Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2016, 03:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
trois-rivičres , Quebec
Advice Needed

I'm currently searching an A.S and have found this one

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-travel-traile...500/1177539303

price at 11 000$ CAN

Spoke to the guy and seen to be honest. Say he's willing to deal little bit on the price. The A.S still road safe to tow to my house.

My question: is it a good price or it way more over?

It will be my first A.S restauration ... so I need advices before I buy one.
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

No awnings. What are condition of axles? tires, leaks, items needing replaced. I don't no rate of can. to us exchange values. New awnings from zip-dee door side, rear window, and cur side, rite at $4000.00 USD with labor. Cost of axles & labor unless you can change them. I did mine when 78 yrs old no help but I have all tool. no dents or sun burn. my guess would be between 7 and 10 thousand usd plus these yrs. are getting scarce in original condition but worth more if not miss used. Rev. pics looks good except for stove top.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:46 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
trois-rivičres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
No awnings. What are condition of axles? tires, leaks, items needing replaced. I don't no rate of can. to us exchange values. New awnings from zip-dee door side, rear window, and cur side, rite at $4000.00 USD with labor. Cost of axles & labor unless you can change them. I did mine when 78 yrs old no help but I have all tool. no dents or sun burn. my guess would be between 7 and 10 thousand usd plus these yrs. are getting scarce in original condition but worth more if not miss used. Rev. pics looks good except for stove top.
Thank for these advises

11 000$ CAN is about 8 400$ US. So you are the middle on the spot :P

Yes, it don't have awning ... but for me it not a priority. Of course it a "big plus" to have one.

I will ask him how those axles are. Wish they still in good shape.

The tires aren't new of course. But, will be correct for the ride from him to my house.

He said she as not been accidented or have severe damages. but I know water can be a big issues. I will try to see it when I will visit him.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:02 PM   #4
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
I think the price is a bit high. A mid 70's long trailer may have frame issues and although it's hard to tell from the pics, if the axles have not been replaced, they are probably shot.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:14 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
trois-rivičres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I think the price is a bit high. A mid 70's long trailer may have frame issues and although it's hard to tell from the pics, if the axles have not been replaced, they are probably shot.
yeah I think it a bit high ... I will try to low it between 6 830 - 7 600 US (about 9 000 - 10 000$ CAN ). Wish it will accept.

And yes, I worry a lot for the frame and the floor but also the general structure :\
Old 07-27-2016, 10:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Most owners think that their trailers are in fine shape with no major issues (and they price them accordingly). It isn't that they are dishonest, they just haven't gone through the trailer thoroughly.

The value is mostly a question of the actual condition. Download the buyer's inspection checklist from the "portal" tab up above, and go through the trailer with it. Probably the single most important aspect of the condition of the trailer is the subfloor. You are likely to find rot in various places along the perimeter of the floor, especially in the rear, behind the refrigerator, and near the door opening.

My experience is that most trailers this age need a shell-off. I wouldn't pay $8k USD for a major project. Usually when I see an ad that says the trailer is "all original," it just means that there is a lot of work to be done because it has not been done already.

Get as educated as you can before making any trailer purchase. There are many, many, shell-offs that start innocently enough when an inexperienced buyer purchases a "camping ready" trailer from a seller who doesn't really know the condition of the trailer.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:29 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
1975 31' Sovereign
1973 Argosy 24
Edmonton , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by boubou View Post
I'm currently searching an A.S and have found this one

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-travel-traile...500/1177539303

price at 11 000$ CAN

Spoke to the guy and seen to be honest. Say he's willing to deal little bit on the price. The A.S still road safe to tow to my house.

My question: is it a good price or it way more over?

It will be my first A.S restauration ... so I need advices before I buy one.

Just my two cents...it appears you are in Canada, the prices up here are completely different than in the US, in my findings the biggest drawback is actually finding the floor plan and condition of trailer you are willing to deal with. His price is fair from what one can see in the pictures...that said previous comments are accurate as to work and costs involved to get the trailer to a state you are happy with. A few weeks ago I turned down an 71' Excella in good shape with a near pristine interior for 7K it sold a week later for 9K and I've been kicking myself ever since because it had the floor plan and the interior that I wanted AND it had not yet been customized with a bad interior paint job and crappy curtains. That said it did have rear end separation and I'm sure a hundred other yet to be found issues. But for me the originality was very desireable and in my location the chances of me finding another one are extremely slim. My advice is if you know what you want and are willing to spend after you do all the work, take that amount and look for one that's already been done.

And if anyone has a nice Excella 500 - Pre gaudy Airstream wallpaper years for sale please contact me!
Stork is offline   Reply With Quote