Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2016, 12:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

AAAGGHHH. So you wanna buy my trailer.

My Argosy needs some paint. So strangers are always stopping by looking for a deal. Three recently.

#1 He was honest. Knew his stuff and assumed I did. Offered me $10 K, not knowing I had replaced everything to the tune of $20 K plus what I paid for it.

#2 She has a Safari ( and a boat $$$$$ ) Was looking for a fixer upper. Had no clue where to get work done, etc, and didn't want to get her hands dirty. She asked to call later to pick my brain. Maybe she wants a beater to leave at the marina

#3 An older guy, Said my trailer was perfect. Just wanted something to sit in while he was watching airplanes at the local airport. He wanted something that didn't cost a lot. He said he didn't know what kind of camper it was. I asked him if he had heard of Airstreams. He said mine was an Argosy. !!!!!!?????? I have no nameplate on mine. I told him what new ones go for, how much I had into mine and that Argosys didn't have to be polished every so and so years. He said he knew…He was a retired aircraft mechanic. I felt like saying that even stupid people don't like being lied to.

I won't bother with the hand full of, " I was hoping to pick up an old trailer for $500." ( People looking for a hunting cabin, man cave, pool house, or a project)
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:24 PM   #2
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Don't worry Dave, I don't want to buy your trailer. According to the photo under your name, it is too long to park at my house or to go around most corners. I'm sure it is really nice inside.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
I've had the same problems with collector cars. People either don't know what they're looking at and think old=cheap or they're trying to play the game and get a deal counting on you not knowing what you've got.
The other side is the sellers who think what they've got is worth the moon and the stars. Just because it's old doesn't make it a collectors item and just because you spent all your money on it doesn't make it worth a lot of money to anyone else.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Gene

check out the photos of my galley
Old 07-10-2016, 12:36 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The most recent one at our house offered me a couple hundred bucks for that old trailer in the back yard. I told the woman if she showed up with $12,000 in cash, I might sell it. After I told her I wasn't stupid, and I work for the local Airstream dealer, and know what they're worth, you could almost see the smoke coming off her shoes as she fled the scene of the crime...
Old 07-10-2016, 12:53 PM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
check out the photos of my galley
Where?

General rule of thumb: Everyone wants more than the item is worth when they sell it ("testing the market") and everyone wants a really good deal when they are buying. Sometimes the numbers are so far from reality it is laughable, or insulting.

Gene

Old 07-10-2016, 12:58 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Where?

Gene
http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...imageuser=4122
Old 07-10-2016, 01:01 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
I feel your pain. We had our '74 Argosy for sale & the calls we got were just crazy. Then we had some folks come by who wasted their time & ours because they couldn't afford it. After6 months we just took the ad down & then we had multiple offers. Go figure
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Yeah, I know I'll never get my money back out of it.

But if I sold it, I'd have to buy one not nearly as nice as mine.

So let them buy a basket case and spend time and money on it. Instead of me doing it for them.

Again….Brag to your friends that you stole it, at the price you got it for. But if you steal it someone got robbed.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:46 PM   #10
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Thanks Terry. Nice job remodeling, but Dave, do you sometimes feel like you are in an aluminum padded cell? What is that on the walls?

Gene

Old 07-10-2016, 06:21 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Is the cute dog part of the deal?
Trnpk Crsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
If I gave you 20K for the dog is the trailer free?
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:55 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Lemont , Illinois
Back in April I was camping in Ginnie Springs, FL when a guy asked how much I paid for my Airstream. I said, "It's a 2011 - I bought it used in 2014 for thirty-eight".

He nodded, knowingly, and replied, "Yeah - thirty eight hundred seems about right..."
Glenn T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:03 PM   #14
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
I just sold my '05 25' Safari and feel both the buyer and I got a fair deal.
I stored it in a barn for 5 years on blocks and used it very frequently to
sleep in and garden away from the city. And just hang out and compose.
I got a little more than most would get because I was honest in the deal and
kept all receipts. And up-graded and repaired almost every thing as time passed.
But it was still almost perfectly "stock, out of the factory".

I infer from a lot of the add's I see that most are kept out side, not up graded and try to sell when it is past due for practically everything. Disaster!!

I've now moved into what was a '65 26' (now 28) that I built up from the axels to the roof. It's cost me almost as much as I got for the '05. But it is a TOTALLY different beast.

Now I know that I've got to use the hell out of it (and baby it) for a couple years to make it pay me back.

I did this in my drive way, (next to a trashed '71 24'....next victim) and the street traffic I get wastes a lot of my time but the compliments keep me going on those nasty, rusty, rivity days so I don't mind.
It DOES concern me that almost no one appreciates what these things cost to buy and maintain.
And hope fully this forum is the solution to that!!!!!!!
See ya'll in a couple years....PS Parting out the '71....it's too far gone and so am I after the '65.
Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote