed/need to be gutted. The frames on these trailers this size are quite stout. One good design of Don Boles was to attach the body to the frame instead sandwiching the plywood subfloor, as Airstream does. Which means if the wood floor rots out you can replace it without lifting the body off the frame. All the framework above the floor is aluminum so there is no problem with structural rot. A weakness is the junction between the aluminum upper body and the iron frame where dissimilar metals/galvanic corrosion can exist.

My '49 had the original axle, a drop axle, with leaf spring suspension. The running gear is very dependable after installing new bearings along with new LT tires. I have been using this trailer extensively for the last 11 years with no problems, and I frequently travel the back roads that can be quite rough and often need to use 4 wheel drive.

If you would like to discuss the Boles further, send me a PM. I definitely believe a Boles is worth the effort, and is easier to work on than an Airstream.
Sam
I will be out of touch this weekend but could talk next week if you have time.
Thanks,
JK
615 545-8758
Old 10-09-2015, 04:08 PM   #8

Chico , California
Just purchased a 47 15' needs new floor....did i read it right...no need to remove cabinets etc...to put in new sub floor?.... Would love to gleen anything i can on the restoration of a Boles....looks like most of the original interior is good...solid...without rot...it does need to be stripped and re varnished...the one panel which has the cieling vent is needing replacing...
Wetbrush1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:20 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Wetbrush
You would still need to remove the lower cabinets and everything that is attached to the floor to replace the subfloor. The advantage over an Airstream is that you would not have to lift the body off the frame to do the floor work. The Boles body is attached directly to the frame and does not "sandwich" the subfloor between the body and frame as Airstream does.

Sounds like your Boles is in pretty good shape!

If you run into any more questions feel free to PM me. I have rebuilt only two Boles Aeros, so I don't have all the answers, but can provide a few.

Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:48 PM   #10

Chico , California
Okay...thanks for responding so fast...will begin the removal tomorrow...did yours have an electrical connection on the outside really high up?
It also came with split rims...will eventually change them out...it can be a PITA finding old rims that can have hub caps...just went thru that on a 58 Kenskill I restored...the Boles will be my 5th resto...i also own a 62 Holiday House 18 that I restored...not an expert at all...just love working on vintage trailers...heading to Virginia City, Nv for a rally next week...the new owner of the Kenskill is going too
Would send photos but they are not stored on a web site...just on my ipad
My email is Annlockett@pacbell.net....if you email me, i will send photos...i will e asking advice/questions on the Boles if you do not mind...thanks...Ann
Wetbrush1 is offline   Reply With Quote