Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2017, 06:13 AM   #1
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
A case of diminishing returns?

How much do we invest in a trailer before we end up NOT getting the return on that investment we think we should.

Case in point is this trailer; shell off, new floor and is probably very nice inside, BUT.......

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-travel-traile...ationFlag=true

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:31 AM   #2
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Not sure where that that line was, but I think they went way past it?

Interesting that the ad says they used spray foam insulation in the walls and floor. From what I have gathered in other posts, will this trailer need to stay stationary to keep the foam from turning to dust over time?

Also, they list a Wave 8 heater as the only source of heat... and it is sufficient "for even the harshest winter nights"?
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Your trailer is not a investment, it's a expense. One that you either can afford, and love to make or...

A investment is your IRA, 401, etc.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Got to know that you are looking at some cult/ collector appeal when you see asking prices like that. Guess it can't hurt to ask.

Big $s to be sleeping in the kitchen.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:28 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Maybe that is Canadian dollars? Still...
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:52 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
Your trailer is not a investment, it's a expense. One that you either can afford, and love to make or...

A investment is your IRA, 401, etc.
THIS ^ ^ ^

You can make a game of minimizing the expense, but few if any will ever gain financially from it.

We bought an older model to avoid depreciation, but have no illusions of it being an investment.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:48 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
We had a 50 foot sail in Hawaii and I have sail all of the Hawaiian islands and some of the South Pacific and the word BOAT stands for BREAK OUT ANOTHERN THOUSAND.

AS is in away the same venture, the best time of owning a Boat or AS when you first get it and the second time is when you sell it.

You want to look good going down the road and to have all the things that you have a home to a point, we look at it as a means of see our great country and not be tired to staying in Hotels and staying as long as we want in places.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dames7 View Post
We had a 50 foot sail in Hawaii and I have sail all of the Hawaiian islands and some of the South Pacific and the word BOAT stands for BREAK OUT ANOTHERN THOUSAND.

AS is in away the same venture, the best time of owning a Boat or AS when you first get it and the second time is when you sell it.

You want to look good going down the road and to have all the things that you have a home to a point, we look at it as a means of see our great country and not be tired to staying in Hotels and staying as long as we want in places.
I heard that a boat is a "Hole in the water, that you pour lots of money into"!
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
If you think it's a spreadsheet exercise stop now and invest your hard earned money in a basket of ETF's and dividend stocks. Or - buy / build some rental property. There is no accounting creative or real-world that will make an investment in a trailer turn a positive ROI. There are companies that seem to make money on frame-off restores but to make money they use top quality materials, pay real money for real talent, and charge a profitable price afterward. Not sure but maybe the handful that are really making it work commercially sell up to 1 per month or every two months? I am not aware of anyone that buys an Airstream and puts it in a barn for 20 years and sells it for 3x their investment. I haven't seen an Airstream - vintage, hopped up and restored, nor brand new cross the stage at Barrett-Jackson. It's all about buying something for fun and, in the case of RV's in general, there are a lot of them out there for sale and supply / demand will keep prices in check
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 02:52 PM   #10
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Not trying to be over cynical, but the only people to make money out of renovating Airstreams are the ones being paid to work on them. Even the large commercial operations are doing commissioned builds and aren't left trying to sell the finished unit.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:35 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
If you buy in the USA and sale in the USA that's true.

My was a French design Beneteau, sold in the South Pacific which is a high demand for good ships, I sail for 8 yrs and sold what I put into it with and walk away if enough to buy the AS.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:54 PM   #12
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
The drugs must be starting to wear off.......It's gone from $145,000 to $96,000 Canadian.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-travel-traile...ationFlag=true

Good luck to them.
Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Maybe comparing apples and oranges, but Newell uses a foam insulation in their coaches. As I recall from the tour, a couple of years ago, it is done in two or three steps, and I believe that the first spray is one that helps hold the rest of it in place. The spraying sure makes a mess that then has to be cleaned up before the next step, but Newell owners seem to think that they have fewer air leaks. BTW, Newells are aluminum-skinned, too.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote