Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
2009 28' Flying Cloud
Farmington , Utah
As good as I think? 2009 28' Flying Cloud

I know it's hard to say without seeing it, but I'm about to sign on the line and I'm looking for some advice...

I've located a 2009 28' Flying Cloud that appears to have seen little use. All components are working as they should.

The interior is a bit dusty from sitting. There is no indication of water damage. The exterior is nearly pristine. Tires are in good condition.

The unit was stripped of it's wall mounted flat-panel television. The trailer will need new batteries.

There are a few upgrades (3 Zip-Dee awnings, power inverter, etc).

This is a repossessed unit and we are looking to give it a happy home.

Based on the information above, I feel good about the price: $28,200. Above all else, Mrs. Fishcop likes it.

Thoughts??

Thank you!!
Fishcop76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
Aluminum Rookie

1974 25' Tradewind
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Take it and run! We were going to buy that AS at 85K new!!
chefmardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
You don't steal in slow motion. So you better hurry up.
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Sounds good but check the date codes on those tires. They are probably at least 4 years old maybe 5 years old and may need to be replaced no matter how good they look.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
2009 28' Flying Cloud
Farmington , Utah
The emphatic responses had us sitting at the dealer lot when they opened. We are now basking in the post-purchase afterglow! Thank you for the advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1365723182.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	436.6 KB
ID:	169652  
Old 10-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
Congratulations and enjoy.

If you ever have buyers remorse just keep reminding yourself for what you paid you could not have even bought a good tow vehicle. You got a great deal even if you wind up spending another few grand on incidentals.

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Congratulations,
I do not see how you could go wrong with your purchase.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
chalk hill , Pennsylvania
Wondering if there are many more repo's out there. A guy on Ebay has a 2012 27ft flying cloud that's a repo but he wants 62K. I'd think in this economy we'd see a bunch of newer airstreams taken back.
Getahobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:07 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Salt Lake City , Utah
This unit had been sitting on the lot for months at $29,000. I think you did ok on price, but I chose to pass on the unit for the following reasons:

1. Repossion. The PO chose to default. In my opinion, the condition of the trailer reflected the PO's other decisions as well...

2. Tires. None of them matched . Big red flag for me.

3. You stated there was no water damage. Look carefully at the base of the dining table seating where the fabric contacts the floor. You will see a stain about two inches up all the way around the dinette .

4. Most of the window coverings were damaged. It appeared that a dog (possibly a small child) had "tore through" the mini blinds. Several of the window opening mechanisms did not work. Many of the cabinet hinges did not operate correctly.

5. Gut feeling. The ripped out television just reminded me of repo'd homes I'd seen with appliances ripped out and faucets left running. No service records whatsoever and the bank chose to sell it "as is".

The body was nice as were the extra awnings. Did the dealership install batteries (it had none) and check all water, gas, and electrical systems prior to signing on the dotted line? Or did they promise to take care of all that? Did you know that the dealership specializes in branded or salvage title automobiles? Let us know how it works out.
Ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
Olathe , Kansas
Fishcop,

Don't let someone tear down your purchase! The time for a negative response is BEFORE a man purchases, NOT after. Sounds like easily handled stuff we all deal with to me. We ALL fight water leaks, so just find it and fix it. All the rest were things you probably saw yourself. For what you paid, you did steal it! Congratulations and enjoy your new trailer!

Ken
Old 10-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Fishcop, our Airstream was a repossed trailer. The previous owner had been hard on it before the repo. A company specializing in wrecked motorhomes was the selling agent. The selling agent was very honest about the trailer. It had two 9 year old tires and two 5 year old tires of two different brands. The brakes were shot. It had a small area of water damage and needed heavy duty cleaning on the inside. It had a clean non-salvage title, And we were able to purchase for a very low price because of all of this. We restored our Airstream to great condition and still have a fraction of the market value invested. Our Airstream purchase is one of the smartest moves we ever made.

All of this is to say....Your new trailer may have a few issues to deal with, but I believe you and your family will be very happy with your purchase. If I was shopping for an Airstream, I would have jumped at the opportunity you had.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
2009 28' Flying Cloud
Farmington , Utah
Ducatiman, at this point, you need to whisper those types of concerns - lest I find myself sleeping on the couch.

Everyone else, thank you again for the responses to my original request for advice.

I understand that we will spend some time working our way through the trailer, but it appears that most of the work to be done is superficial.

Ducatiman is absolutely right. The tires are mis-matched and nearly all of the mini-blinds need replacing (kids I'm guessing as I found coloring books throughout). I did not see any sign of water damage, but that may have been a rookie mistake.

It does need batteries and a television as the previous owner pulled them. I am new to this, but I believe that I've read that you should remove those items before storing for the winter? All water systems were still full of RV antifreeze when I tested them on Friday.

The trailer has not been registered since early fall, 2011 and in all likelihood hasn't been used in the last 12 months.

It has been sitting on the sales lot since May awaiting court proceedings to finalize. My understanding is that it became available for sale within the past two weeks. The dealership handles branded-title automobiles and repossessions. This Airstream has a clear title as it was a repossession.

I'm still confident that I've done well on this purchase. We plan to use this trailer well into our golden years. In the meantime, if I find myself working through a few issues, I'm fine with that too. I'm confident that if it gets too involved, I have access to a wealth of knowledge in all of you.

Thank you again.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:21 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Evergreen , Colorado
You did very well on this purchase. The items mentioned are minor, and easily fixed in an afternoon. Ducatiman, not sure what your motivation was in posting that after he pulled the trigger. Perhaps to reassure yourself you made the right decision in not buying it? I think Fishcop took it in stride well, but seriously - just came off like sour grapes. If your real intent was to just make sure he checked out those items, it didn't really come off that way.
Nightwatch is offline   Reply With Quote