Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2016, 07:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Appraiser and 34' TT

We've accepted an offer on our Foretravel MH, so we're actively looking for a late 90's/early 00's 34' Airstream.

1. Any suggestions for an appraiser? I know that Airstreams sell for more than what NADA or KBB show, and I'd like to get insurance to cover the actual cost of our coach, rather than tell the agent I paid xyz for it, so the premium is based on that, but then the fine print says they will only pay NADA or KBB in case of a loss. I want it insured for what I paid for it (and that means that they pay me what I paid for it in case of a total loss).

2. Along with that, then, comes the need for an appraiser. Any suggestions? Obviously an appraiser in Florida isn't much help if we buy a coach in Washington, but if I have some suggestions it might be that I can find someone either close to where we buy or at least on our way to wherever we're going.

3. What's a realistic ballpark number for what we're looking for? We looked at one coach some time back (long before we even had an offer on the MH) that seemed to be priced way too high for what it was. The ad expired, and was eventually reposted at a slightly lower price. That ad is about to expire, and I suspect that in two or three months it may appear again with another slightly lowered price.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 05:44 AM   #2
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Find a company that will write an agreed value policy.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Ballpark is a good term in this case. The price of a given used trailer can vary by 30% or more. A dealer will want significantly more than you could buy the same unit from a private sell. It is all a function of seller motivation because the market is really much smaller than perceived. This is a specially true with the 34s as most buyers are shying away from them preferring a smaller unit.

If you want to define a range I would suggest you follow listings on E Bay and watch the listing here in the classified section of the Forum.

The dealer asked $35,000 and I paid $24,000.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Progressive writes agreed value policies. Since I bought my 2002 this year from a dealer they did not require an appraisal and let me even insure for a little more than I paid since I transferred 16" wheels and tires from my 25.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:59 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Camarillo , California
Jim Polk in Ca. is an excellent appraiser.
loft47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
As Al stated Progressive writes agreed value policy and many AS and any kind of rec. usage use them. They originally started to write Winnabego. motor homes. I found rates very reasonable, as far as appraiser I used local AS dealer, He was very fair with figures. They will want pics of outside and all of inside to verify appraisal. There wasn't any hassle for my policy. Bill
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 04:40 PM   #7
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
This won't really help you at the moment but could help down the road if you ever have a claim. Insurance companies try to pay out as little as possible so I copy the adds for similar trailers to mine when I see them on Airforum or Craigslist, particularly those that sold. I now have a stack of comparison trailer values I can present if I ever have an insurance claim.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Great idea, rvb! Having a copy of the ad for the coach we buy is something we had planned to do, but having ads for the ones we don't buy is also going to be helpful.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:27 PM   #9
vrp
Full Timer

1998 34' Excella 1000
For what its worth we have a 1998 34ft Excella FK for sale. I have not listed it yet, and its stored indoors in Minnesota right now. We're in Florida. If interested, respond back
Vern
vrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:41 PM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Appraiser and 34' TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
Great idea, rvb! Having a copy of the ad for the coach we buy is something we had planned to do, but having ads for the ones we don't buy is also going to be helpful.

I have several three ring zippered binders for trailer and truck concerns. One has a great number of comps for the relatively unknown Silver Streak.

Brand new appliances plus flooring, upholstery and window treatment will do more than anything to "sell" condition (given very good or excellent exterior).

But it must meet or exceed factory standard. This is where nearly everyone falls short.

Get a camera and practice. I took hundreds of photos and used a lot of different lights to eliminate shadows to advertise my last trailer. (In signature).

Use factory brochures to see how pros do it. Use their angles and backdrops. Plus, remove nearly everything in interior personal or not standard from factory.

Along with comps and an appraisal, this body of documents becomes overwhelming in your favor.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote