Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2020, 10:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Scottsdale , Arizona
Question Airstream advice needed re: 2006-2008 Bambi/Caravel Special Editions

Hello Airstream Forum,

We are currently searching for our first airstream and have our eyes on 13-14 year old (06-08) Bambi/Caravel models that are 16ft-19ft. I am having trouble on knowing how to establish true market value. We understand the classic car market and know that what Kelly Blue Book or NADA states isn't always a true reflection of true market value but some of these trailers and especially the anniversary editions are almost triple what values NADA shows. I get specialized trailers should demand a higher price but how do you come to values other than taking a seller's word for it. Yes, there's the typical condition, maintenance records, originality, etc that come into play, but where's a good source to understand the base line sure market value especially when you can't really determine what the subfloor condition is without dismantling to some degree... and from what I understand, more than half of these trailer years have subfloor issues from leaking water because front and rear sealing can crack or break apart, even with a minor 5mph bump. How do you really know if you're paying fair market value or do you just have to trust the seller's word for it? Finally, what is a 19' (top condition) 2007 Winick 75th Anniversary edition generally price at in today's market and where is the best place to look for one for sale?

Thanks SO much for any help, time, and knowledge anyone can share with us!

All the best,

Sabrina
sabrinar_smi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:36 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
Spend some research time looking at those units on AirstreamClassifieds.com, Airstream Hunters on Facebook, RVTraders.com, and Craigslist. This should give you a pretty good idea of price ranges. You can always request FaceTime calls to view and discuss trailers that are not close enough to personally visit. Airstream Classifieds offers a way to request a knowledgeable inspector in the area to inspect a trailer in their area. Good luck with your search. Be ready to travel to get the right one. We traveled 1,750 and 2,000 miles one way to get our 25’ and 30’ trailers and did a FaceTime call on both of them.
DoubleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
There are no good prices guides for RVs. The KBB and others are just for insurance companies to use for values for accidents. Doing your own research is the only way, and to most people the 'special' editions of Airstreams are not that special, and Airstream has done a ton of specials over the past 20 years.
As for water damage, all Airstreams leak or will leak, just a nature of the design and if the owner is doing proper maintenance. Don't limit your search to one size or model, keep a open mind on what you must have in a Airstream.

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:32 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Scottsdale , Arizona
Thank you.

Thank you both for taking the time to respond. Both are great advice. Never really think of doing a FaceTime call so that's really clever. I will check out those recommended sites with an open mind. Great food for though on the "special" editions as well, I was told special editions are "hard to find" and "more rare" so that means they sell for close to their original MSRP... hard to believe which led me here. Appreciate you guys! All the best. Just want to spend the time before time researching and making sure there's no wool over my eyes!!
Old 05-11-2020, 03:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
A David Winnick is a rather rare bird; they only made 75 of them, and only a few come up for sale each year.

According to the David Winnick registry thread in the Bambi forum, the last mention of pricing was four years ago. The asking price for those trailers was $45k-$49k. From what I recall, current pricing hasn't dropped much from there due to the scarcity and desirability of the trailer.

Watch this thread - for sale mentions tend to pop up there:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f29...-49799-14.html
Old 05-12-2020, 11:58 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Scottsdale , Arizona
Thanks for the information and taking the time. That thread is filled with great info so thanks for sharing. I really have my eye out of one of the DW Bambis.. I just am so new to the airstream world that understanding their true value is taking some time!

Tags
caravel