Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2007, 08:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
San Francisco , California
Best way to market and sell 64 Safari

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking about selling my renovated (not restored) 1964 Safari Airstream. It's beautiful and was featured in the book Airstream Living by Bruce Littlefield. You can also see pictures of it here: MAK Design+Build
click on "We Do" and then it's Case Study #5. Now that my company has grown out of the trailer and into real office space - YAY! - it's not being used and I hate to see it just sitting there. I would love for someone to use it and enjoy it again.

So, where do all you experienced Airstreamers suggest that I list the trailer to reach the right buyer? I'm thinking of starting on this site - but I'd be open to suggestions. Maybe Craigslist as well? It's currently in Davis, CA, but I could move it to my brother's house in Palo Alto. Does anybody think the location of the trailer when trying to sell it will make a difference? I'm thinking that there might be more demand for a creatively done trailer like mine in the Bay Area.

Also, I have read some of the postings on this forum about how to price a vintage trailer - but would appreciate any suggestions on that topic. I know there is NO WAY I would ever get out what I put into buying it originally and re-doing it (about $30K total) - so I have no delusions about that.

Thanks!

Nina
Neenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Marketing

Yep! Definitely a California deal.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I would leave it in Davis. Palo Alto is too geeky. Advertise it in the Bay Area, but a serious buyer from there would be glad to drive a couple of hours to see it.

I think your buyer is actually in the Tahoe area.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:39 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

gee, I wish I could get a better idea --from what i could see the Safari looks great.

I wouldn't worry too much about location . People will travel a long way to get the Airstream they are dreaming of--I just sold my Argosy on ebay and the bidder drove up from North Carolina for it.

Yes, try Craigslist first--after all , it's free, but Ebay is the place to reach lots of viewers--and bidding frenzy can really push the selling price up.

Zoe
zoeb nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:49 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1999 25' Safari
Truckee , California
Interested in your Safari...

I'm up in Truckee, shopping for a Safari or Globetrotter, mid to late 60's for my wife and I for short to moderate travel and camping trips. Is your trailer still available? Do you think it would function for our needs?
GGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:05 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
San Francisco , California
Hi There,

Yes, my trailer is still available - I haven't even listed it yet. I bought the trailer about 5 years ago from a guy up in Santa Rosa who used it regularly for camping and travel. He was the second owner (I'm the third). Since I've had it though - I have used it only as a stand alone office so it hasn't been moved from my friend's driveway since the guy I bought if rom dropped it off. The other reason I haven't used it for travel is that I never purchased a tow vehicle .

I think it would be a great travel trailer, however, if I had the time - I would consider using it to see the world! It is very comfortable and the interior is awesome. You'll be the envy of the campgrounds. :-) How interested are you in purchasing the trailer? Have you thought about how much you would be willing to spend? Did you want to try to see it in the next few weeks? I don't have any real urgent plans for listing it - but I had tentatively set aside the weekend of June 30th/July 1 to get it ready to sell. Let me know your thoughts.

Nina
Neenm is offline   Reply With Quote